Windows 10: Windows Defender notification area icon

Discus and support Windows Defender notification area icon in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I like to see the Windows Defender notification area icon, so I've set my PC to show that item. However, is there a way to turn off the exclamation... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gogreen, Aug 30, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

Windows Defender notification area icon

I like to see the Windows Defender notification area icon, so I've set my PC to show that item. However, is there a way to turn off the exclamation point item in that icon that says I haven't run a scan in a while? My last scan was 4 days ago and I don't want to be hounded to run more scans. I see no settings for that in Windows Defender settings. As I recall, this adjustment could be made in Windows 7, from which I upgraded to Windows 10. Thanks.

:)

gogreen, Aug 30, 2015

2. Lost the screen icon for the Microsoft security essentials after upgrading to Windows 10.

Windows Defender replaced MSE in 8, 8.1 & 10. If you don't have the icon in
    the Notification Area....................

Windows Defender Notification Area Icon - Hide or Show in Windows 10
    Hide or Show Windows Defender Notification Area Icon in Windows 10

Bruce Hagen, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Bruce Hagen, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello gogreen, *Smile

Usually going ahead and running another quick or full scan should clear it.

Brink, Aug 30, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
  6. gogreen Win User
    Hi Shawn. It does clear it, but every four days? Sheesh! I don't need to run scans that often. That's why I was hoping to be able to keep the icon in the notification area but remove the scan reminders. If I can't remove the reminders, I'll probably go back to the default setting of removing the icon from the notification area.

Thanks, jds63. Just saw your post. I'll check that out.

gogreen, Aug 30, 2015
  7. Is there a way to force it the Windows Defender icon to appear in the Task Tray without starting Windows Defender first?

For me at least, the Windows Defender icon doesn't appear in the Task Tray unless it's started first.

I've found 2 solutions, however both require starting up Windows Defender first (at first logon), either through Task Scheduler or by setting Windows Defender as a Startup application.

nosecureboot, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello nosecureboot, *Smile

You can use the method in the tutorial below to always show the Windows Defender notification area icon without having to do all that.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  10. gogreen Win User
    I reset only the scheduled scan task with a new trigger, but the warning icon with yellow exclamation point is back in the system tray. I suspect all four Windows Defender tasks are tied together, and I'm a bit leery about messing with any more of them. I suspect that any one of those tasks triggers the warning icon. So I guess I'll just wave goodbye to the system tray icon and return that setting to the default.

gogreen, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    Just curious, are you running CCleaner? If so, you need to disable anything related to Defender when you run it.

This was a problem with 7 & 8, if you ran it & didn't uncheck MS Malware & MS Security client, as it would erase the logs & make it appear as though a scan was not run in a long time.

Borg 386, Aug 31, 2015
  12. gogreen Win User
    Yes, I do run CCleaner.

Where? I see no option to uncheck these items in CCleaner.

gogreen, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Borg 386 Win User

When you launch CCleaner, there will be 2 tabs. Click the applications tab, scroll to the bottom & you will see the choices under Windows.

Windows Defender notification area icon [​IMG]

Windows Defender notification area icon [​IMG]

Borg 386, Sep 1, 2015
  14. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, Borg 386, but I'm using the latest version of CCleaner free and I do not have those options. Are you using the paid version?

gogreen, Sep 1, 2015
  15. Borg 386 Win User
    I'm using the free version as well, a bit older but it still does it's job. Perhaps they haven't upgraded it yet for 10? Or perhaps that function is moved to somewhere else or just not available on 10?

The only suggestion I would have is to not run it for 5 days & see if you still get the nag screen. I know the newer version installs itself so it runs in the background & monitors your system & deletes files when they reach a certain capacity, so perhaps the settings are there somewhere.. Another test would be to disable background scanning & then wait for 5 days to see if it re-appears.

Strange they would get rid of that option from the list, if they did indeed do that.

Scratch that 10 comment, just visited the site & I see it's been updated for 10.

Borg 386, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Defender notification area icon - Similar Threads - Defender notification area

2. Icons in Taskbar Notification Area

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons in Taskbar Notification Area: I keep having to re-enable my preferred apps in the "Select which icons appear on Taskbar notification area". Is there a fix for this? 183716
  3. Notification Area Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification Area Icons Missing: Most of the previous icons I had in my Notification Area are gone. I've tried resetting them in TaskBar Settings with no luck. Have also tried resetting Windows Explorer. Nothing works! Help!...
  4. Unwanted icons in the notification area

Unwanted icons in the notification area: Some programs insist on putting their icon in the notification tray, and then the company uses that "feature" for advertising in relentless pop up notifications. This is not an appropriate use of the notification tray, nor should have Microsoft allowed such program behavior...
  5. notification area sound icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    notification area sound icon: Windows 10 on Bootcamp - Notification area sound icon does not control sound, any ideas please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-area-sound-icon/4cf1a029-4624-41fc-88d5-8f22ea492241
  6. icon in notification area

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    icon in notification area: my icon in notification area has grows legs and left it is missing . how do I get it back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/icon-in-notification-area/d449855c-35f5-4971-adc1-47e795376db8
  7. Notification Area Icons location

Notification Area Icons location: Could not find "Notification Area Icons" in "All Control Panel Items" for Windows 10, but I could find it under Settings-System-Notifications. Is that normal for Windows 10? How can I add it in the "All Control Panel Items"? Thanks 42364
  8. Customize the Notification Area Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize the Notification Area Icons: Hi ! In Windows 7 there was a pannel to customize which icons you want to show or hide in the Notification Area. Like this : [img] Does this pannel got deleted in Windows 10 ? If yes, is there a solution to hide/show icons from the notification area ? The options...
  9. Notification area icon problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification area icon problems: Hey guys, A few days ago I started getting a pop up error message when I log in to windows. [img] Aside from this error, which from what I understand says that it is having trouble loading the icon in the notification area, I also noticed that the icons for some...
  10. Hide or Show Windows Defender Notification Area Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Windows Defender Notification Area Icon in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Windows Security Notification Area Icon in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Windows Security Notification Area Icon in Windows 10 The version 1703[/b] and later that makes it is easier for you to view and control the security protections you choose...