Windows 10: Windows Defender Offline Scan failure with Error code: 0xc0000221

Discus and support Windows Defender Offline Scan failure with Error code: 0xc0000221 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I run 'Windows Defender Offline Scan' the PC reboots and displays a blue "Recovery" screen saying: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkP777, Nov 14, 2019.

1. MarkP777 Win User

Windows Defender Offline Scan failure with Error code: 0xc0000221

When I run 'Windows Defender Offline Scan' the PC reboots and displays a blue "Recovery" screen saying:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Error code: 0xc0000221

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you ...........

None of the boot options work when selected, but a Ctrl-Alt-Del did allow the PC to successfully boot back into Windows.

I assumed this may be because of a recovery partition problem, but this looks ok to me:

WINRETOOLS, 490 MB NTFS, Healthy (OEM Partition)

500 MB, Healthy (EFI System Partition)

OS (CWindows Defender Offline Scan failure with Error code: 0xc0000221 :), 464.11 Gb NTFS. Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

571 MB NTFS, Healthy (OEM Partition)

Any ideas?

:)

MarkP777, Nov 14, 2019
  2. Steve C Win User

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Nov 14, 2019
  3. windows Defender Offline scan not working - Error code 0x800000a

windows defender offline scan not working! error code 0x800000a and ID event 2031

Jonavigator1, Nov 14, 2019
  4. Jorge Tan Win User

offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Offline Scan failure with Error code: 0xc0000221 - Similar Threads - Defender Offline Scan

2. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  3. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  4. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  5. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  6. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. System error code 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System error code 0xc0000221: I ran into an error. when i tried using a usb with windows 10 i got an orange screen, and now my pc wont connect to screen, keybord or anny other plugins. the only thing i am able to do is toggle the power. [IMG]...
  8. BSOD - Error code: 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Error code: 0xc0000221: I am stuck in an inescapable loop. Whenever I try to boot, I get BSOD into the 0xc0000221 error page with 4ish options: F1 to enter safe environment (Doesn't work. just reboots to the same screen.) F8 to enter boot options (Doesn't work, each option takes me back to the...
  9. Windows 10: Error Code: 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Error Code: 0xc0000221: Hi guys, first time posting as today as at 7:00~ i got the error code Error Code: 0xc0000221. I personally am not experienced with computers so i have decided to post this thread in the hope someone will help me. The system says: File:\\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe error...
  10. Error Code: 0xc0000221

in Windows 10 Support
    Error Code: 0xc0000221: Hi guys, First time user here so not sure what I should put in the thread. I am basically in a bit of a shit situation as my laptop (Acer Aspire) has been quite laggy lately (Windows 10) and I just had junk everywhere so I decided to wipe everything. Now after my factory...
Tags: