Windows 10: Windows Defender Offline Scan takes 5+ minutes to start

Discus and support Windows Defender Offline Scan takes 5+ minutes to start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Windows Defender offline scan used to start immediately but now it take 5-6 minutes before the computer reboots. I thought it was maybe because... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kuroko, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Kuroko Win User

Windows Defender Offline Scan takes 5+ minutes to start

Hi,

Windows Defender offline scan used to start immediately but now it take 5-6 minutes before the computer reboots. I thought it was maybe because of BitDefender which I installed recently but I tried uninstalling it it and it seemed to do the same. I recently installed the feature update to windows 10, version 20H2 update. I'm not sure if the issue was there before or not.

I ran a full scan using windows defender and bit defender, both came out fine. I also installed malware bytes and ran that and that was fine too. I uninstalled it since.

I ran a DISM and sfc can, and everything was fine.

Any ideas?

ETA, I will do a separate post but the BitDefender recue environment doesn't seem to work. I thought I,d include a quick note in case it might be related.

:)

Kuroko, Jan 25, 2021
  2. MecHNuke Win User

Unable to start Windows Defender offline scan

When attempting to start an offline scan in Windows Defender, the following happens:

• I am prompted to save my work and warned this will restart my computer
    • I click "Scan"
    • The advanced scans window is shown, with "Time elapsed:__" and "__ files scanned" left blank. As well as an empty grey progress bar.

The computer does not restart, even if waiting the suggested 15 minutes. Nothing happens. How can I fix this?

(I've seen there are one or two other threads related to this topic, but I didn't see any actual resolution and the comments seem to have dried up)

Version: Windows 10 (1709)

MecHNuke, Jan 25, 2021
  3. Jorge Tan Win User
    offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Offline Scan takes 5+ minutes to start - Similar Threads - Defender Offline Scan

2. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  3. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  4. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  5. Defender Offline Scan isn't starting???

Defender Offline Scan isn't starting???: I tried to run Microsoft defender offline scan to make sure my pc is clean . I ran it after giving the admin rights it doesn't runs I tried multiple times but no response from it, even after 10 min it doesn't starts .So I restarted my pc after it run that again still run two...
  6. Defender Offline Scan isn't starting???

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defender Offline Scan isn't starting???: I tried to run Microsoft defender offline scan to make sure my pc is clean . I ran it after giving the admin rights it doesn't runs I tried multiple times but no response from it, even after 10 min it doesn't starts .So I restarted my pc after it run that again still run two...
  7. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting

Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting: Everything is up to date and even did a fixdsk. It acts like it's starting but never actually starts that I can tell. Usually it starts and does a scan on reboot.I need to check my other computers to see if this is a widespread issue....
  8. Windows defender offline scan doenst start

Windows defender offline scan doenst start: I click on the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device", and when I click Yes, it goes back to the Windows Defender GUI without running the scan. Is there a way to fix this?...
  9. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting

Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting: Offline scans suddenly stopped working. I can initiate an offline scan in the usual way (Virus & Threat Detection > Options > Windows Defender Offline Scan), and I get the usual popup that tells me the computer is going to restart, and it does restart, but instead of seeing...
  10. Windows defender offline scanning cannot start

Windows defender offline scanning cannot start: Offline scanner cannot start even on a standalone USB scanner. Offline scanner returned a error message said "The System drive or Windows system cannot be found". My Windows system is located on a SSD! It can start normally! Please suggest! Regards, David Suen...