Windows 10: Windows Defender only partially removing malware

Discus and support Windows Defender only partially removing malware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I have a Windows 10, 64bit platform. I noticed that my screen was momentarily going black when opening some applications mainly Microsoft ones.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Thylacine, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Thylacine Win User

Windows Defender only partially removing malware

Hi

I have a Windows 10, 64bit platform.

I noticed that my screen was momentarily going black when opening some applications mainly Microsoft ones. One suggestion was to download the virus checker from Microsoft MSERT which I did and ran. It picked up the win32/Dartsmouth malware and partially removed. I then tried to follow the instructions for manual removal but it was not listed as an app so I hit a dead end.

A day or so later I noticed the same problem so ran the virus checker again and got the same result. This is becoming a regular occurrence and it suggests that the malware has an adaption to reinstall itself. I downloaded AVG and Malwarebytes to see if either of those could pick up and completely remove the virus but neither identified the virus.

Any suggestions on how to completely remove this malware?

Thanks

:)

Thylacine, Apr 18, 2020

2. malware partially removed

Hello Ashish,

This means that the malware has already been removed but you may need to take additional actions like running a virus scan to make sure that all malwares are removed. For further explanation, we suggest that you refer to the answers of Le Boule, Cyber_Defend_Team,
    and quietman7 on this
    thread link

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Hector Mad, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Amadeus51 Win User
    Malware removal

Understood, OldMike. I will keep your suggestion in mind. I always appreciate suggestions from those who know more than I do. I think the Malware did do more than one scan, because I had to approve removal of what it found twice. I don't see Windows Defender on the list of programs. I think it was on there before they redid the software. Pluto TV also disappeared.

Amadeus51, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Le Boule Win User

Get message Defender is removing Malware.

Sounds like the malware detections may be in a browser.

Can you give us the complete name/file path of the malware (as it appears under quarantine or on the list of detected items)?

Have you emptied temporary internet files and rebooted the computer? Then do a manual update of WD followed by a Quick Scan.

Any new browser extensions that need to be disabled?

Try this free scanner:
    http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/06/09/how-to-find-and-clean-malware-infections-with-emsisoft-emergency-kit/

If the detections continue see the following free removal guide from Malwaretips.com:
    Remove Viruses, Trojans & Malware from Windows PC (Free Guide)

To remove malware from Windows, follow these steps:

STEP 1: Scan your computer with Kasperskty TDSSkiller

STEP 2: Scan your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

STEP 3: Stop the malicious process with Rkill

STEP 4: Double-check for malware with HitmanPro

STEP 5: Scan your computer with AdwCleaner

(OPTIONAL) STEP 6: Scan your computer with Zemana AntiMalware

(OPTIONAL) STEP 7: Reset your browser to default settings

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Defender only partially removing malware - Similar Threads - Defender partially removing

2. Windows Defender won't remove certain malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender won't remove certain malware: Windows Defender detects multiple "PUABundler:Win32/PhotoScapeBundler," When I select Remove or Quarantine and click Start actions, nothing happens. The malware stays there for weeks. Although the threat is low, it's not present to have them. Two other antivirus software...
  3. Windows Defender won't remove certain malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender won't remove certain malware: Windows Defender detects multiple "PUABundler:Win32/PhotoScapeBundler," When I select Remove or Quarantine and click Start actions, nothing happens. The malware stays there for weeks. Although the threat is low, it's not present to have them. Two other antivirus software...
  4. Windows Defender won't remove certain malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unknown Malware were detected and partially removed

Unknown Malware were detected and partially removed: I used Microsoft Safety Scanner - 1.0.3001.0 to scan for malware after Microsoft Windows Defender found a malware threat but the result of MS Safety Scanner was "Unknown Malware Detected, not removed". Does anyone know what this mean? After Windows Defender found the malware...
  6. Windows Defender does not remove malwares

Windows Defender does not remove malwares: Hello, I am using Windows 8.1. Every time I scan my laptop, Windows Defender detects these malwares : Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C48 VirTool:Win32/Obfuscator.C Trojan:Win32/Malex.gen!E Trojan:Win32/BlueTeal!rfn All of them show as severe active threats. When I...
  7. Problem Removing Malware in Windows Defender

Problem Removing Malware in Windows Defender: Recently, I scanned my USB and it found a malicious file. I reformat my USB But according to my Windows Defender its still there, And i tried to remove but it's still coming back, so i scanned my PC it said there were no threats. How can I remove this? because still it...
  8. Malware removes Windows Defender

Malware removes Windows Defender: Hi! About two weeks ago I've got a virus, which not only wasn't found or blocked by Windows Defender but it has completely deleted Defender from system! I've used Malwarebytes to delete malware and then I used system restore to have Defender back. But two days ago the same...
  9. Malware disabled (or removed) Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Malware disabled (or removed) Windows Defender: Here's what happened: i started my laptop normally and i went AFK for a while, the fan went full power, it was weird because I've never heard it going so fast, so I opened task manager to search for the culprit and the fan went slow again, I IMMEDIATELY thought "cryptominer",...
  10. malware win32/lodi found on my computer and said "only partially removed"

malware win32/lodi found on my computer and said "only partially removed": Sir/Ms- as above , I tried to manually delete the above but could not find it under tasks or programs. Can you suggest anything as my computer seems to run ok ; I run Avast Antivirus and not just Windows Defender ; thanks, jimtennisred...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MSERT.exe