Windows 10: Windows defender only scanning few files

Discus and support Windows defender only scanning few files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My windows defender is only scanning 17 files. I tried full scan, custom scan, quick scan and I tried 3 of these again after doing offline scan. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by vraj shah1, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Windows defender only scanning few files

My windows defender is only scanning 17 files. I tried full scan, custom scan, quick scan and I tried 3 of these again after doing offline scan. I tried restarting the laptop but it doesn't have an effect on defender. My all systems and antivirus is updated. I don't have any external antivirus.

:)

vraj shah1, Mar 23, 2023

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Mar 23, 2023
  3. avemaria Win User
    right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Mar 23, 2023
  4. Windows defender only scanning few files

Cannot schedule scans for Windows Defender

Hi Nathaniel,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you can’t schedule scans for Windows defender and getting error message pop ups: “The combination of properties that task is using is not compatible with the scheduling
    engine” on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

There could be a possibility that this issue might have occurred if there are corruptions in Windows defender services.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

You can enable the Windows Defender either from control panel or from services.

Step 1:
    Enable Windows Defender from control panel

• Press Windows + X, Click on control panel.
    • On right top corner click on View and then choose large items.
    • Now from the list click on Windows Defender and try to enable it.
    If not try to enable it from services.

Step 2:
    Enable Windows Defender from services.msc.

• Press Windows + R, to open run prompt.
    • Type services.msc and press enter to open services list.
    • Under services look from Windows defender service and start the service and set to automatic.
    Note: If the services are already started, then click on the option that says: “Restart the service” and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how
    to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to
    scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.
    If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

All the above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

Windows defender only scanning few files

1. Windows defender only scanning few files - Similar Threads - defender scanning few

2. Windows defender only scanning few files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender only scanning few files: My windows defender is only scanning 17 files. I tried full scan, custom scan, quick scan and I tried 3 of these again after doing offline scan. I tried restarting the laptop but it doesn't have an effect on defender. My all systems and antivirus is updated. I don't have any...
  3. Windows Defender scans too few files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender scans too few files.: Hello. I recently noticed that windows defender scans very few files, it used to scan 55 thousand files. This is fine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-scans-too-few-files/1e9cf0a3-7e43-4476-a5ca-03c46840c892
  4. Windows Defender scans too few files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender scans too few files.: Hello. I recently noticed that windows defender scans very few files, it used to scan 55 thousand files. This is fine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-scans-too-few-files/1e9cf0a3-7e43-4476-a5ca-03c46840c892
  5. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  6. Scanning Jar file with Windows Defender

Scanning Jar file with Windows Defender: Can windows defender scan Jar files and tell me if they have malicious intents. I downloaded some safe jar files as mods for some of my game , but now I do wonder if there could be some kind of hidden virus windows defender cannot handle. [Original Title: Windows Defender]...
  7. Windows Defender only scan a few files and quits after update on Win 10

Windows Defender only scan a few files and quits after update on Win 10: Windows Defender only scan a few files and quits after update on Win 10. on all my updated Win 10 machines 14 files and it quits, custom seems to work....
  8. Windows Defender only scanning 15 files

Windows Defender only scanning 15 files: Just today, Defender started scanning 15 files only (quick or full) Quick scan normally scans 38,000+Full 1.11M+ everything was OK yesterday, support will call on 20/09/2019 Running Windows 10 (1809) on i7 laptop Has anyone come across this before?...
  9. Why is my Windows Defender only scanning four files?

Why is my Windows Defender only scanning four files?: Starting this afternoon, inexplicably, whether I use "quick scan" or "full scan", Windows Defender will only scan 4 files, and the scanning process only lasts for a few seconds. May I ask how is this going? How to solve?...
  10. Scan Single File with Windows Defender

Scan Single File with Windows Defender: Windows support information states that to scan a single file or folder to <rightclick> the item in file explorer and select "scan" In win8.1 there is no "scan" option when a file or folder is <rightclicked> Any options to scan individual items? Thanks in advance,...