Windows 10: Windows Defender (or assume its the cause) removing files from my computer without any...

Discus and support Windows Defender (or assume its the cause) removing files from my computer without any... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This has been happening for a while now and its is really inconvenient. Windows Defender just randomly deletes files what it assumes is a threat and I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TheCheddar, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windows Defender (or assume its the cause) removing files from my computer without any...

This has been happening for a while now and its is really inconvenient. Windows Defender just randomly deletes files what it assumes is a threat and I cannot even recover the files. There is no history of threats or quarantined files.

Like for example a simple game I'm playing called osu! has songs or so called beatmaps for the game and every time I restart my computer there are some missing. I can't understand why because windows recognizes it's format and leaves most of the songs.

A month ago I even lost an entire hd's data for no apparent reason. And no there is nothing malicious on my computer and I wasn't even connected to the internet.

All I want is Windows Defender to be more interactive in its activities than assuming what ever it scans is a threat or not and just removing it completely without the possibility of recovering anything.

:)

TheCheddar, Jan 27, 2019

2. Windows Defender - File Removed

Windows defender has removed file from my PC as being a medium level threat, I know this file and I also know that windows detects it a false positive.

I want Windows defender to return the file to where it was removed from, but am unable to get it to do this.

I go into defender and its not listed under Quarantined Items.

but is listed under all detected Items. How can I find this file and return it to where it should be?

Peter

PeterByers010201, Jan 27, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jan 27, 2019
  4. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Windows Defender (or assume its the cause) removing files from my computer without any...

Unable to Remove Exclusions from Windows Defender

Thank you for posting back. If you trust a file, file type, folder, or a process that Windows Defender Antivirus has detected as malicious, you can stop Windows Defender Antivirus from alerting you or blocking the program by adding the file to
    the exclusion list. It seems that it was added automatically. We suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and select Update & security.
    • Click Windows Defender.
    • Look for Exclusions and select Add an exclusion.
    • Navigate to the file, folder, or process, and select Exclude this file.

If the steps provided did not work, we recommend that you boot your device to
    Safe Mode
    and redo the process.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender (or assume its the cause) removing files from my computer without any...

1. Windows Defender (or assume its the cause) removing files from my computer without any... - Similar Threads - Defender assume cause

2. How do I solve the "preparing automatic repair" without removing any files from my computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I solve the "preparing automatic repair" without removing any files from my computer?: My computer is in this constant loop of preparing automatic repair, then going to choose an option, in which I see continue, troubleshoot, and turn off your pc. What do I do here?...
  3. How do I solve the "preparing automatic repair" without removing any files from my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I solve the "preparing automatic repair" without removing any files from my computer?: My computer is in this constant loop of preparing automatic repair, then going to choose an option, in which I see continue, troubleshoot, and turn off your pc. What do I do here?...
  4. How do I solve the "preparing automatic repair" without removing any files from my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removing Windows from a HDD without removing data files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Windows from a HDD without removing data files.: I recently purchased a new computer. My old one has a lot of music and photos that I do not want to lose, but I would like to keep the hard drive and install it in my new PC, as a second internal drive. Is there a way to remove the OS and/or the partition, and use it strictly...
  6. Removing Windows from a HDD without removing data files.

Removing Windows from a HDD without removing data files.: I recently purchased a new computer. My old one has a lot of music and photos that I do not want to lose, but I would like to keep the hard drive and install it in my new PC, as a second internal drive. Is there a way to remove the OS and/or the partition, and use it strictly...
  7. starting computer windows removes files without any warnings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    starting computer windows removes files without any warnings: I have this issue now i just turn on my computer and it crashes or something and then just remove my important files witch i worked hard for without reason i lost 2 year progress because of this issue and i am using this computer for study and gaming and it just takes my...
  8. starting computer windows removes files without any warnings

starting computer windows removes files without any warnings: I have this issue now i just turn on my computer and it crashes or something and then just remove my important files witch i worked hard for without reason i lost 2 year progress because of this issue and i am using this computer for study and gaming and it just takes my...
  9. Can I remove uninstall these setup files from my pc, without causing any harm?

Can I remove uninstall these setup files from my pc, without causing any harm?: There are several setup files of JDK 5.0 Update and Java runtime environment 5.0 update JDK 7 And javaTM 7. Java 8 updateHow can I know if my pc uses these or they are just trash, can I uninstall them without any future problem?And also there are so many Microsft Visual...
  10. Files are getting removed completely from PC without any permission

Files are getting removed completely from PC without any permission: I save videos from a game I play with a lot of friends and I've had some really funny and awesome videos on the folder. Just recently for some reason, some of the videos are getting COMPLETELY removed and there's no way to recover them. I have a bought, signed in version of...