Windows 10: Windows Defender or Security denying launch of app?

Discus and support Windows Defender or Security denying launch of app? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I use an app that monitors my Internet usage and reports out to a server and then to friends who see where I've been on the web. It's an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BudPugh, Nov 20, 2019.

1. BudPugh Win User

Windows Defender or Security denying launch of app?

I use an app that monitors my Internet usage and reports out to a server and then to friends who see where I've been on the web. It's an accountability application that I choose to use. On November 6 at about the time 3 Security Intelligence Updates for Windows Defender were done (KBB2267602 versions 1.305.1539, .1547, and .1557), the app stopped reporting and will not launch, appearing to be stopped by Windows Defender. Actually, after adding exclusions (see below), upon restart the app initiates and can be seen for a few seconds in the taskbar tray as well as in the task manager but then "disappears" and the app is not actively doing its monitoring. The app vendor tells me that my antivirus app is treating their app like spyware, preventing it from launching, and that I need to set an exclusion so their app will launch and do its job.

I have turned off everything I can in Windows Security and Defender.

I have tried excluding files, folder, and processes in Windows Security (I can't find such an option in Windows Defender?) that I trust are linked to the offending app but thus far have been unsuccessful in getting it to complete launching and stay on.

Here is the pertinent info from the app's log file prior to setting any exclusions:

5/14/2019 4:41:47 PM | budpu: Error Reported : Access is denied | at System.Diagnostics.ProcessManager.OpenProcess(Int32 processId, Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)

at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetModuleInfos(Int32 processId, Boolean firstModuleOnly)

at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetFirstModuleInfo(Int32 processId)

at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_MainModule()

at EverAccountableLib.Monitoring.Monitor()

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

And here it is with exclusions in place but still without the app doing its job:

11/19/2019 4:35:49 PM | budpu: Managing Preferences..

11/19/2019 4:35:49 PM | budpu: Checking if settings File Exist..

11/19/2019 4:35:49 PM | budpu: Getting settings File Content..

11/19/2019 4:35:49 PM | budpu: Checking Preference File Content..

11/19/2019 4:35:49 PM | budpu: Preferences Has Existing Content.

11/19/2019 4:35:49 PM | budpu: Ever Accountable Started

Any ideas what I can do to get this application working?

:)

BudPugh, Nov 20, 2019
  2. xd1986k Win User

Register Windows Defender Security Center

Hello.
    I can not launch Windows Defender Security Center in my current user account (I can launch it in others). Upon trying to launch it from shortcut I get the message "Package could not be registered". I've tried the standard register all apps and an In-place Upgrade with no results.
    Any suggestions?

xd1986k, Nov 20, 2019
  3. Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Nov 20, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

BlueSound OS conflict with Windows Defender

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that Windows Defender blocks BluOS app. It is very unusual that Windows Defender blocks the app. However, I would suggest you to try adding the app to the Exclusion list of Windows Defender and see if that helps.

To add the application to the Exclusion list, please refer the steps mentioned in the article

Add an exclusion to Windows Security

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender or Security denying launch of app? - Similar Threads - Defender Security denying

2. IT Access denied Windows security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IT Access denied Windows security: When people receive the error of IT access on anti virus make sure you're up to date on your windows updates if your on a fresh laptop pc etc did the trick for me...
  3. IT Access denied Windows security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IT Access denied Windows security: When people receive the error of IT access on anti virus make sure you're up to date on your windows updates if your on a fresh laptop pc etc did the trick for me...
  4. Windows Defender, access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender, access denied: Well this sounds stupid but I open Run, go to Windows Defender file and delete all permissions. So now I can't access the file anymore. I bought cheap windows 10 in the past, since then, I wasn't able to take full control of it since then. Now I'm on Windows 11. How do I fix...
  5. Windows Defender, access denied

Windows Defender, access denied: Well this sounds stupid but I open Run, go to Windows Defender file and delete all permissions. So now I can't access the file anymore. I bought cheap windows 10 in the past, since then, I wasn't able to take full control of it since then. Now I'm on Windows 11. How do I fix...
  6. Windows 11 Defender app not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Defender app not launching: Windows defender worked fine with my windows 10, after upgrading to windows 11, defender app does not launch. I double click the icon and nothing happens....
  7. Windows 11 Defender app not launching

Windows 11 Defender app not launching: Windows defender worked fine with my windows 10, after upgrading to windows 11, defender app does not launch. I double click the icon and nothing happens....
  8. error on Windows Defender/Windows Security App reisntallation

error on Windows Defender/Windows Security App reisntallation: So I tried to reinstall Windows Defender/Windows Security App because it doesn't open and here are the results: Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.error 0x80073B1F: Cannot register the...
  9. Windows Security aka Windows Defender App Problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security aka Windows Defender App Problem: Recently I wanted to add some files in the Windows Security app exclusion list, I was able to add the files but it is not showing below the "+ Add an Exclusion"! Can anyone help me to find out the solution of this problem?? I am using Windows 10 v 20H2 Build 19042.685...
  10. Defender Security Center displays at Windows launch

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Security Center displays at Windows launch: (I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this.) After updating 3 systems with Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (1709) Windows Defender Security Center displays whenever Windows launches at bootup and I then have to close the interface. Previously it would be...