Windows 10: Windows Defender Out of Date & Won't Update after Windows 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Windows Defender Out of Date & Won't Update after Windows 10 Upgrade in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been using Windows Defender -- updating and scanning fairly regularly since last February. After upgrading to Windows 10 yesterday, Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hazratio, Oct 15, 2015.

1. hazratio Win User

Windows Defender Out of Date & Won't Update after Windows 10 Upgrade

I've been using Windows Defender -- updating and scanning fairly regularly since last February. After upgrading to Windows 10 yesterday, Defender showed up as out of date -- last updated in July. When I tried to update it from the Desktop App, it repeatedly failed. When I tried to update it from Windows Updates, none of the updates (including Windows Defender) would download. After rebooting and trying again-- more than once --most of the updates did download, but not Windows Defender and also an HP Update. Finally, after rebooting and trying again, they began to download, but did so slowly and seemed get stuck (e.g. at 50%). After continuing to reboot and restart the update, the percentage of the download at which it would seem to "stick" continued to rise (75% 83% 90%) until finally-- after rebooting and restarting the update several time --I managed to complete the download of the update and install it successfully. I am running a scan as I type this and the desktop app show windows defender as fully updated. Not sure what all this means, but none of the other help threads that I found via google directly addressed my problem so I wanted to document this for anyone else who is having similar problems.

:)

hazratio, Oct 15, 2015
  2. Mel P Win User

Windows 10 Defender has stopped updating in Windows update.

Hello,

Installed WIn 10 on an ASUS Eee as an upgrade to Win 7 starter. Cloned the HDD to an SSD and upgraded that. Needed a few restarts and seems to be fairly stable but it has "crashed" on startup after installing programs or updates twice.

BUT now running OK and has completed several win 10 updates OK. It also initially (up to 26th Aug) updated Defender at the same time. It now however won't install definition updates via Windows update. It will allow manual definition updates (via exe file
    downloads from MS site) and Windows update recognises the Defender is up to date.

If I run the update from within Defender after I have manually updated the definitions then Defender checks and says up to date. If defender is not up to date, it checks for new defs, downloads them but won't install them - comes up with "cant install error".

"Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.205.939.0) - Error 0x80070003"

Any solution please. All ran OK for a few days so some bug has got in there somewhere!

Thanks, Mel

Mel P, Oct 15, 2015
  3. bcurry Win User
    windows defender is not updating the virus and spyware definations

Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting back about this problem.

I upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional.

Using Windows Defender before and after the upgrade.

I don't think any other antivirus has ever been installed on this PC.

I tried rebooting.

I checked the time and date - they are on automatic sync to Microsoft

I ran the trouble shooter, (both options) it said it made changes to the registry, but this hasn't made any difference, even after rebooting the updates still won't install?

The updates that won't install are:

• Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.207.891.0).

• Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - September 2015 (KB890830).

• Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (KB3001652).

bcurry, Oct 15, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

It's taking a while for the updates lately. Sometimes they go at normal speed, other times it takes time. My last update took over 1/2 hr to d/l, coming in small segments like you described, whereas the one before that took about 5 mins. Just give it time when it seems to "hang up," let it continue.

Might want to run an SFC to see if all is well with your OS.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Oct 16, 2015
  5. hazratio Win User
    Thanks--I was able to update the definitions from the desktop app this morning (very quickly--no hangups). Also, whereas my initial "full scan" -- i.e. the first one after the upgrade -- went very slowly (took a few hours), the one that I am running this morning (just as an experiment) seems to be going much faster (already a 1/3 of the way through after just 15 minutes). All is well as far as I can tell...

Those instructions are a bit complicated (and the command prompt says I need to be an admin running a console session or something to that effect). Is there a simple "for dummies" way of doing this -- at least a provisional first step -- that might reveal some possible problems? Thanks again...

hazratio, Oct 16, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    No problem, scroll down to Option Three on the tutorial & follow the instructions. You launch an elevated command prompt & type sfc /scannow. Allow it to run, it could take a while. Run it 3 times if it finds anything wrong. Here is a tutorial for launching an elevated command prompt.

Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

After that, if you want to view the log scroll down to Option Five, copy & paste the code to view it.

Yeah, the slow update thing started with the release of 10, & I was wondering for a while WTF was going on with the updates myself. Did some investigating also & thought it was something on the OS. Started to see after 3 or 4 updates it was a crap shoot whether you got them slow or at normal speed. *Rolleyes

Borg 386, Oct 16, 2015
  7. hazratio Win User
    Thanks again -- all is well, or so it appears:

Windows Defender Out of Date & Won't Update after Windows 10 Upgrade [​IMG]

hazratio, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Out of Date & Won't Update after Windows 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Defender Date Won't

2. Windows 10 out of date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 out of date: I woke up today and had a new symbol on the taskbar saying. "Your version of Windows 10 has reached the end of service. Click to download a newer version of Windows 10 to stay supported."When I go to update my P.C it`s up to date with Windows insider Dev channel, and when I...
  3. My virus protection - Defender - on Windows 10 is out of date.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My virus protection - Defender - on Windows 10 is out of date.: I'm getting notifications that my virus protection is out of date. "Security intelligence" says I can "manually check for updates." When I do that a graphic starts to spin and says "Checking for updates . . . * but it never updates. I've tried it several times....
  4. Issue to fix " Windows defender Is out of date..................

Issue to fix " Windows defender Is out of date..................: Hi I have encountered here mentioned as under issue while installing update : Action centre reports as " Windows defender is out of date Also needed to fix the issue " Install Spyware and malware definitions update " when I tried to install important update, the error...
  5. Windows 10 windows defender date wrong

Windows 10 windows defender date wrong: The Current Time/Date on my computer is 3:01 PM Friday 14th February 2020 According to Windows Defender my protection definitions are out of date and the last update was done 3/03/2020 Almost 3 weeks in the future... Is there anything I can do to fix this, or prevent it...
  6. Windows Defender won't update

Windows Defender won't update: I keep getting a message to update Windows Defender but when I try it says didn't because of internet or network connective.. Internet is on.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-wont-update/53c9f1e8-ee52-4eff-96f2-6ace668e4765
  7. Windows Defender Offline definitions out of date (again)

Windows Defender Offline definitions out of date (again): I used to use the file .iso of Windows Defender Offline (WDO) created by "mssstool32.exe" and "mssstool64.exe" during years without problems. The last week, I updated the .iso file as usual, but when itried to use it, it doesn´t work because "definitions out of date" and It...
  8. Windows Defender won't update

Windows Defender won't update: Hello, I have tried repeatedly to update windows defender after updating to the latest version of Windows 10. It keeps failing ... I have run the troubleshooting and fixed any potential problems. The Windows 10 update installed without any difficulty. Any help would be...
  9. windows defender definitions out of date

windows defender definitions out of date: but I did a manual update just now and did not get any error message and windows update says it is up to date nevertheless, WD reports it is out of date. but it shows green bar at top. and after a restart, when I go to WD settings it says that cloud and sample...
  10. Expiring date after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Expiring date after upgrading to Windows 10: So today I decided to do the free upgrade to Windows 10. But before that I was running on a Windows 10 Insider Preview (clean installation). So everything went normal, it shows that my Windows is activated but when I type in the command menu "slmgr /xpr" it shows me that my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB2267602 install stopped at 50%

2. asus giftbox saying out of date wont update

3. windows defender antivirus out of date but wont update

4. no windows defender after windows 1903 update,
  5. windows defender your windows 10 version is out of date,
  6. cannot run defender scan out of date,
  7. windows defender wont update due to another installation running