Windows 10: Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours

Discus and support Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I am running a Windows Defender Quick Scan on a desktop PC - 2 SSDs of 128 and 256 gb respectively, and 1tb HDD at ~75% capacity. Still, mods... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ColinZarzour, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours

Hello.

I am running a Windows Defender Quick Scan on a desktop PC - 2 SSDs of 128 and 256 gb respectively, and 1tb HDD at ~75% capacity.

Still, mods of other posts say a Quick Scan should be ~30minutes.

What is wrong here?

Thank you,

C

:)

ColinZarzour, Jul 2, 2019
  2. BTC55 Win User

Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option.

My options are:

• Scan
    • Advanced Scan
    • Full Scan
    • Custom Scan
    • Windows Defender Offline scan
    Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete.

Is a quick scan available?

How do I restore this feature?

BTC55, Jul 2, 2019
  3. stdanNRH Win User
    Windows Defender Full Scan Followed By a Quick Scan

After converting to Windows Defender (Windows 10), the first full scan took 21+ hours for about 9 million items. I reset settings to have the PC never sleep when the PC is plugged in and subsequent scans take about 8.25 - 8.5 hours for the 9 million items.
    However, after completing the Full Scan, a Quick Scan starts immediately and automatically. Is this characteristic of Windows Defender Full Scans?

stdanNRH, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours

Windows Defender- Not seeing an automatic daily quick scan

Installed Windows 10 Anniversary update which included the new cloud version of Windows Defender and so far note that there does not seem to be automatic daily quick scan as in previous version. Last automatic scan was on 9/22 so did manual scan on 9/28
    & 9/30. Any suggestions?

[Original title: Windows Defender]

haroldhorowitz, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours

1. Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours - Similar Threads - Defender Quick Scan

2. Tried them all, Windows Defender wants to quick scan ... on mark now to take 10 hours???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried them all, Windows Defender wants to quick scan ... on mark now to take 10 hours???: I have read several resolves for this but they either don't work or the build number has changed something. I am using an old Toshiba Laptop on Windows 10. Below is likely more information than needed. I have tried at least 6 ways to resolve this. The quick scan wants to take...
  3. Defender Quick Scan takes 188 hours with 4-core i7-6700HQ

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Quick Scan takes 188 hours with 4-core i7-6700HQ: Hi,I use Windows 10 occasionally; for admin on my Ubuntu dual boot HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook Intel i7-6700HQ - 16GB RAM - 1TB hard drive half-full. While it ran quickly a couple of years ago, performance is now typically poor; especially during startup.Today the system...
  4. Windows Defender Quick Scan takes 10 hours to finish, doesn't start automatically, and...

Windows Defender Quick Scan takes 10 hours to finish, doesn't start automatically, and...: For the first couple years or so, my laptop ran the Windows Defender Quick Scan on its own in the background and it took 5-10 minutes to finish. At some point lately, the scan hasn't started on its own anymore, but the yellow alert on the taskbar icon warns me that too much...
  5. Quick scan taking too long > 2 hours

Quick scan taking too long > 2 hours: This has been happening since the last month. I don't know what to do. Help plz. I read previous thread no use. I don't use any other AV rather than default window defender.Its already been 2 hours and counting.....Estimated time is only increasing.............
  6. Windows Defender ; quick scan.

Windows Defender ; quick scan.: When I start a scan on Windows Defender, it lasts around two minutes then stops scanning. Can anyone help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-quick-scan/f8f546ed-8728-418a-a754-eb4a7116ea89
  7. Windows Defender Full Scan takes 35 Hours

Windows Defender Full Scan takes 35 Hours: Hello, recently I have undated Windows Version(1903) and runed a full scan on Windows Defender. It writes, that 35 Hours is needed to complete a scan. Is this normal ? (No other antivirus Software is installed on PC). Earlier such a scan needed max 2 hours. Thanks for...
  8. Quick scan takes hours to complete

Quick scan takes hours to complete: What is going on with quick scan? I ran it yesterday and it took all day to run. Also is there a setting to run automatically. It is set to run real-time so is a scheduled scan unnecessary?...
  9. Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows Defender - Quick Scan: Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option. My options are: Scan Advanced Scan Full Scan Custom Scan Windows Defender Offline scan Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete. Is a quick scan available? How do I restore this...
  10. "Working on it..." Message for over 18 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Working on it..." Message for over 18 hours: I am trying to upgrade through that icon on the toolbar. I don't really understand much else. The first time I clicked on Continue (I am guessing that was the download) it took over 8 hours to finish during which time I got the "Working on it..." Message on my desktop. I went...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defender quick scan taking forever

2. windows defender scan takes hours

3. windows defender quick scan takes forever

4. windows defender quick scan taking to long