Windows 10: Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10

Discus and support Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I recently decided to do a quick scan on my computer with Windows Defender. Upon doing so it throttled my CPU to like 95% and my disk to like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FlippingBLEEP, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10

Hello,

I recently decided to do a quick scan on my computer with Windows Defender. Upon doing so it throttled my CPU to like 95% and my disk to like 95% as well. Is this normal? Upon completion of the scan everything went back to normal. Windows 10 is also on my SSD.

Also, when I’m idle from my computer I noticed that Antimalware Service Executable will occasionally throttle my CPU to like 50% and my disk to 70%. However, when I move my mouse or notify that I’m back, it stops. Is this just a idle scan from Windows Defender?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/FlippingBLEEP
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FlippingBLEEP, Dec 31, 2019
  2. BTC55 Win User

Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option.

My options are:

• Scan
    • Advanced Scan
    • Full Scan
    • Custom Scan
    • Windows Defender Offline scan
    Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete.

Is a quick scan available?

How do I restore this feature?

BTC55, Dec 31, 2019
  3. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is.

All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine unusable due to the draining of resources. Not to mention the scan would disappear, but was still running in the background. The only thing I could do at that point was to wait until it was done scanning, or shut down the unit

I found this thread that's about a year old, followed some of the suggestions, but nothing really helps.

I have no problem with the Quick scan.

High CPU usage when Windows Defender perform a Full Scan in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Windows Defender is my only virus protection, so there is nothing to create a conflict.

I put my defender installer folders in the excluded list. I changed my power settings from High Performance to Balanced.

I ran chkdsk /scan, sfc /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and a Memory diagnostic. All normal.

Finally, I did a fresh install.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

kitpzyxmsir, Dec 31, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 31, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10

1. Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Defender quick scan

2. Quick Scan Due in Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Scan Due in Windows Defender: Hello, just a question, what does Quick Scan Due mean in Windows Defender? It usually does it on its own. Is it because I havent been on my computer in a few weeks?...
  3. windows defender quick scans stopped.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender quick scans stopped.: It won't do schedule daily scan as before or shows in notifications that it's done with no threats found but it doesn't appear on windows defender.when I force quick scan or do full scan I get weird number of files count increasing so fast in a very strange manner at the very...
  4. windows defender quick scans stopped.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender quick scans stopped.: It won't do schedule daily scan as before or shows in notifications that it's done with no threats found but it doesn't appear on windows defender.when I force quick scan or do full scan I get weird number of files count increasing so fast in a very strange manner at the very...
  5. windows defender quick scans stopped.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows Defender Quick Scans Issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Quick Scans Issues: Laptop PC running Win 10 Pro, 64-bit, v21H1. Running only Windows Defender with new viral definitions files being installed regularly via Windows Update. This PC has never had any other anti-viral software installed. The Windows Defender icon in notification area had a yellow...
  7. Windows Defender ; quick scan.

Windows Defender ; quick scan.: When I start a scan on Windows Defender, it lasts around two minutes then stops scanning. Can anyone help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-quick-scan/f8f546ed-8728-418a-a754-eb4a7116ea89
  8. My windows defender will not quick scan.

My windows defender will not quick scan.: whenever I click quick scan it will not do the scan. Rather it will grey out for a second like I clicked it then not do anything. Also when I go into virus and threat protection settings nothing is turned on and I can't turn them on. Please help Kind regards Jack...
  9. Windows Defender Quick Scan locations

Windows Defender Quick Scan locations: Does anyone know where exactly the Windows Defender quick scan looks? It states it looks in locations that are the usual locations for malware or something like that, but does not state where it looks. Does anyone know?...
  10. Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows Defender - Quick Scan: Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option. My options are: Scan Advanced Scan Full Scan Custom Scan Windows Defender Offline scan Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete. Is a quick scan available? How do I restore this...