Windows 10: Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added...

Discus and support Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm using: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit After the recent Windows update I am getting the following error when converting books in Calibre. [ATTACH] I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Miss Chief, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added...

I'm using: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

After the recent Windows update I am getting the following error when converting books in Calibre.

Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added... f94970d1-c85d-4f1f-b668-89a4bea25296?upload=true.png

I have added all the exe files in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 including calibre-parallel to the Allowed Apps list:

Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added... 70de48b8-d772-4221-8e90-7c77f7f51d59?upload=true.png

But the error is still coming up.

I can't even exclude the directory in question as there is no option to add an excluded directory and apparently I cannot remove 'Documents' from the list.

I looked in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exploit Guard\Controlled Folder Access

That only lists the apps and folders I have added.

I had a look in the PowerShell get-MpPreference gives the following:

AttackSurfaceReductionOnlyExclusions :

AttackSurfaceReductionRules_Actions :

AttackSurfaceReductionRules_Ids :

CheckForSignaturesBeforeRunningScan : False

CloudBlockLevel : 0

CloudExtendedTimeout : 0

ComputerID : ####X###-#X##-###X-####-####X#X#X###

ControlledFolderAccessAllowedApplications : {C:\Program Files (x86)\...}

ControlledFolderAccessProtectedFolders : {G:\Documents\...}

DisableArchiveScanning : False

DisableAutoExclusions : False

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : False

DisableBlockAtFirstSeen : False

DisableCatchupFullScan : True

DisableCatchupQuickScan : True

DisableEmailScanning : True

DisableIntrusionPreventionSystem :

DisableIOAVProtection : False

DisablePrivacyMode : False

DisableRealtimeMonitoring : False

DisableRemovableDriveScanning : True

DisableRestorePoint : True

DisableScanningMappedNetworkDrivesForFullScan : True

DisableScanningNetworkFiles : False

DisableScriptScanning : False

EnableControlledFolderAccess : 1

EnableNetworkProtection : 0

ExclusionExtension :

ExclusionPath : {G:\Documents\...}

ExclusionProcess :

HighThreatDefaultAction : 0

LowThreatDefaultAction : 0

MAPSReporting : 2

ModerateThreatDefaultAction : 0

PUAProtection : 0

QuarantinePurgeItemsAfterDelay : 0

RandomizeScheduleTaskTimes : True

RealTimeScanDirection : 0

RemediationScheduleDay : 0

RemediationScheduleTime : 02:00:00

ReportingAdditionalActionTimeOut : 10080

ReportingCriticalFailureTimeOut : 10080

ReportingNonCriticalTimeOut : 1440

ScanAvgCPULoadFactor : 50

ScanOnlyIfIdleEnabled : True

ScanParameters : 1

ScanPurgeItemsAfterDelay : 15

ScanScheduleDay : 0

ScanScheduleQuickScanTime : 00:00:00

ScanScheduleTime : 02:00:00

SevereThreatDefaultAction : 0

SignatureAuGracePeriod : 0

SignatureDefinitionUpdateFileSharesSources :

SignatureDisableUpdateOnStartupWithoutEngine : False

SignatureFallbackOrder : MicrosoftUpdateServer|MMPC

SignatureFirstAuGracePeriod : 120

SignatureScheduleDay : 8

SignatureScheduleTime : 01:45:00

SignatureUpdateCatchupInterval : 1

SignatureUpdateInterval : 0

SubmitSamplesConsent : 1

ThreatIDDefaultAction_Actions : {6, 6}

ThreatIDDefaultAction_Ids : {2147609988, 2147717281}

UILockdown : False

UnknownThreatDefaultAction : 0

PSComputerName :

Again there doesn't seem to be any option for excluding a folder or removing documents from the protected files.

This is ridiculous, I have had to turn off this feature entirely just to use this program, I only installed the update 12 hours ago... how many more of my programs are going to have issues with this?

Please advise of some way of removing Documents from the protected files list or someway of adding an exclusion, presumably this will require editing registry or group policies or perhaps some hidden PowerShell command? Alternatively please advise when a fix will be released so it actually allows apps in the Allowed Apps list?

:)

Miss Chief, Mar 28, 2019

2. Unauthorised changes blocked

receive notifications - Unauthorised changes blocked Controlled Folder Access blocked.

How can problem be rectified? (Windows Defender Security Centre - Virus & Threat Protection)

GlenGraetz, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Unauthorised changes blocked

Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender – and in most cases you should be able to simply allow your friendly apps through these “roadblocks” by just adding them to
    the authorized application list (whitelist) with the method described in the documentation. Many friendly apps have already been added to the default whitelist, and these will be allowed through without any hesitation – but unrecognized apps will still have
    to be allowed manually. This is actually pretty simple, and once you’ve successfully whitelisted an app, it will look easy in retrospect:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mi...ting-your-data-with-controlled-folder-access/

The Unauthorized changes blocked notification is preserved in the notification list until it’s dismissed – so just click on the notification icon at the far right of the notification area and then jot down the file path for the blocked
    app. Once you've noted the file path; click on the notification – and that will dismiss it, and then automatically launch the
    Allow an app through Controlled folder access window. Then all you have to do is click on the
    Add an allowed app button (+) and select the app’s executable in the
    Open dialog. Unfortunately, the TechNet and Windows IT Pro Center documentation doesn’t even bother to mention this handy little shortcut, but this humble Windows Support document actually sums it up quite nicely:

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-protection-windows-defender-security-center

The file path in the notification does tend to be truncated – but there’s usually enough of it there to locate the app without any trouble (it’s usually in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory). If the file path is truncated to the point
    where you can’t locate the blocked app in the Open dialog; then open Event Viewer; navigate to the
    Windows Defender Operational log; and locate the blocking event (Event ID 1123):

1. Right-click on the Start button and select Event Viewer.

2. Navigate to Applications and Services
    >
    Microsoft > Windows
    > Windows Defender > Operational

3. Filter for (or just look for): Event ID

Issues with this feature were fully anticipated – and that’s why it includes an Audit Mode, which allows users to monitor folder access activity without having anything blocked.

Right-click on the Start button and select Windows PowerShell (Admin); and then copy, paste, and enter this command:

Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess AuditMode

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ploit-guard/evaluate-controlled-folder-access

If you actually have trouble whitelisting your apps, you might want to turn off Controlled Folder Access for the time being and then try turning it back on again later – or better yet; just make sure that everything is properly backed up on a disconnected
    drive, and then you shouldn't really have to worry about turning it back on:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mi...good-as-any-to-back-up-your-data/?source=mmpc

GreginMich, Mar 28, 2019
  4. trparky Win User

Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added...

Say goodbye to ransomware with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Yes, ransomware will be a thing of the past with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update thanks to something called "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Defender.

Windows 10 will hide your important files from ransomware soon | The Verge

These are protections for your files against ransomware at the kernel and Windows Defender level. Rest easy, your files are safe.

About damn time Microsoft!

trparky, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added...

1. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection - Error: Unauthorised Changes Blocked for App Added... - Similar Threads - Defender Ransomware Protection

2. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off: Hello is again me, i just today looking in Windows Defender and i was just looking on some things and i haved ransomware protection off for like 3 years. Is this something weird? Or just something I had to turn on when I bought the computer? Thanks Max...
  3. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off: Hello is again me, i just today looking in Windows Defender and i was just looking on some things and i haved ransomware protection off for like 3 years. Is this something weird? Or just something I had to turn on when I bought the computer? Thanks Max...
  4. Windows Defender Ransomware Protection off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ransomware Protection keeps blocking svchost.exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware Protection keeps blocking svchost.exe: Recently for whatever reason my Ransomware Protection has started to block svchost.exe from %userprofile%\videos? This happens every time I turn on my PC, I also very odd to because last I checked svchost.exe is legitimate host process and this has just started happening out...
  6. Access to Ransomware Protection blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access to Ransomware Protection blocked: I've seen multiple articles published recently that mention that Microsoft has built in ransomeware protection in Windows 10 and suggest that you can access this protection by specifying "Rasomware Protection" in the search bar. I've done this but when I press enter to access...
  7. Unauthorised changes blocked

Unauthorised changes blocked: Hi Guys. Does anyone know if this programme is ok to ALLOW on device? It wants to access my drives. kpm_service.exe Thanks Greg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unauthorised-changes-blocked/d25898a4-6f3a-45fe-94f3-f52b2ebca589
  8. Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe

Microsoft Defender Ransomware Protection Block Powershell.exe: windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder: %system%\CatRoot -Chome.exe -MRT.exe -powershell.exe -takeown.exe ********** And *********** -mscorsvw.exe (windows Defender block this App Protecd Folder:%system%\config\systemprofile) -attrib.exe (windows Defender block this...
  9. WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection: Windows 10 Home 1909 Protected Memory Access Blocked for WinSAT.exe Protected Folder: \Device\HarddiskVolume3 I have been having problems connecting external hard drives (that's on another thread on this forum) and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? I've...
  10. Unauthorised changes blocked C:\...DDVDataCollector…

in Windows 10 Support
    Unauthorised changes blocked C:\...DDVDataCollector…: Hi, I'm getting a lot of Unauthorised changes blocked C:\...DDVDataCollector…from making changes to memory messages, this happens every few minutes and appears to be happening since the last update. I think I'm right in saying that the DDVDataCollector cannot be turned off,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. threatiddefaultaction_actions allow force; ^

2. signatureaugraceperiod 1440

3. how to allow windows defender offline to run as an allowed app with ransomware protection

4. ALLOW COMTROL FOLDER FOR Unauthorised changes blocked C:\...DDVDataCollector…