Windows 10: Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow

Discus and support Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I use some file shares with many pictures. When I try to open those folder is takes forever to load previews of these pictures. When I disable... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by FerronN, Apr 16, 2020.

1. FerronN Win User

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow

Hi,

I use some file shares with many pictures. When I try to open those folder is takes forever to load previews of these pictures.

When I disable Real-Time protection everything goes well. I did not find a way to exclude this picture location from Real-Time Protection.

Does anyone know how to do this?

:)

FerronN, Apr 16, 2020

2. Untable to Control Windows Defender Real-time Protection On/Off

Sometimes, we need to turn off Windows Defender Real-time protection. In my experience, this software may cause some error to run Android Emulator such as BigNox. It also slowing down my Android Studio. To disable Windows Defender Real-time protection, I
    do these steps:

1. Run Windows PowerShell as administrator
    2. execute set-mppreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring 1
    Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> set-mppreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring 1

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

In Windows registry it will create

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection -> DisableRealtimeMonitoring REG_DWORD 1

Tested on Windows 10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

But, during my computer idle, windows always put Real-time protection on. It is so annoying. I want to control Real-time Protection manually.

IGA Made Muliarsa, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Windows Defender Real Time Protection Service slowing down file access

I noticed after a recent Windows 10 update that Windows Defender's real-time protection
    dramatically slows file system access.

I timed how long it took to build a (Delphi XE6) project with Windows Defender's real-time protection off and on in order to get a sense of how bad it is.

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow 4faf6467-088e-4569-87d4-259624a4dc91.png

I did nothing but alternate between real-time protection off and on (no reboots required, physical hardware):

Trial
    Real-time protection status
    Build time (s)

On
    86.4 s

Off
    4.0 s

On
    84.0 s

Off
    4.0 s

On
    86.9 s

Off
    4.1 s

On
    87.4 s

Off
    3.9 s

Which means:

• Build time with real-time protection off: 4.0 s (sd: 0.082 s)
    • Build time with real-time protection on: 86.2 s (sd: 1.51 s)

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow 463c8028-6809-4b99-b8c5-79c4aa4126b5.png

This means that Windows Defender in Windows 10 has now entered the realm of other crappy anti-virus products - that are a detriment to the user's PC rather than a benefit.

• Of course i'm not going to wipe my PC and reinstall everything.
    • Of course there is no other anti-virus software installed.
    • Of course i made no changes to this PC prior to this happening.
    • Of course this is not a virtual machine.
    • It spontaneously started Wednesday October 19.
    • I have no idea what could have happened to my PC between 5pm on October 18th, and 9am on October 19th:

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow e9b5b2d7-93db-4792-ad78-025aa381d5b3.png

No idea whatsoever.

Without disabling Windows Defender Real-time protection, how do I make Windows Defender not perform file-scans before an application attempts to open a file? That is: how do i make Microsoft's own anti-virus software as fast at it used to be in Windows Vista,
    Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 before a recent update?

Bonus Reading

This question has of course already been asked, and ignored, on these forums.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JackTripper, Apr 16, 2020
  4. adonis08 Win User

Windows Defender Real Time Protection

I did all the step and delete the MsMpEng.exe but still it doesn't turn on Real Time Protection any suggestion please??

adonis08, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow - Similar Threads - Defender Real Protection

2. Windows Defender real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender real time protection: Hello everyone,I have a problem with windows defender, I can't enable real time protection, there is message says "You are using another Antivirus provider, but I don't have and I didn't have before I don't want to use third party Antivirus I have windows 11 , I have...
  3. Windows Defender real time protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender real time protection: Hello everyone,I have a problem with windows defender, I can't enable real time protection, there is message says "You are using another Antivirus provider, but I don't have and I didn't have before I don't want to use third party Antivirus I have windows 11 , I have...
  4. Microsoft defender real time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft defender real time protection: I'm not using any other antivirus program but windows sees something and ıt's blocking defender realtime protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-real-time-protection/e0b61079-a7e9-4f10-b8c6-f638de94e405
  5. Problem with Windows Defender Real-Time Protection

Problem with Windows Defender Real-Time Protection: [ATTACH] I have problem with windows defender real-time. What am I supposed to do with this? [Original Title: sfc scan result translation into human language]...
  6. Real time protection of windows defender

Real time protection of windows defender: Due to some reason I can't turn off my windows security real time protection. But i used to do that pretty easily sometime back. [ATTACH] I am currently logged in as administrator. [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows defender Real time protection

Windows defender Real time protection: error 0×800704ec shows and my real time protection is disabled(in windows defender) even tough i have enabled it in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-real-time-protection/eeb47dbb-bfab-4278-97c2-97a9596e4f24
  8. windows defender real time protection

windows defender real time protection: every time I try to turn on my real time protection a message comes up saying, for your protection some settings are managed by your security administrator. who is the security administrator and how do I fix this?...
  9. Defender: Real Time Protection:

Defender: Real Time Protection:: I just installed the latest Build of Windows 10 . I get this notification in yellow text This setting is managed by your Administrator above the real time protection on Off button and it has been turned on but greyed out. I am not able to disable it. Have scanned it with...
  10. Windows Defender Real Time Protection slowing computer

Windows Defender Real Time Protection slowing computer: I have had my PC since February and in the past couple of days i have been experiencing delays (up to 10 seconds) when browsing the web or opening programs. After so investigating, I have come to the conclusion that it's Windows Defender. When I am doing absolutely...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defender smb1