Windows 10: Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually...

Discus and support Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! This is my first time using this forum, so I apologise if I get any of this wrong. I was running Windows Defender full scan and saw it was... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RobA9_89, May 25, 2020.

1. RobA9_89 Win User

Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually...

Hi!

This is my first time using this forum, so I apologise if I get any of this wrong.

I was running Windows Defender full scan and saw it was scanning through at least 800,000 files I cannot remember the exact figure. However, when it finished and gave me a summary of the results, it said it had only scanned 455,000 files and only took seven minutes it took around 12-15 minutes. Is there any particular reason for this?

I currently have Windows 10 1909 installed.

Thanks

Robert

:)

RobA9_89, May 25, 2020

2. Reported number of files scanned differs, Defender window vs Notifications window

When I manually run a scan, Windows Defender will report 7720 files scanned (or some number in that vicinity). The Notifications/Actions Center will then present that there is a report "Windows Defender scan results" available to view.

Clicking that item opens the "Windows Defender Security Center" window which reports 5256 files scanned (or some number in that vicinity). The difference between these two numbers is seldom the same, but is always around 2464.

I have run consecutive scans 18 times this morning, getting numbers from 7774 to 7720 reported in the "Windows Defender Antivirus" window, and 5296 to 5256 in the "Windows Defender scan results" window. Differences in the count ranged from 2483 to 2464.

I can understand the variation in the file count from one pass to the next because of background processes (e-mail clients, auto-update actions, etc.) altering the number of files present, but why do the two reporting screens show such a large difference
    in the count of files scanned per each scan?

Semper Vaporo, May 25, 2020
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Reported number of files scanned differs, Defender window vs Notifications window

I'm not certain why there'd be a difference between the count displayed by these two interfaces, but it could easily relate to the way they were designed to count items like compressed files or in memory items such as processes.

The larger point is that, though it's still included in the Windows Defender folder, the Windows Defender Antivirus interface isn't linked from anywhere within the existing menu structure in the Creators Update interface that I'm aware. To me this means
    that the Windows Defender Security Center is now considered the official interface, so I wouldn't be using the old Windows Defender Antivirus interface, nor consider it in any way official going forward.

If you recall, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) included the display of the file currently being scanned near the bottom of the GUI window, which I don't recall ever being the case in even earlier versions of Windows Defender. However, watching this
    while scanning with MSE, you'd have seen not only the display of compressed files and their contents, but also those for processes and other special items not normally considered files by the typical user.

So the decision of whether to include these items, including whether to count the individual file contents of larger compressed files or simply consider them one container file is highly subjective.

Personally I've never considered these numbers of any true consequence, since they provide nothing other than a relative idea of the amount of work the application has performed and having nothing to do with the functions of security. In fact, they've more
    often simply added to user confusion, since the very issues I've mentioned can result in their causing confusion when the typical person doesn't understand these technical differences.

Rob

Rob Koch, May 25, 2020
  4. Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually...

File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different

If I right-click on Program Files, and select Properties, the number of files is 7,559.

But if I right-click on Program Files, and select Scan With Windows Defender, the final dialog says that 143,953 files were scanned.

Note that hidden files are visible.

Is there any explanation for the difference in the file counts?

OldGrantonian, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually...

1. Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually... - Similar Threads - Defender reporting different

2. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned: I have Windows 10, with all updates installed. When I run Windows Defender's Full Scan, it varies widely as to how long it takes to run and the number of files scanned. Today I ran a full scan and it finished in 21 minutes 214,812 files scanned. I thought this was not right,...
  3. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned: I have Windows 10, with all updates installed. When I run Windows Defender's Full Scan, it varies widely as to how long it takes to run and the number of files scanned. Today I ran a full scan and it finished in 21 minutes 214,812 files scanned. I thought this was not right,...
  4. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Defender scanned file number - report

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender scanned file number - report: Hello,I have to somehow create a txt file with the result of a full scan.I can see it / when it ran, how many files scanned, No threats found ... But It can not be copied. I checked the log files - but it is not contained the data above .How can I create a custom report - I...
  6. What is the Difference Between A Windows Defender Security Boot Scan vs. Full Scan?

What is the Difference Between A Windows Defender Security Boot Scan vs. Full Scan?: Guys, What is the difference between a Windows Defender Boot Scan vs. a Full Scan? Coinciding with this, what do you get with one that you don't get with the other? Thank you! Jack...
  7. How to compare files with different line endings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to compare files with different line endings: I have two versions of a software package. These are php files so normally I compare them with the directory compare function of Winmerge. However, in this case on of the two has Windows line endings crlf and the other unix lf. So Winmerge concludes that every line is...
  8. Odd Defender Scan Report

Odd Defender Scan Report: After a quick scan, Defender reports the correct scan time. After a while it nags me to perform another scan but reports the last scan was done in 2013 (see below). Why does Defender keep losing track of its scans and is there a fix for this odd behaviour? [img] 141135
  9. File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different

File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different: If I right-click on Program Files, and select Properties, the number of files is 7,559. But if I right-click on Program Files, and select Scan With Windows Defender, the final dialog says that 143,953 files were scanned. Note that hidden files are visible. Is there any...
  10. Temporary files in storage usage says different number than the actual one.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary files in storage usage says different number than the actual one.: Hello guys, When I try to delete the temporary files that is show in the storage usage window, it says that the temporary files is 5GB, but when I click on it and try to delete them, it says only 55 MB is available to delete, so what about the rest of the 5GB why I can't...