Windows 10: Windows defender scanner is taking way too long.

Discus and support Windows defender scanner is taking way too long. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have attempted to use windows defender and chose to use the "Windows Defender Offline scan" option. It has said it would restart and then take about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Alan_Zhang, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Windows defender scanner is taking way too long.

I have attempted to use windows defender and chose to use the "Windows Defender Offline scan" option. It has said it would restart and then take about 15 minutes to finish, but it has taken more than an hour. Inside task manager, it is still running, but I cannot terminate it. I would appreciate it if anyone has a way to stop it.

:)

Alan_Zhang, Apr 26, 2020

2. What are some good free malware, adware, etc. scanners??

AVG Free is good. I use it on my computer and my file server too. And Windows defender is great for a free real time scanner that's not intrusive, but I suggest using Spybot Search and Destroy with Defender.

beyond_amusia, Apr 26, 2020
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Windows defender scanner is taking way too long.

How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows defender scanner is taking way too long.

1. Windows defender scanner is taking way too long. - Similar Threads - defender scanner taking

2. Update takes too long.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update takes too long.: 2022-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems KB5014666 takes way too much time than usual. I mean what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? I don't understand why people even use windows. so much disaster operating system. We can't waste an...
  3. downloads taking way too long to complete.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    downloads taking way too long to complete.: Hi my name is AayanI have been using microsoft store for a long time and came up with this bug.whenever i try to update an app, it takes too long and gets stuck on pending. At one point, microsoft store stopped completely and whenever i tried to open it, it does not open up....
  4. downloads taking way too long to complete.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    downloads taking way too long to complete.: Hi my name is AayanI have been using microsoft store for a long time and came up with this bug.whenever i try to update an app, it takes too long and gets stuck on pending. At one point, microsoft store stopped completely and whenever i tried to open it, it does not open up....
  5. Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.: Recently at about 4:00 PM today I went to restore my windows 10 laptop and its been going for so long now. posted at almost 11:00 PM currently at 54 percent and im going up 1 percent every 8 minutes or so. I have to go to bed and I dont want to wake up in the middle of the...
  6. Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.: Recently at about 4:00 PM today I went to restore my windows 10 laptop and its been going for so long now. posted at almost 11:00 PM currently at 54 percent and im going up 1 percent every 8 minutes or so. I have to go to bed and I dont want to wake up in the middle of the...
  7. Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows Update Taking WAY Too Long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Taking WAY Too Long: I started the process of updating and restrarting my PC at around 10:23PM. It is currently 12:10AM and my PC is stuck on the "working on updates, dont turn off your pc. This will take a while" screen at only 26%! I cant stay awake all night waiting for this stupid thing to...
  9. Windows installation takes way too long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows installation takes way too long: I wanted a clean windows installation again. It’s been 2 hours already and I am only at 14%! How is this possible something must be broken? I cant wait all night (I need my pc tomorrow for work) Should I shut down and restart my pc? submitted by /u/Azertity [link]...
  10. Gaming Services download taking way too long

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Gaming Services download taking way too long: After having an issue installing games through the Xbox Beta App, I decided to run through a handful of troubleshooting steps short of reimaging my machine. The steps I took are as follows: - Reset/Reregister the Windows Store - Run the Windows Store Troubleshooter -...