Windows 10: windows defender security scan freeze

Discus and support windows defender security scan freeze in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In my windows 10 earlier quick scan was stuck at some item number now all security scans quick scan, full scan, offline scan and custom scan are stuck... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JagadeeshBendalam, Feb 8, 2020.

1. windows defender security scan freeze

In my windows 10 earlier quick scan was stuck at some item number now all security scans quick scan, full scan, offline scan and custom scan are stuck at some item number. item number is not specific. wait for your reply...

:)

JagadeeshBendalam, Feb 8, 2020
  2. Tim1901 Win User

Custom Scan with Windows Defender Freezes

I am running Windows defender on a Windows 10, 64 bit desktop. When I run a normal scan, it works perfectly. However, I have an external drive for storage that I want to be include in the scan. I open Defender, and under the Scan Options, I choose Custom
    Scan, and then Scan Now to bring up the available drives to scan. At that point, the program freezes and will not bring up the list of drives. It just sits there with the hourglass showing as though it is working, but nothing ever happens. I try to close the
    program and restart it, but it won't close. I go to Task Manager to close it, and I still can't close it. I finally have to shut the computer down, or restart it to get the program to release. I do not have any other security program, such as Norton, McAfee,
    etc., on the PC. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm no expert, so a "simple plan" would be appreciated if possible. As info, my wife has the same PC with an external drive just like mine, and her Windows Defender program works perfectly on a custom scan.
    Thanks for your help!!!

[Original Title: Windows Defender]

Tim1901, Feb 8, 2020
  3. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 8, 2020
  4. windows defender security scan freeze

Windows Defender Scanning

Hi,

My Windows Defender freezes after scanning few files, both in quick scan and full scan. can't get any scanning done. I have Windows 10, Please suggest a way forward.

Bwana Shashi, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

windows defender security scan freeze

1. windows defender security scan freeze - Similar Threads - defender security scan

2. Windows Defender gets stuck / freezes on full scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender gets stuck / freezes on full scan: I have an HP All-In-One desktop computer with Windows 11 Pro installed. I generally have the "Screen and Sleep" settings to turn off the screen after 5 minutes, and put the device to sleep after two hours. I use Windows Defender, and like to manually run a full scan every...
  3. Windows Defender gets stuck / freezes on full scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender gets stuck / freezes on full scan: I have an HP All-In-One desktop computer with Windows 11 Pro installed. I generally have the "Screen and Sleep" settings to turn off the screen after 5 minutes, and put the device to sleep after two hours. I use Windows Defender, and like to manually run a full scan every...
  4. Defender crashing PC, Security Scan not helpful

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender crashing PC, Security Scan not helpful: Since last weekends Defender update whenever it runs it blue screens. Tried running Security Scans, both quick and full. Whilst they were running they each flagged that problems were found but at the end stated there were no problems. Not much use....
  5. Defender Security Scans

Defender Security Scans: About 10 days ago the scans in my defender quit working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-security-scans/070f14f0-8765-481a-a03c-ff7e3228b9c2
  6. windows defender security scan

windows defender security scan: I CLICK QUICK SCAN FOR VIRUSES AND IT JUST SITS AT 00:00:00, AND THE SAME FOR A FULL SCAN. CAN SOMEBODY HELP PLS???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-security-scan/77f9a0f3-07de-48ef-a12d-52ef1acf2b2a
  7. 1909 - Windows Defender freezes mid scan.. constant "quick scan due"

1909 - Windows Defender freezes mid scan.. constant "quick scan due": Howdy! I installed Windows 10 Pro completely fresh (new cpu, new motherboard, new drive) in December and since then the little windows defender icon in the tray has had the yellow ! triangle telling me a quick scan is due. But whenever I perform a quick scan (or a full scan,...
  8. Windows Defender Security Scan

Windows Defender Security Scan: I am not able to run a full security scan using defender. After just a few seconds the scan ends. Help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-security-scan/1938597c-690b-4f2e-a910-24041702f4bb"
  9. Windows 10 Security Center Windows Defender Scans

Windows 10 Security Center Windows Defender Scans: Have regularly scanned my PC after surfing and searches. The number of files scanned has been in the 45K to 47K recently the scanned files are dropping dramatically i.e. 9811 9810 9836 and 9659 My concern is why are there fewer and fewer files being scanned? Is it a symptom...
  10. windows defender is not scanning

windows defender is not scanning: that shows a notification that group or resource is not in state https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-is-not-scanning/e77931e3-9d2d-402b-9172-11787928475d

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows security quick scan stuck