Windows 10: Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started

Discus and support Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Split from this thread. windows defender problem show that the service couldn't be started please help this problem... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by polashbormon, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started

Split from this thread.​

windows defender problem show that the service couldn't be started please help this problem

:)

polashbormon, Jul 17, 2020

2. Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

Hi guys!

I finally managed to fix my Windows Defender. I had to restore the service using registry key. And also make changes in the registry using steps mentioned on articles online.

I restored the WD default registry key through the steps provided here this restored my service of Windows defender.

Services - Restore Default Services in Windows 8

It seems that the registry key for WD of Windows 8.1 is same as that of Windows 10.

I also followed the steps mentioned here:
    [FIX] Windows Could Not Start The Windows Defender Network Inspection Service On Local Computer

And

Here:

Windows Defender Does Not Start in Windows 10 - WindowsInstructed

So far it's working fine. Will report back if I see anything weird pop up as I did fiddle with the registry keys.

Thanks for the help davidhk Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started :)

thenextstar, Jul 17, 2020
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Jul 17, 2020
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started

1. Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started - Similar Threads - Defender Service Started

2. Windows could not start Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not start Windows Defender: Hi,I have troubles with starting Windows Defender / Security Service AND Windows Firewall.I tried everything that I found online,1. The BFE is running, but I can't stop it.2. The Windows Defender / Security Service is not running, they start automatically, however the button...
  3. Windows could not start Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not start Windows Defender: Hi,I have troubles with starting Windows Defender / Security Service AND Windows Firewall.I tried everything that I found online,1. The BFE is running, but I can't stop it.2. The Windows Defender / Security Service is not running, they start automatically, however the button...
  4. Windows could not start Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. The Windows Audio service could not be started.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Windows Audio service could not be started.: My Laptop Just restarted and after the restart i found the Icon of Audio with that red X flag.when i click it tell me "The Audio Service is not running" when i try to restart it as Admin from Services or using CMD as administrator it does not work.i tried both solutions...
  6. The Windows Audio service could not be started.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Windows Audio service could not be started.: My Laptop Just restarted and after the restart i found the Icon of Audio with that red X flag.when i click it tell me "The Audio Service is not running" when i try to restart it as Admin from Services or using CMD as administrator it does not work.i tried both solutions...
  7. The Windows Audio service could not be started.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. DHCP services could not start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DHCP services could not start: I’m having internet problems. I have an ethernet cable connected to my computer, however the internet icon has dissapered from my taskbar and I dont have internet at all. I think this has to do with the DHCP services. When I try to run the DHCP services I get an error....
  9. Error: Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall service on Local Computer....

Error: Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall service on Local Computer....: When trying to start using Services panel get "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." The Event Viewer has an entry in the System list that says "The Windows Defender...
  10. Windows could not start the Windows Defender

Windows could not start the Windows Defender: When I try start service Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service I have error: Windows could not start the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service service on Local Computer. Error 13: The data is invalid....