Windows 10: Windows Defender Service service failed to start

Discus and support Windows Defender Service service failed to start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have a server 2016 on which I am unable to start the Windefend service. I'm getting an error upon starting the service in the System log:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Matthew Stevenson, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Windows Defender Service service failed to start

Hello,

I have a server 2016 on which I am unable to start the Windefend service. I'm getting an error upon starting the service in the System log:

"The Windows Defender Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."

I have verified the digital signature with the following: Get-AuthenticodeSignature -FilePath "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" The status is Valid.

Version info:

VersionInfo : File: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    InternalName: MsMpEng.exe
    OriginalFilename: MsMpEng.exe
    FileVersion: 4.10.14393.2608 (rs1_release.181024-1742)
    FileDescription: Antimalware Service Executable
    Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    ProductVersion: 4.10.14393.2608
    Debug: False
    Patched: False
    PreRelease: False
    PrivateBuild: False
    SpecialBuild: False
    Language: English (United States)

The server is onboarded to ATP, and is visible and reporting to the Windows Defender Security Center in Azure.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Matthew

:)

Matthew Stevenson, Jan 24, 2019
  2. trodas Win User

Installer service fail to start

...any idas how to fix that problem?

Windows 2000 SP 4 here. After some tweakings and problems (including removal od some spyware and stuff) my Installer service can't be started. Hence, for example, installing anything is not possible. And, for example, FF can't use the M$ java, so...

Anyone know, what to do, beside reinstall, to make it working again?

The C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe /V file is here. The service is not disabled, it is on manual. However when in services I choose to start it, then in fail to and report that "service did not return any error", so it might be a Windows itself fault *Bang Head :banghead:

Damn. Anyone having some ideas, what to test?

trodas, Jan 24, 2019
  3. Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Windows Defender Service service failed to start :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, Jan 24, 2019
  4. Edito Win User

Windows Defender Service service failed to start

Dependencey Service Failed To start

Hi ppl hope everthigs good there cause im not at all, i turned on my computer yesterday and got network errors like this: in the network icon only appear statys:unknown and below that appear the dependency service or group failed to start and i don't have any network service working in my computer and i tried to start them manually and nothing lots off errors tried to start Diagnostic Policy, dhcp and other network services and nothing any help will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Edito, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender Service service failed to start

1. Windows Defender Service service failed to start - Similar Threads - Defender Service service

2. The WinRing0_1_2_0 service failed to start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The WinRing0_1_2_0 service failed to start: i keep getting PC to crash on the new windows 10 installationi also am getting the error from event viewer:"The WinRing0_1_2_0 service failed to start due to the following error: WinRing0_1_2_0 is not a valid Win32 application."i ran FRST64 and got the FIRST.exe and the...
  3. Windows Defender Service unable to start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Service unable to start: Enabled the Group Policy on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows DefenderTurn off Windows Defender = EnabledChange the registry value of windefend Start value for service to 0x4 hex 4, decimal 4....
  4. Unable to start Windows Defender Service

Unable to start Windows Defender Service: Hello guys. Recently I have been getting Windows Defender errors that say the service couldn't be started.[ATTACH]And this error is very annoying since this is my only Anti-Virus on my laptop and I don't feel like getting another Anti-Virus. Please help me...
  5. Windows Defender Network Inspection Service fails to start

Windows Defender Network Inspection Service fails to start: Repeating Event ids 7000 and 7001 in Windows 10 version 2004 - Windows Defender Network Service fails to start, as "existing buffer is not applicable for this operation" or something like that. The service is set to Manual, an attempt to launch it manually results in error...
  6. Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started

Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started: Split from this thread. windows defender problem show that the service couldn't be started please help this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-could-not-be-started/be1665ae-e9b4-4641-bc7f-94ca3200a6dd
  7. Windows Defender Service Couldn't be Started

Windows Defender Service Couldn't be Started: this is the problem when I click "start now" on windows defender what to do please help[ATTACH] [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-couldnt-be-started/86fb1270-ced0-4795-b295-622e5a718c50
  8. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  9. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  10. Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start: The last few days, Defender has been trying and failing to update its definitions. A manual update from Defender fails. Now Defender isn't working. Pressing Defender's Start button gives the message that the underlying service isn't running. The service is set to automatic,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WinHttpAutoProxySvc defender antivirus

2. windows defender fails to start unable to find files

3. the windows defender antivirus service failed to start cannot verify digital signature for this file

4. Failed to start the service WinDefend hr=80004005,
  5. the windows defender antivirus service failed to start,
  6. C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe wont start,
  7. The Malwarebytes Service service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged or that m,
  8. The windows defender antivirus service service failed to start,
  9. The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.,
  10. start windows defender service from services menu,
  11. windefend service failed to start,
  12. Windows Defender Antivirus Service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file,
  13. service failed to start,
  14. windows defender service,
  15. FDefender service