Windows 10: Windows Defender Service wont turn on

Discus and support Windows Defender Service wont turn on in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently updated my laptop to the new windows 10 update (10th May). The update was good as usual but which going through the services i noticed that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AnishAnilkumar, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Windows Defender Service wont turn on

I recently updated my laptop to the new windows 10 update (10th May). The update was good as usual but which going through the services i noticed that the windows defender service is disabled and I can find no way to turn this on. Kindly help me with this issue.

Tried turning the services from the Task Manager and command prompt method of switching on services. Both wouldn't switch it on. Could someone tell me which services is preventing it from turning on.

One the windows scan area, the message displayed is 'Your threat and virus protection is managed by your organisation'.

When i try to manually turn on the service the message displayed is ' The windows defender antivirus service, service on local computer started and stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.'

Can someone help me out, if they solved this issue!

:)

AnishAnilkumar, Aug 28, 2019
  2. Borg 386 Win User

windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Aug 28, 2019
  3. WINDOWS DEFENDER is turned off

Hi Ahmed,

Since you're not able to turn on Windows Defender as well, we'd like to know if you have made any changes recently prior to this issue. In the meantime, you may follow the steps below on how to turn on Windows Defender manually:

• Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Go to Settings and make sure that the Turn on real-time protection recommended option is turned on.
    Same thing with the other members who are having the same issue, we suggest that you check if the service was setup to
    Automatic in the Services option. Please follow the steps that we've provided last
    September 3, 2017.

Let us know how if you were able to turn it on properly by changing the Startup type to Automatic.

Eileen Gal, Aug 28, 2019
  4. Windows Defender Service wont turn on

Windows Defender won't turn on/stay turned on

This step (from the link suggested by ThofikhAhamad) worked for me to solve the issue.

6. Restart Security Center Service

As reported in this and this thread,
    restarting Security Center service can help in solving the problem. To restart Security Center service, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for 'Run'.
    • In Run dialog box, type 'services.msc' and hit enter.
    • In Services, search for 'Security Center'.
    • Right click on 'Security Center' and click on 'Restart'.

elocinknell, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender Service wont turn on

1. Windows Defender Service wont turn on - Similar Threads - Defender Service wont

2. Service "Windows Defender Firewall" wont start HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Service "Windows Defender Firewall" wont start HELP!!!: When i try to start the service "Windows Defender Firewall" it says "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall on Local Computer, For more information on, review the System Event Log. if this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to...
  3. Windows firewall service wont turn on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows firewall service wont turn on: So before I knew that stopping the firewall service is an "unsupported configuration" which btw shouldn't be I found a way to stop it. But as of the last windows update, it is impossible to change anything about the firewall service - all the buttons are grayed out. Now I am...
  4. Microsoft/Windows Defender Antivirus Service stuck on disabled and wont restart

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft/Windows Defender Antivirus Service stuck on disabled and wont restart: I've tried re-enabling Windows Defender, however i cannot manage to enable it or restart the service. I've pretty much done all troubleshooting with little to no luck. The versions of Windows Defender are showing as 0.0.0.0 and the Antivirus service is disabled and greyed...
  5. window defender wont turn on

window defender wont turn on: window defender wont turn on I had bit defender on the PC but deleted it and Windows Defender still wont turn on when you ask it to. I have an HP Envy dv6 with windows 10 that is also having problems getting updates to take. 1903. my last successful was 1703. Maybe to two...
  6. windows defender wont ON

windows defender wont ON: halo, please help me. my defender wont ON[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-wont-on/f8746978-7e33-44dc-950b-4ad9dc6ef57b
  7. Windows Defender wont turn on

Windows Defender wont turn on: I cant start windows defender. At local services, under Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service, give me a message: "The Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service service on local computer started and then stopped....." What to do...?...
  8. Real Time Protection in Windows Defender wont turn on

Real Time Protection in Windows Defender wont turn on: HELLO ! I have a problem with my Windows Defender, many times ago i downloaded a file, i dont know that contain virus. Then i finished for downloading. After 1 minutes, my Windows Defender was attackes by that virus, the Real TIme Protection wont turn on back. THe display...
  9. my windows defender wont turn on

my windows defender wont turn on: help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-windows-defender-wont-turn-on/96db1a84-06d3-49d4-96d8-f80b2160842a
  10. Security wont allow windows defender to turn on

Security wont allow windows defender to turn on: I have a brand new computer just a week old and since my latest insider update (14971) I cannot turn on or update "Windows Defender". I get this error when I attempt to turn on Defender in Settings: THIS APP IS TURNED OFF BY GROUP POLICY to allow this app to run, contact...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender antivirus offline scan will not run

2. win10 reset defender