Windows 10: Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings

Discus and support Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I changed something in the Protection against blackmail programs and now the system brings up a notification while scanning Windows Defender skipped an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bmaltzman, Apr 10, 2020.

1. bmaltzman Win User

Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings

I changed something in the Protection against blackmail programs and now the system brings up a notification while scanning Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings

I don’t know what I have changed. How to sort it out?

:)

bmaltzman, Apr 10, 2020

2. Items skipped during scan

I have recently been receiving the following message when I run the defender quick/full scans.

"Items skipped during scan.

The windows defender antivirus scan skipped an item due to exclusion or network scanning settings."

I can't think of any recent changes I have made to my computer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

davidrevesz, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications
    that no longer launch properly.

An acceptable solution is to add exclusions for the offending applications.

I have been trying to add an exclusion for these application but without any luck. The only way to get the applications to work is to disable the feature through gpedit. Here the option:

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Network Protection\Prevent users and apps from accessing dangerous websites"

These are standalone Win10Pro machines running version 1803. I've tried the following:

1) Using gpedit, adding the application exe and path to

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Exclusions\Path Exclusions"

2) Using Defender Security Center - App&browser Control - Exploit protection settings - Program Settings

Adding each application and then disabling ALL system options.

I'm kinda stuck at the moment and I'm hoping I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Dave

DavidLawrence9, Apr 10, 2020
  4. daveml Win User

Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly.

An acceptable solution is to add exclusions for the offending applications.

I have been trying to add an exclusion for these application but without any luck. The only way to get the applications to work is to disable the feature through gpedit. Here the option:

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Windows Defender Exploit Guard\Network Protection\Prevent users and apps from accessing dangerous websites"

These are standalone Win10Pro machines running version 1803. I've tried the following:

1) Using gpedit, adding the application exe and path to
    "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus\Exclusions\Path Exclusions"

2) Using Defender Security Center - App&browser Control - Exploit protection settings - Program Settings
    Adding each application and then disabling ALL system options.

I'm kinda stuck at the moment and I'm hoping I'm missing something.

Thanks,
    Dave

daveml, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings - Similar Threads - Defender skipped item

2. Windows Defender skipping items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender skipping items: Hello again, I did a scan today and it found 0 threats, but it said "Windows Defender skipped items due to exclusions or network scanning settings" this has never happened before, what does this mean? Oh and could it be because I restored the false positive trojan that I had...
  3. Windows Defender skipping items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender skipping items: Hello again, I did a scan today and it found 0 threats, but it said "Windows Defender skipped items due to exclusions or network scanning settings" this has never happened before, what does this mean? Oh and could it be because I restored the false positive trojan that I had...
  4. Defender tells me items have been skipped due to exclusion or network settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender tells me items have been skipped due to exclusion or network settings: Hi, For the last few weeks Defender has been telling me that items have been skipped during a scan because of exclusions or network access. I've checked and can find no exclusions but am not sure what network access may be involved. I've seen items suggesting that this...
  5. Windows Defender, "Items Skipped During Scan"

Windows Defender, "Items Skipped During Scan": I keep getting this notification after quick scans, "Windows Defender skipped an item due to exclusions or network protection settings." To make this clear: I don't have ANY exclusions, and as far as I'm aware, I haven't changed my network protection settings in the past....
  6. Windows Defender Skipping Files Yet No Exclusions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender Skipping Files Yet No Exclusions: Hello, After doing a routine Windows Defender scan it tells me that it excluded an object. However, when I press on the supposed list of exclusions it is completely empty. Indeed, I have never myself excluded something. This happen both during Quick and Full scans. I have...
  7. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  8. Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection

Need exclusion for Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection: I have a configuration where the Defender Exploit Guard Network Protection needs to be enabled. Recently an MS update must have changed what triggers this protection and I now have 2 custom applications that no longer launch properly. An acceptable solution is to add...
  9. Set up exclusions for Windows Defender

Set up exclusions for Windows Defender: I don’t want Windows Defender to scan some files in the folders. Please help me to set up the exclusions. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-exclusions-for-windows-defender/afe82e90-0e47-42c0-a7c5-ad0a4e025a67"
  10. Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender

Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender: Hello everyone, I am a long-time lurker here but this is my first post here. I have an HP desktop and a Toshiba laptop, both updated to Windows 10 and would like to just use Defender as my primary AV. Both computers have Defender enabled, MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium,...