Windows 10: Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share

Discus and support Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I tried to add the SMB target (drive m:) to the exclusions, but it does not help. Copying 2000 small files is only possible with 3-8MB/s: [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarcGutt, Nov 1, 2019.

1. MarcGutt Win User

Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share

I tried to add the SMB target (drive mWindows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share :) to the exclusions, but it does not help. Copying 2000 small files is only possible with 3-8MB/s:

Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share 47ca799a-6418-4ab5-87cc-b7dfea2eeaeb?upload=true.jpg

If I disable the real-time-scan its more than 40MB/s:

Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share f095f10e-bc49-4153-82cb-2efb74df6f47?upload=true.jpg

Why does the exclusion not work and why does Defender scan files that are copied to an external target?!

:)

MarcGutt, Nov 1, 2019

2. File share copy speed slow

Hi.

I have a Windows Server hosting some shares.

The server has an 10GBPS network card and hosts connected through a 1GBPS ports.

When copying files down from server the copy speeds dont pass 10 mbytes per second.

When copying files up to server the copy speeds passes 100 mbytes per second.

I have used iperf to test network speeds and it easily shows that the network speeds are indeed 1gbps.

I also tried non-smb reliant file transfer tools and they all was able to reach 1 gbps speeds with no problem.

All other file copy tools using SMB was capped at same speed.

So the problem is quite strange and i am not sure where i should look next to resolve this Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share :(

Any ideas anyone?

NullRefrenceException, Nov 1, 2019
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Nov 1, 2019
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Nov 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender slow copy performance with small files to SMB share - Similar Threads - Defender slow copy

2. Win11 2H22 SMB Multichannel copy speed slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 2H22 SMB Multichannel copy speed slow: According to the release note, Windows 11 22H2 has a known issue which will cause the SMB multichannel copying speed limited under 1Gbps:September 30, 2022—KB5017389 OS Build 22621.608 Preview - Microsoft SupportBut the release note only mentioned as "You are more likely to...
  3. Win11 2H22 SMB Multichannel copy speed slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 2H22 SMB Multichannel copy speed slow: According to the release note, Windows 11 22H2 has a known issue which will cause the SMB multichannel copying speed limited under 1Gbps:September 30, 2022—KB5017389 OS Build 22621.608 Preview - Microsoft SupportBut the release note only mentioned as "You are more likely to...
  4. Copying file to Apple SMB share drive from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying file to Apple SMB share drive from Windows 11: I have a new Windows 11 computer in an office with a mac SMB shared folder. When I copy a file to the SMB file share it only comes across with the local account and no one can access the file. The file picks up the "everyone" account and it is marked no access.I must reset...
  5. Copying file to Apple SMB share drive from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying file to Apple SMB share drive from Windows 11: I have a new Windows 11 computer in an office with a mac SMB shared folder. When I copy a file to the SMB file share it only comes across with the local account and no one can access the file. The file picks up the "everyone" account and it is marked no access.I must reset...
  6. Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Real-Time Protection is making my SMB Share slow: Hi, I use some file shares with many pictures. When I try to open those folder is takes forever to load previews of these pictures. When I disable Real-Time protection everything goes well. I did not find a way to exclude this picture location from Real-Time Protection....
  7. SMB 3.1.1 connection slow for file shares on Server 2019

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB 3.1.1 connection slow for file shares on Server 2019: Hi, I have a problem with shares on file server windows 2019. When i open a shared file and make changes, the process of saving takes too long even some times "Not Responding". I manage to find out that the problem is when i make SMB connection to the file server with...
  8. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  9. File share copy speed slow

File share copy speed slow: Hi. I have a Windows Server hosting some shares. The server has an 10GBPS network card and hosts connected through a 1GBPS ports. When copying files down from server the copy speeds dont pass 10 mbytes per second. When copying files up to server the copy speeds passes 100...
  10. Entering a SMB share

Entering a SMB share: Hi everyone, in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android. From that app i'm requested for user e psw. SMB protocol are active: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. windows defender slow file copy

3. small files slow copy t480

4. windows defender slow smb,
  5. windows defender file copy so slow