Windows 10: Windows Defender slowing everything

Discus and support Windows Defender slowing everything in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We have had 4-5 users over the last 2 business days reporting extreme system slowness all of a sudden. This appears to be cause by the ‘antimalware... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WilliamDunn_328, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Windows Defender slowing everything

We have had 4-5 users over the last 2 business days reporting extreme system slowness all of a sudden. This appears to be cause by the ‘antimalware service executeable’ in task manager, using high CPU and Disk write capacity (up to 150MB/s). This makes our affected laptops and desktops almost entirely unusable.

We’ve tried:

• Updating defender
    • Disabling defender (in regedit)
    • Killing the process (unable to kill it)
    • Excluding defender install directories from defender scans
    • Running full system scans
    • Running in safe mode (stops it happening, but only in safe mode)

Considerations:

• Event viewer shows issues with some of our GPO’s pushing to systems, but the issue persists with systems that are off the domain.
    • No clear indication of what defender is actually trying to do on the system.
    • Windows is up to date on 1709, we’re not rolling out 1806 to all users as standard currently.
    • Not everyone is having this issue, it only seems to affect random users.
    • More and more users are starting to report it.

:)

WilliamDunn_328, Jul 4, 2018

2. windows defender runs slow

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Have you installed any third party security application in your system, apart from Windows 10?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    I would like to inform you that this issue might occur, if the Windows defender is scanning too many junk or malware effected files in the system. As of now,
    I suggest you to run System maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.
    For more information, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-defender-offline-faq

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 4, 2018
  3. window defender

• You will want to print these instructions for offline reference -
    IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP perform all Steps in one uninterrupted session - If a Step says to reboot
    reboot.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Pləase let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains.

• `~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jul 4, 2018
  4. Windows Defender slowing everything

Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender slowing everything

1. Windows Defender slowing everything - Similar Threads - Defender slowing everything

2. Everything extremely slow suddenly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything extremely slow suddenly: My laptop was running fine up until about 2 days ago. Now it is extremely slow with everything including task manager and settings. Restarting doesn't help at all and I haven't installed anything recently. I've had malwarebytes do a full scan and it found nothing. The task...
  3. Windows Defender finds everything is a virus :

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender finds everything is a virus :: After the update to Windows 10, 2004 version, Windows Defender finds everything is a virus. Even some empty folders haha,Amd program and much more important programs.. so i must delete Windows Defender now, makes me loosing my time!...
  4. Windows defender shutting everything down

Windows defender shutting everything down: All of a sudden my computer is shutting everything down in the middle of me working and window defender says i have a virus but will not download what am i supposed to do...
  5. Everything is So Slow!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything is So Slow!!!: I purchased a Windows 10 HP laptop back in March. I moved out of my parents place in the middle of April and did not go back to get the rest of my things until today. I'm so happy I finally got my laptop back, but when I went to turn it on everything was so slow. I'm assuming...
  6. Windows defender blocking everything

Windows defender blocking everything: I'm just trying to install games with gog galaxy and windows ransomware protection keeps blocking everything! I know i have to add exclusions or just disable the protection, but why should i have to do this!? Why is windows defender blocking everything!? I have malwarebytes...
  7. Defender blocking everything

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defender blocking everything: Hi I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem that I have started having with defender, It blocks everything I try to do, I cannot save any pictures or add music files to now playing lists without it throwing up a message and blocking everything...….I have attached a...
  8. windows defender slow downs

windows defender slow downs: Just my two cents worth but I know for a fact defender does slow down downloads. I have spectrum 400 mbps and with defender running it will download anywhere from 80mbps to perhaps 200. Turning off defender I download at the speed of 375mbps upward to 425mbps, quite the...
  9. Windows update makes everything slow.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update makes everything slow.: After finally agreeing to your 200th time new version reminder, I decided to update windows. I hated it, my laptop was running extremely slow. I went back to previous version which made my ASUS go to black screen unable to get out of a cycle of blackscreen and loading balls....
  10. Windows Defender Blockes Everything (SOLVED)

Windows Defender Blockes Everything (SOLVED): On February I posted this question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-blockes-everything/4cc6b9ba-86e4-438f-b9bf-475b7705715b Unfortunately I found no valid answer. I managed thow to figure out...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender slowing everything down

2. windows defender slowing down server