Windows 10: Windows Defender SmartScreen cpu usage

Discus and support Windows Defender SmartScreen cpu usage in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My computer has been running slow and I noticed that Windows Defender SmartScreen is using 45-55% of my cpu capacity. I have Windows 10 and Norton... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RonaldR67, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RonaldR67 Win User

Windows Defender SmartScreen cpu usage

My computer has been running slow and I noticed that Windows Defender SmartScreen is using 45-55% of my cpu capacity. I have Windows 10 and Norton anti-virus on the computer. I looked in the forums and it sounds like this should be off when running another anti-virus program. Should happen automatically according to one thread, but it is definitely running. Went into Security & Maintenance where it shows to turn it off manually, but the “Change Windows SmartScreen settings” option is not on the left side to click. Using “End task” in Task Manager but it keeps coming back. Do I need this when I have Norton installed? If not, where can I turn it off?

:)

RonaldR67, Apr 24, 2019

2. How to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum?

Hi.

My PC runs slow.

When I click on Task Manager, I always see a High CPU usage from Windows Defender and Google Chrome.

Any suggestion to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum?

Thanks

Francesco

francesckosky, Apr 24, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Turn off automatic driver update and SmartScreen causing high disk and memory usage

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand it can be quite frustrating when the computer does not work the way you want it to. I certainly appreciate the steps that you have tried. We can perform a couple of steps and see if we can resolve the issue.​

You can turn off the automatic installation of drivers from the Device installation settings and check if that helps. To turn off automatic installation please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Change Device installation settings
      in the search bar and open it.
    2. Click on No.
    3. Click on Save Changes.

Regarding SmartScreen causing high Disk and Memory usage, you can turn off the SmartScreen from Windows Security and check if that helps. To turn off SmartScreen, please follow the steps mentioned below:

Note: SmartScreen automatically scans applications, files, downloads, and websites, blocking known dangerous content. We recommend leaving SmartScreen enabled, as it provides an additional layer of security that helps to protect the PC.

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Update & Security.
    3. Click on Windows Security.
    4. Click on Windows Defender Security Center.
    5. Click on App & browser control.
    6. Select off under Check apps and files, SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge
      and SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 24, 2019
  4. Windows Defender SmartScreen cpu usage

Windows Defender SmartScreen won't let me download ANYTHING.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Which browser you are using to download the application?
    2. What is the complete error message appears on your computer screen when you click on download?

We can try and perform few steps and see if it helps.

Step 1: You can refer the Microsoft article related

Windows Defender SmartScreen
    under the section
    how can I download files reported as unsafe by Windows Defender SmartScreen in Internet Explorer 10 or Microsoft Edge.

Step 2: Try to disable SmartScreen.

1. Press Windows + S on your keyboard.
    2. Click on Internet Options.
    3. When the Internet Properties window opens, go to the
      Security tab and click Custom level.
    4. Locate the Miscellaneous section. Now, locate Use
      SmartScreen Filter option
      and set it to disable. Click OK to save changes.
    5. You can disable SmartScreen by going to the
      advanced tab and unchecking the Enable SmartScreen Filter option. After doing that, click
      Apply and OK to save changes.
    6. Restart your computer to effect the settings.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes or No’.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender SmartScreen cpu usage

1. Windows Defender SmartScreen cpu usage - Similar Threads - Defender SmartScreen cpu

2. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender CPU Usage: Is there a way to forcefully reduce Defender's CPU usage? Now it is managing to slow down even one of my best computers, an Asus sporting a Ryzen 7 4800H. On an old laptop with a Haswell i5 also running Win10, I've always kept Defender disabled as it just makes the system run...
  3. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender CPU Usage: Is there a way to forcefully reduce Defender's CPU usage? Now it is managing to slow down even one of my best computers, an Asus sporting a Ryzen 7 4800H. On an old laptop with a Haswell i5 also running Win10, I've always kept Defender disabled as it just makes the system run...
  4. Windows Defender CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. windows defender cpu usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender cpu usage: So the antimalware service executable task drains a lot of CPU performance. Method 2 on this page seems to address the issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-cpu-usage-because-of-antimalware-service/b20c6fef-0ce1-4ad1-8874-f76c8a89523aMy problem is...
  6. Windows Defender Smartscreen Using Lots of CPU

Windows Defender Smartscreen Using Lots of CPU: Anytime I open Task Manager, the leading item is always Windows Defender Smartscreen using between 30 and 40 % CPU. Is that typical, or do I have some sort of conflict going on? If the latter, how to resolve it? Thanks....
  7. Windows Defender Smartscreen CPU Utilization & BSOD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Defender Smartscreen CPU Utilization & BSOD: A few months ago I began to notice that Windows Defender Smartscreen process would always run whenever I restart, launch a browser, or launch an app that connects to the internet (despite Smartscreen being disabled via Windows Security settings). The process runs for about...
  8. Windows Defender SmartScreen - permanent higher cpu usage

Windows Defender SmartScreen - permanent higher cpu usage: Hello, after testing and investigate during more weeks is found that the Windows Defender SmartScreen is permanently use higher cpu resources actually permanent 10-18 percent. From Windows Defender - status and device power - not found the problems. Recent installed -...
  9. Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU: This is not normal. The Windows Defender SmartScreen is using right 27% of the CPU capacity. How can i solve this? submitted by /u/versattes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/en9h1w/windows_defender_smartscreen_using_a_lot_of_cpu/
  10. Windows Defender CPU usage

Windows Defender CPU usage: Hello there, We're encounter a strange problem with our Windows Defender and SCEP in our company. Everything run fine till 1-2 weeks ago. We manage our Windows Defender or SCEP through SCCM. There we have policies that limit CPU usage at 30%. Excluded is also the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender smartscreen

2. windows defender smartscreen high cpu usage

3. windows defender smartscreen high cpu

4. windows defender smartscreen cpu usage,
  5. windows smart defender,
  6. windows defender smartscreen using cpu,
  7. window defender smartscreen,
  8. do i need windows defender smartscreen,
  9. windows defender smartscreen off,
  10. windows defender smartscreen cpu,
  11. windows defender smartscreen 100% cpu,