Windows 10: Windows Defender speed issues. Just crazy

Discus and support Windows Defender speed issues. Just crazy in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am sure there are many threads existing concerning this topic. As this thread:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PeterSen1, Jan 10, 2021.

1. PeterSen1 Win User

Windows Defender speed issues. Just crazy

I am sure there are many threads existing concerning this topic. As this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-defender-real-time-protection-service/fda3f73e-cc0a-4946-9b9d-3c05057ef90c

is closed, I wanted to open a new thread. It`s not a question it`s more a kind of tip for others, because Windows Defender made my new laptop extremely slow.

In fact, my Pentium P6200 processor was faster than my new 8 core 1000$ laptop. Specifically, in Visual Studio 2005, the old laptop was three times faster. Before that, I installed Visual Studio 2019 in my new laptop, but instantly removed it, as I figured out I had to wait seconds for basic click operations. New Project -> wait 5 seconds. New file, again wait 3 seconds. Compiling, endless joy. I didn`t notice the speed penalty of Windows Defender instantly, it took some time.

Luckelywise I tried first to deactivate Windows Defender which brought me success. Now its the reverse, its many times faster than my Pentium laptop.

So, this is the quote I want to point out from the linked thread from the user darylknight:

"I'm surprised there aren't more comments on this. I just moved from OSX to start front end development on my desktop Windows 10 machine and this Antimalware Service Executable is crippling everything; especially when staging new repositories or unzipping stuff. I just unzipped a small archive; it took 3 seconds with real time protection off, and 20 with it on."

We are talking about an abnormal speed impact. Windows Defender activates itself, ignores the registry entry if an alternative Anti Virus is not installed. So Windows 10 has to be configured properly to run again at old Windows 7 performance, but reading this:

https://www.techspot.com/news/88158-microsoft-working-weeping-visual-rejuvenation-windows-10.html

I think Windows is self destructing itself.

:)

PeterSen1, Jan 10, 2021

2. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    win 10 defender issues

Hi,

Windows Defender helps in making your computer secure from any viruses or malware. Listed below are some reasons why the program will not work properly:

• Software conflicts (usually cause with other anti-virus application)
    • Virus and malware infection
    • Corrupted system files

To help you with the issue, we suggest following the steps provided by
    PrashantKumar96
    on this thread
    that can help in running your Windows Defender successfully.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Defender speed issues. Just crazy - Similar Threads - Defender speed issues

2. Windows defender going crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender going crazy: So windows defender is using 90 percent of CPU power during a full scan which it predicts the last 8 hours. **** is this. I can't even change defender's cpu affinity or priority. Is this normal?...
  3. windows 10 defender gone crazy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 defender gone crazy: I've been scanning my USB using windows defender.the scan was personalised, and suddenly windows defender started two personalised analysis by its own causing that scary sound due to high CPU usage, what the heck is going on? can someone tell me plz, I am using with Windows...
  4. Windows defender IDLE resources cosumption is crazy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender IDLE resources cosumption is crazy: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/brixium [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ht2dax/windows_defender_idle_resources_cosumption_is/
  5. Internet speed issues just in this Pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet speed issues just in this Pc: I am conected via ethernet cable and in testmy.net the download speed is a lot slower than in other pages, but just in this Pc, using testmy.net in another Pc in the same router the download speed is correct. Then I tried using my phone internet via usb in both Pcs and the...
  6. Family Time Limits just went crazy

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Time Limits just went crazy: I have never turned time limits on for my kids. As they are young, we limit the time they can access the devices, and this works for us. However, yesterday, as my kids are in the middle of doing their school work from home amidst Quarantine, Both kids received notification...
  7. Speed issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speed issue: I recently updated my Surface Laptop to the latest version of Windows 10 Pro OS 1903 and since that time my computer has stopped working as usual. Both Edge and Outlook take an inordinate amount of time to populate the screens. I'm told this has been reported, but not for the...
  8. Crazy Registry Keys just won't Delete

Crazy Registry Keys just won't Delete: So, I was doing some system clean up when i was attempting to run an old legacy game that has SecuRom on the disc. This is NOT the problem just describing how i got here. I was looking for the Registry Key for the game and i noticed a whole ****-ton of keys directly under...
  9. Windows defender updates have gone crazy

Windows defender updates have gone crazy: I try to update windows defender and it keeps downloading the same update and installing it and never actually completes. I downloads straight from 0 to 100 and then installs in the same manner. But never actually ends up installing for the last time. The update it installs...
  10. Fans are speeding up like crazy help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fans are speeding up like crazy help: Just bought a Windows PC, its my first one since 2006 (I have only used macs since then) I have no idea what to do , or why the fans are so high, even when I dont do anything on the computer? What can I do? I Tried to go look in the BIOS settings , and I tried to change...