Windows 10: Windows Defender still active after disabling

Discus and support Windows Defender still active after disabling in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have to go through this everytime I have to refresh Windows 10. Windows Defender is the absolute worst piece of malware I've ever encountered. Every... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GwenBrenner, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Windows Defender still active after disabling

I have to go through this everytime I have to refresh Windows 10. Windows Defender is the absolute worst piece of malware I've ever encountered. Every attempt I make to disable it, it keeps coming back like a bad case of acne. I do not want, nor do I need, any type of antivirus. All they do is delete files that I need without asking and don't let me bring them back after deletion. There is a file that I keep having to redownload everytime I have to reinstall windows 10 (which happens every 6 months or so). And every time, windows defender seems to get harder and harder to get past. Is there a way to nuke this program so that, even if I can't remove it completely, it at least stops functioning?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy

:)

GwenBrenner, Sep 27, 2018

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 27, 2018
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Windows Defender still active after disabling

Cannot activate Windows Defender

On my laptop "Toshiba Satellite L455" I did upgradation to W-10 from W-7 (original).

There is no antivirus program on this PC.

I wanted Windows Defender to run. But it says that it is switched off.

Want to activate it.

On opening Windows defender, there is no option to activate it.

In step 2 of your suggestion, it says:

"Windows could not start the Windows Defender Network Inspection Service on local computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

Can you pl give a method to activate the defender?

PrakashVarkhedkar, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender still active after disabling

1. Windows Defender still active after disabling - Similar Threads - Defender still active

2. Windows Defender disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender disabled?: Hello, so I upgraded my pc some months ago, so I formatted it also. After a few weeks of playing all seems normal except then I realized that Windows Defender is completely disabled, like literally. There are no options, it doesnt do any routine scans or anything. How can I...
  3. Windows Defender disabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender disabled?: Hello, so I upgraded my pc some months ago, so I formatted it also. After a few weeks of playing all seems normal except then I realized that Windows Defender is completely disabled, like literally. There are no options, it doesnt do any routine scans or anything. How can I...
  4. I Installed crowdstrike EDR and Windows Defender still running after been disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Installed crowdstrike EDR and Windows Defender still running after been disabled: Hello team,I installed Crowdstrike EDR and disabled Windows Defender; MSSecurity Essentials for WS 2008, 2012 and Windows Security for 2019/2022 isstill running and does not indicate that the EDR is the main AV provider.How I can completely disable Defender?Is there any...
  5. I Installed crowdstrike EDR and Windows Defender still running after been disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Installed crowdstrike EDR and Windows Defender still running after been disabled: Hello team,I installed Crowdstrike EDR and disabled Windows Defender; MSSecurity Essentials for WS 2008, 2012 and Windows Security for 2019/2022 isstill running and does not indicate that the EDR is the main AV provider.How I can completely disable Defender?Is there any...
  6. Is there still a way to disable Defender after the October 2020 update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there still a way to disable Defender after the October 2020 update?: Regedit or that group... thing is not working anymore. submitted by /u/AndrewIsBest69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lv2xfl/is_there_still_a_way_to_disable_defender_after/
  7. Disabling Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Windows Defender: I just need one question answered. What happens to the quarantined files when you disable windows defender either on server or professional editions? Are they automatically deleted? restored? stuck in quarantine forever?...
  8. Windows Defender is disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender is disabled: Hello, I'm having a problem with my Windows Defender because after McAfee expired, Defender won't activate. It seems like it is disabled because the dashboard doesn't show any options i.e. Real Time Protection, etc. How can I fix this problem? This is how Windows Defender...
  9. After disabling Windows Defender, it's still working and consumes memory and CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After disabling Windows Defender, it's still working and consumes memory and CPU: Windows defender is still working after disabling it from group policy editor and registry editor. I can't stop the service or even disable it. It consumes alot of CPU and Memory Thanks...
  10. Windows Defender still active after disabling

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender still active after disabling: I have to go through this everytime I have to refresh Windows 10. Windows Defender is the absolute worst piece of malware I've ever encountered. Every attempt I make to disable it, it keeps coming back like a bad case of acne. I do not want, nor do I need, any type of...