Windows 10: Windows Defender Stops Scanning

Discus and support Windows Defender Stops Scanning in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I start a virus scan using Windows 10 Defender it stops scanning after just a few minutes on full scan and says " threat protection has stopped... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by cuz746, Apr 16, 2020.

1. cuz746 Win User

Windows Defender Stops Scanning

When I start a virus scan using Windows 10 Defender it stops scanning after just a few minutes on full scan and says " threat protection has stopped with an option to restart it. After clicking the restart button, Defender doesn't restart. Help would be appreciated.

:)

cuz746, Apr 16, 2020

2. windows defender scanning stopped

Hi Mary,

As per the issue description you are unable to scan your computer using Windows Defender. While scanning your system you are getting an error message "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or
    restart you computer, which will start the service."

The issue could be if the service responsible for Windows defender either get corrupted or is stopped. Try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows Defender are running. If it is running make sure the status is Automatic. You may follow the steps provided below to check the services.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each service and start the service if not running.

Method 2

If issue persists, try to refer the articles mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Windows Defender stops scanning

You can follow these steps to disable Windows Defender from Windows 10:

• Type services in the Cortana search field, then click
      Services.
    • Locate then right-click Windows Defender Service.
    • Choose Stop.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if you have further queries.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Windows Defender Stops Scanning

defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Stops Scanning

1. Windows Defender Stops Scanning - Similar Threads - Defender Stops Scanning

2. Defender offline scan stops at 91%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender offline scan stops at 91%: I'm a windows 11 user. When I run the Windows defender offline scan to confirm the security of my computer, it scans a long time on 91% and then it finishes. I cannot see the results of the scan in the windows security app. Why is it? Is it a malware? If so, where can I find...
  3. Defender offline scan stops at 91%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender offline scan stops at 91%: I'm a windows 11 user. When I run the Windows defender offline scan to confirm the security of my computer, it scans a long time on 91% and then it finishes. I cannot see the results of the scan in the windows security app. Why is it? Is it a malware? If so, where can I find...
  4. windows defender quick scans stopped.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender quick scans stopped.: It won't do schedule daily scan as before or shows in notifications that it's done with no threats found but it doesn't appear on windows defender.when I force quick scan or do full scan I get weird number of files count increasing so fast in a very strange manner at the very...
  5. windows defender quick scans stopped.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender quick scans stopped.: It won't do schedule daily scan as before or shows in notifications that it's done with no threats found but it doesn't appear on windows defender.when I force quick scan or do full scan I get weird number of files count increasing so fast in a very strange manner at the very...
  6. windows defender quick scans stopped.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Microsoft Defender doesn't stop scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender doesn't stop scanning: I started to scan my laptop today morning and it has an hour since it started the scan. At first it worked well and all of a sudden this happenedThe Estimate time keeps increasing and I am sure that i don't have 188395 files in my computer since i recently brought it. By the...
  8. Windows Defender Offline scan stops at 91%

Windows Defender Offline scan stops at 91%: Ran Windows Defender offline this morning for no particular reason. I'm pretty sure machine is clean. Full system scan and Malwarebytes found no threats. It got to 91% then closed and restarted. Any idea why it stopped ? Last couple of lines in the log read:...
  9. To stop Windows defender from auto scans

To stop Windows defender from auto scans: Any way to stop WD from doing periodical auto scans ? 152317
  10. Stop Windows Defender scanning SD cards

Stop Windows Defender scanning SD cards: Thanks have done as you suggested, will try it out over the weekend to see if it speeds up the import from SD card to Lightroom

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender stops