Windows 10: Windows Defender Stuck on Removing Severe Threat

Discus and support Windows Defender Stuck on Removing Severe Threat in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I scanned my PC's with this Microsoft Safety Scanner - Free Virus Scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner The scan found a lot of malware and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kstavert, Aug 8, 2016.

1. kstavert Win User

Windows Defender Stuck on Removing Severe Threat

I scanned my PC's with this Microsoft Safety Scanner - Free Virus Scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner

The scan found a lot of malware and removed all but three items - severe -
    and i read that Windows Defender would complete the job/remove the
    malware.

the three remaining items are:
    VirTool:JS/Obfuscator.HO
    VirTool:JS/Obfuscator.HS
    VirTool:JS/Obfuscator.HN

my question is - is WD stuck. the message reads "applying your actions
    this might take a few SECONDS.

Well, I started it at about 7 a.m. this morning and it's been sitting at about
    2/3 the way through the process for almost that entire 13 hours.

Do i just leave it alone? Restart it? Any suggestions?

thanks
    Karen

:)

kstavert, Aug 8, 2016

2. Defender's removal of severe threats

I am sorry to say that I only a user and to be honest its very hard to make sentence for this question specially that I am new to use the computer. May be one day I am a genuse of the computer

rperez5342, Aug 8, 2016
  3. Defender's removal of severe threats

I followed these instructions, but the system would not let me paste the copied item, the command. I tried again, was able to paste the command but then got the following response:

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MpPreference -ScanPurgeItemsAfterDelay 10 DAYS.

Set-MpPreference : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'DAYS.'.

At line:1 char:1

+ Set-MpPreference -ScanPurgeItemsAfterDelay 10 DAYS.

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: Windows Defender Stuck on Removing Severe Threat :)) [Set-MpPreference], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-MpPreference

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-MpPreference -ScanPurgeItemsAfterDelay

Baerbel1960, Aug 8, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Karen and welcome to Tenforums.

No, it shouldn't take that long - it's having difficulty.
    Please run RKILL. Do NOT reboot.
    Then run MBAR.
    You should now be able to run Windows Defender to get rid of those infections..
    Then run TempFile Cleaner.
    Then run JRT (Junkware Removal Tool).
    Finally, run ADWCleaner.

That should do it. *Smile

simrick, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Slartybart, Aug 8, 2016
  6. kstavert Win User
    WD was definitely having trouble... it was in the same spot
    this morning.

Thank you soooooo very much for your help

I actually started all of this with ADWCleaner because
    the following two registry files would not be removed.

type
    Key HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\(10921475-03CE-4E04-90CE-E2E7EF20C814)

HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\(10921475-03CE-4E04-90CE-E2E7EF20C814)

I ran ADWCleaner 4 or 5 times to try to get it to delete
    these files...

then, I ran the Microsoft tool and WD...

Just ran all of the programs you recommended and finished
    with ADWCleaner... and guess what???

These two registry files are still there!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?

I've not manually cleaned anything from the registry before

Again, thank you very much

Karen

kstavert, Aug 8, 2016
  7. kstavert Win User
    Thank you...

now, you say to burn a cd... will jump drive do the
    same thing?

Karen

kstavert, Aug 8, 2016
  8. Borg 386 Win User

I'm seeing some references that say some of the Obfuscator variants plant a rootkit, therefore, d/l & run TDSSKiller.

TDSSKiller Download

I see you started with AdwCleaner, the recommended action would be to run RKill first to attempt to terminate the malicious processes. After running this, do not reboot, proceed to scanning with your malware scanners. Please take a moment to read the documentation on the d/l page.

RKill Download

Being that the malware scanners cannot remove the reg keys, you may have to navigate to those points in the registry & manually delete them.

Borg 386, Aug 8, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    So these 2 keys were identified by ADWCleaner as rogue and needing to be removed? Have you tried running ADWCleaner in safe mode to get rid of them?
    Borg is right, you may have to go in and delete them yourself. Just be sure to back up your registry and create a restore point first. *Wink

simrick, Aug 8, 2016
  10. Sure, you can put Windows Defender Offline on a jump drive.

But the emphasis of my post is that you no longer have to do that ...
    you can launch Defender Offline from Settings > Update and Security > Defender > Defender Offline
    as described here: Defender Offline

simrick (safe mode Adwcleaner with a question about the reg entires) and Borg (tdssKiller, Rkill, possible manual reg entries removal) have offered other suggestions - it helps troubleshooting if you always follow the order of the suggestions and report the results.

When you've completed all on-demand scans and other remediation steps, run the following (both commands take a while to complete).

If there are any integrity issues reported in the results on the screen,

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /ScanNow

Slartybart, Aug 8, 2016
  11. If you have any IObit software on your machine - please uninstall those
    If you paid for the software make sure you have a key to reinstall (not recommended)

Slartybart, Aug 8, 2016
  12. kstavert Win User
    I followed the recommendations that I was given here...

when I wrote, "I started with ADWClearner" - that was
    BEFORE I came here... the Reg Keys that would not
    delete are why i started looking for answers and how
    I ended up here.

I ran everything I was advised to run - in the order as
    listed and now one of my PC's is squeaky clean...

I can't thank you enough... another has the same
    crap on it and I'm going through the same process
    on it.

You guys are the best. thanks

Karen

kstavert, Aug 8, 2016
  13. Windows Defender Stuck on Removing Severe Threat

Stay safe my comrade.

RubberDucky, Aug 8, 2016
  14. Borg 386 Win User
    I'm sorry if I misinterpreted that & I'm glad you got it sorted. *Biggrin

If possible, can you post which cleaners you ran & which one deleted the infection so we'll have a reference point down the road should this happen to someone else.

Also, once you have confirmed a clean system, take some time to make a system image. This will be invaluable down the road should your OS be compromised badly or hit with ransomware. Follow the tutorial & keep your images on a external HDD/Flash Drive that is not connected to the computer at all times. Make images on a regular basis. Keep 2 or 3 older ones just in case you inadvertently make one with malware.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Aug 8, 2016
  15. kstavert Win User
    Hi Slartybart

What does iObit have to do with this?

I have used their uninstaller..... I will
    remove it from my PC's

Thanks

kstavert, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Defender Stuck on Removing Severe Threat - Similar Threads - Defender Stuck Removing

2. Severe Threat removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Severe Threat removal: I did a full scan of my laptop and a Trojan was detected. I selected to have it removed and 40 minutes later it still hasn't completed the task. Is there a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/severe-threat-removal/46aed1f3-cb71-4da2-8281-c85d177ed140
  3. Severe Threat removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Severe Threat removal: I did a full scan of my laptop and a Trojan was detected. I selected to have it removed and 40 minutes later it still hasn't completed the task. Is there a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/severe-threat-removal/46aed1f3-cb71-4da2-8281-c85d177ed140
  4. Can remove a threat by windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can remove a threat by windows defender: Hello,I received the following warning after I plugged in my USB Flashdrive, I click on remove the threat but it doesn't go away. Please note that I've checked my USB flash drive using an anti-virus software but it was found to be clean, also note that my flash drive doesn't...
  5. Can remove a threat by windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can remove a threat by windows defender: Hello,I received the following warning after I plugged in my USB Flashdrive, I click on remove the threat but it doesn't go away. Please note that I've checked my USB flash drive using an anti-virus software but it was found to be clean, also note that my flash drive doesn't...
  6. windows defender not removing threat

windows defender not removing threat: today windows defender has found a threat with high severity, i clicked on the remove option and clicked "start action", nothing happened; i also tried running some quick scans and a full scan, still nothing. Also tried restarting my laptop but the threat is still...
  7. WINDOWS DEFENDER IS NOT REMOVING THREATS

WINDOWS DEFENDER IS NOT REMOVING THREATS: I'm having a problem with Windows Defender the threats found after I ran a full scan that last maybe around 10 hours cannot be removed by windows defender. I selected the remove option and it shows processing but after a while the threats are still listed and active. I...
  8. removing threats with windows defender

removing threats with windows defender: So iv chosen what actions to perform which are to remove and made no action on the threats blocked as i dont want them to be allowed to stay. So how do i tell windows to caring out these actions? Im currently looking under Protection history...
  9. Windows Defender Stuck while removing "Threat"

Windows Defender Stuck while removing "Threat": It discovered a thread which isn't a real threat. Now it is stuck for an hour trying to removing it, while it is not progressing at all and at the same time it wastes 25% of my CPU constantly. I can't terminate the process either, not even as administrator. The only thing I...
  10. severe threat is windows defender?! What?!

severe threat is windows defender?! What?!: I dont get it is this false positive? [img] 60008

Users found this page by searching for:

1. severe threat in windows 10 defender remove or quarantine

2. windows defender cannot remove threats

3. windows defender cannot remove severe