Windows 10: Windows Defender suddenly disabling Save Function

Discus and support Windows Defender suddenly disabling Save Function in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender has suddenly, and with no apparent connection to recent Windows 10 updates or any new programs added to my Surface Pro 4, started... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JMR1942, Jan 27, 2019.

1. JMR1942 Win User

Windows Defender suddenly disabling Save Function

Windows Defender has suddenly, and with no apparent connection to recent Windows 10 updates or any new programs added to my Surface Pro 4, started blocking my "Save" file function and Save image function, even from such basic applications as Notepad and Adobe print/save to PDF. I've temporarily disabled Controlled Folder Access (after many Google searches to find that as an answer), and that step has allowed my work to resume. Two questions: why is this now suddenly occurring in January 2019 (after not ever having been a problem earlier, and at a time when I've added no new software, apps or system changes of my own)? And is there no "fix" available that will allow me to otherwise use the Controlled Folder Access feature?

:)

JMR1942, Jan 27, 2019

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 27, 2019
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Jan 27, 2019
  4. Windows Defender suddenly disabling Save Function

What the hell, windows defender?

Miners? Pretty sure no one claimed their miner program was disabling Windows Defender.

The fact WD is tagging a miner program merely suggests the miner program is doing something in an unusual, thus suspicious way. Should WD know that particular miner program is legit? Probably. Do you expect WD (or any security program) to automatically know every single legitimate program out there - even every time they are updated? I don't.

BTW, are you reporting that miner program to Microsoft as legit? If not, then you are part of the problem.

I agree with that. But it just does always work that way with computers in general.

My ISP sent out an update to my cable box/DVR. Suddenly all my scheduled programs had to be rescheduled. Half of my installed programs on this Windows computer I have to tell the installer I want it installed on D drive, not C. That's not Windows fault.

When there are major changes to a program, I can see where defaults may be reset.

As for UAC, as I said above, mine have never been changed back. Other changes I make stick.

As for enabling WD when you have disabled it AND you have no AV installed, I think MS is erring on the right side of that one - not you.

Bill_Bright, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender suddenly disabling Save Function

1. Windows Defender suddenly disabling Save Function - Similar Threads - Defender suddenly disabling

2. Your Phone app - line-break functionality suddenly disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone app - line-break functionality suddenly disabled: Since last Saturday 8/21/21, the line-break SHIFT+ENTER functionality in texting via the Your Phone app is not working. I've also tried ALT+ENTER, CTL+ENTER. I used to find the Your Phone app on my Windows 10 desktop a very easy way to text from my Android phone....
  3. Disabling Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Windows Defender: I just need one question answered. What happens to the quarantined files when you disable windows defender either on server or professional editions? Are they automatically deleted? restored? stuck in quarantine forever?...
  4. Touchpad suddenly not functioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad suddenly not functioning: Hello everyone! Hopefully you're all surviving this pandemic without too much disruption. Anyway, I'll just get on with it. Please see the timeline of events below: Bought an Acer Aspire 7 A715-74G laptop brand new just under four months ago when I started my own...
  5. Windows defender not functioning as required

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender not functioning as required: Can anybody tell me why my windows defender screen pops up and disappear everytime I click on it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-not-functioning-as-required/e3548fb8-464f-47f5-809b-aa626357eb57
  6. Save As function & screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Save As function & screen: recently i've noticed that when I download any pdf documents from the web, it opens a Save As screen that is in full screen mode with no min/max function buttons so it covers the document i'm downloading, sometimes i download a lot of documents & can't quite remember which...
  7. Windows Defender is not functioning

Windows Defender is not functioning: Hello! I think my windows defender is not working, it is enabled but the real time protection tab cant be on, I haven't installed any 3rd party anti virus software cause I've been using Windows Defender since. any help? Thanks! [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. windows defender is not functioning

windows defender is not functioning: [ATTACH] my windows defender is not working. how can I fix this? this is only I can see in the windows defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-is-not-functioning/a55d2ab6-94ea-476f-a6ca-1292c07dc8f9
  9. WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT FUNCTIONING

WINDOWS DEFENDER NOT FUNCTIONING: I think I was attacked by some malware and my defender became inactive and I tried to get the malware out but the defender still not opening even though I have put off the malwarebyte software that I used earlier to solve the problem. please help me. [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows 10 Defender not functioning?

Windows 10 Defender not functioning?: Hey my old antivirus expired and now i just want to use defender but it doesnt seem to be an option to turn it on. I uninstalled every other antivirus software completely and ran all sorts of checks for corrupted files and anything else that would cause defender to not work....