Windows 10: Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk

Discus and support Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello! I have a pretty powerful cpu and my disk is fine (i have an i7 7700) Antimalware service executable started taking today about 15% cpu and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/p1nQ, Sep 16, 2020.

1. /u/p1nQ Win User

Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk

Hello! I have a pretty powerful cpu and my disk is fine (i have an i7 7700)

Antimalware service executable started taking today about 15% cpu and 70mb/s of disk, this happened after I did a full scan. It sometimes goes to 30% cpu and 100mb/s

I tried restarting my pc 2 times, and it will go constantly, even 10 minutes after launching my PC. I tried using task scheduler and putting the MsMpEng.exe as an exclusion in windows defender, I tried scanning for corrupted files via cmd.

After all of this things done, it's the same thing, can anyone help me? The file is 100% from Windows, it is in system32 and I tried using Process Explorer and it is a verified Microsoft executable file. Sometimes it goes to 0% but after max 15 seconds it goes back. I have Windows 10 Home. I have never encountered this problem ever.

edit: grammar

submitted by /u/p1nQ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/p1nQ, Sep 16, 2020
  2. Jeroen HD Win User

Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows explorer takes up most of CPU

Hi,

Stored files and data may have caused the Windows Explorer to take up most spaces on your CPU. To correct this, we suggest that you follow these methods:

Method 1: Disk cleanup in Windows 10.

Method 2: Managing the Task Manager.

• Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
    • Terminate explorer.exe.
    • Start a new explorer.exe.

Let us know if any of these methods worked.

Xylee Del, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk

1. Windows defender taking 13.7% of cpu and 77mb/s of disk - Similar Threads - defender taking cpu

2. system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu: system and defender take too much ram and cpu without any reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-ms-defender-taking-too-much-ram-and-cpu/b71c9945-f610-4f28-ba3b-49a1b60c6b8c
  3. system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu: system and defender take too much ram and cpu without any reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-ms-defender-taking-too-much-ram-and-cpu/b71c9945-f610-4f28-ba3b-49a1b60c6b8c
  4. system and MS defender taking too much ram and cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Defender taking up 50% CPU All the Time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender taking up 50% CPU All the Time: [ATTACH] I think I have tried everything, from simply turning off live protection, to deleting automated scans in the task scheduler, to adding a entry called DisableAntiSpyware in the registry editor. I have checked for software updates and security updates. I have...
  6. Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something interfering with Defender and taking up my CPU: Hey, I've had some problems with my computer recently. Specifically: -My computer runs at essentially "full capacity" at most times, with my CPU going at 100% whenever I am not checking on it through task manager, at which point the percentage drops suddenly, as if...
  7. Windows 10’s search will stop hogging disk or CPU resources

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s search will stop hogging disk or CPU resources: Windows 10 20H1 update, which will be released later this year, includes fixes for excessive disk and CPU usage caused by Windows Search Indexer. Today, Microsoft confirmed that the company is working on another Windows 10 update that will include more changes for Windows...
  8. Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender quick scan throttles CPU and Disk on Windows 10: Hello, I recently decided to do a quick scan on my computer with Windows Defender. Upon doing so it throttled my CPU to like 95% and my disk to like 95% as well. Is this normal? Upon completion of the scan everything went back to normal. Windows 10 is also on my SSD. Also,...
  9. Service Host: Disk Defragmenter taking up huge amounts of CPU 24/7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: Disk Defragmenter taking up huge amounts of CPU 24/7: Seriously, it's starting to concern me how it's permanently taking up this much of my CPU... Here's a link showing how much of the CPU it's taking up, it's been like this for days now. https://i.imgur.com/k94cXGa.png 73560
  10. Windows 10 takes less disk space than 7?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes less disk space than 7?: I installed Windows 10 and despite there being a 5 GB windows.old folder, the C: drive has about 10 GB free that it didn't before the installation (accounting for the installation files which otherwise would have made it 15 GB). What is Windows 10 doing so differently that...