Windows 10: Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont

Discus and support Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My windows defender is telling me I have a virus that I got away then after it still tells me about the same virus even tho its not there And I tried... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Theo123svensk, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont

My windows defender is telling me I have a virus that I got away then after it still tells me about the same virus even tho its not there And I tried multiply times and it still tells me about that virus

:)

Theo123svensk, Sep 4, 2020

2. Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont

Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont

1. Windows defender telling I have virus but I dont - Similar Threads - defender telling virus

2. I dont know why is this happening.I dont have another anti-virus.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I dont know why is this happening.I dont have another anti-virus.: Please help me find the solve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-know-why-is-this-happeningi-dont-have/e78c10c8-43fd-4e3c-8bc2-c015020dc206
  3. i dont have windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i dont have windows defender: i don't know why i don't have windows defender is something wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-windows-defender/52db8df8-1e2a-4b93-919b-16fc7a9b3af7
  4. i dont have windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i dont have windows defender: i don't know why i don't have windows defender is something wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-windows-defender/52db8df8-1e2a-4b93-919b-16fc7a9b3af7
  5. i dont have windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Notification tells me I have a virus.

Notification tells me I have a virus.: Windows Defender tells me it cannot access a file and tells me to contact my IT Administrator. I am on the computer and I am the only administrator. From what I can see, the subject is not being displayed."Notification tells me I have a virus."*moved from Windows / Apps on...
  7. Notification tells me I have a virus.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notification tells me I have a virus.: Windows Defender tells me it cannot access a file and tells me to contact my IT Administrator. I am on the computer and I am the only administrator. From what I can see, the subject is not being displayed."Notification tells me I have a virus."...
  8. I dont have access to Windows defender.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I dont have access to Windows defender.: So, I played one game on steam (stellaris) and got a problems with my mods. Tried to fix it by managing exclusions on Malwarebytes but soon decided to delete Malwarebytes and tried to use windows defender. But now I got a bigger problem because it is said that my windows...
  9. Windows Defender keeps telling me I have a virus

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender keeps telling me I have a virus: I've downloaded a file which turned out to have a virus. I've removed it manually, but Windows Defender keeps telling me that there is a malicious file present, despite the file no longer existing. I've did a deep ESET and Norton scan that found nothing, but Windows Defender...
  10. I cant tell if I have a virus or not, need help

I cant tell if I have a virus or not, need help: My PC has been running fine for over 2 years now until the past weekend where somehow I think it got a virus and im not sure how because I avoid sketchy websites and downloads. My task manager frequently says disk 100% especially when I run antivirus programs. Also any...