Windows 10: Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

Discus and support Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; There has been an increase in free versions of programs that purport to scan computers for various errors, and then use alarming, coercive messages to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

Source: Protecting customers from being intimidated into making an unnecessary purchase Microsoft Secure

:)

Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  2. Monkey57 Win User
    Monkey57, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Alan B Win User
    Windows Defender vs Norton 360

Norton 360 includes a back-up facility. Windows 10 provides a back-up facility although it isn't part of Defender.

Norton 360 includes a firewall. Windows 10 provides a firewall although it isn't part of Defender.

Norton 360 includes protection against malware. Defender provides protection against malware.

Alan B, Jan 30, 2018
  4. swarfega Win User

Microsoft Drops the Hammer on Coercive Registry Cleaners & System Optimizers

Starting March 1st 2018, Windows Defender and other Microsoft products will begin to remove programs that display coercive behavior designed to pressure a user into purchasing their software. This includes registry cleaners and system optimizers that offer free scans, detect issues with alarming messages, and then require the user to purchase the product before fixing anything.

Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages [​IMG]

Source: [link]

swarfega, Jan 30, 2018
  5. swarfega Win User
    oi Sean! I checked for existing articles too!

swarfega, Jan 30, 2018
  6. Then all software that is not from The Store *Wink

Josey Wales, Jan 30, 2018
  7. PJLLB Win User
    Not even close. Read the statement. Your statement is a fantasy away from what it says.

PJLLB, Jan 30, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

They should look to their own outlook.com and Skype apps then. Always bugging me to buy Office 365 subscription or spend money on some idiot sport betting site.

It is not a bad idea but one persons idea of "coercive" is another persons idea of "advertisement".

I find outlook.com adverts only mildly irritating but the ones on Skype are pretty coercive frankly. Especially if you have a gambling problem which they clearly think I have (it is all I see anyway for some reason).

If they are not designed to "put pressure on customers into making a purchase or performing other actions" then what are they for? Decoration?

9. You read it. I do not need MS deciding what I install on My PC.

Josey Wales, Jan 31, 2018
  10. Faith Win User
    Aren't those cookie ads? That's not really what this is about. This is about free software that's trying to lure you into a premium by telling you lies or misleading information about your computer. I doubt Microsoft will try to tell you that your computer is about to die if you don't buy Office 365.

Faith, Jan 31, 2018
  11. The majority of freeware does this. I do not need a watchdog, MS seems to think that their user base is full of users that for lack of a better word- "Can't Read"

12. Faith Win User
    Which is probably the truth. Though freewares doesn't need to lie or spread misinformation to gain monetary access in my opinion.

Faith, Jan 31, 2018
  13. Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

No they do not but Microsoft has enough access to your PC, they do not need more.

14. Agreed. *Smile

It's also "a bit rich" for a company that removes features from it cheaper OS versions to "encourage" you to upgrade to a more expensive version (e.g. W10 Pro to W10 Workstation W10 Enterprise)

lehnerus2000, Jan 31, 2018
  15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I like the idea. Putting a halt to scareware is always good news. As for people saying this is MS spying on you, I partly disagree (not about the part about MS spying on you), but on the part about 99% of these "software" gets installed without user consent either because, yes, most non-knowledgeable users are happy clickers (next, next, next) or the software gets installed inadvertently. And I am pretty sure most of the software isn't useful at all anyway (not even the paid versions) and most of the time is a backdoor to further issues.

eLPuSHeR, Jan 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages - Similar Threads - Defender protect against

2. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not showing Protection History: I get notifications of controlled folder access but when I click it my windows defender's protection history is always empty. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-not-showing-protection-history/f0082567-a29c-451c-9a8f-33ddebb68464
  3. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender not showing Protection History: hello friends, something very annoying has been happening to me for a few weeks, at first I did not give it importance but now it is unbearable and annoying and the truth is I do not know what caused it, it may have been a windows update or The fact that I moved my programs...
  4. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender not showing Protection History: hello friends, something very annoying has been happening to me for a few weeks, at first I did not give it importance but now it is unbearable and annoying and the truth is I do not know what caused it, it may have been a windows update or The fact that I moved my programs...
  5. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

6. WIndows Defender not showing Protection History

WIndows Defender not showing Protection History: Hello,I recently re-installed windows on my pc, but I chose to keep all my files and apps. All the apps' data were alright, but windows defender's protection history was gone! I don't have a problem with that. But then no matter how many times my pc is scanned and actions are...
  7. Does Windows Defender protect me against hackers/spying?

Does Windows Defender protect me against hackers/spying?: I've recently become pretty paranoid about my PC's security. I've run multiple full scans that came up negative. I'm still slightly concerned about my security online. How good is Windows Security at protecting me against hackers? Does it secure my webcam and make sure...
  8. Protection Against Ransomwares

Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  9. Does Windows Defender protect against malware with all browsers?

Does Windows Defender protect against malware with all browsers?: I have Windows 10 on my desktop. I have had Malwarebytes working on this computer since 2013. Suddenly, it will no longer open but it is still installed. I have no idea why this has happened and have had trouble getting help from Malwarebytes. Does Windows Defender...
  10. Is Microsoft Defender providing protection against "SaveThQueen" malware?

Is Microsoft Defender providing protection against "SaveThQueen" malware?: Hello, Is Microsoft Defender providing protection against "SaveThQueen" malware? Thanks, Florina https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-defender-providing-protection-against/b16f50af-8b6c-4091-9c0b-649eb46c58de"