Windows 10: Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus

Discus and support Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What's going on here? Microsoft Defender, I suspect after a minor Windows update, turned off Trend Micro Antivirus. I have Trend Micro and IObit... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TheOldGeek, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus

What's going on here?

Microsoft Defender, I suspect after a minor Windows update, turned off Trend Micro Antivirus. I have Trend Micro and IObit malware defender installed.

NOTE: [COLOR=rgba215, 57, 0, 1]I had to choose a series of topics, and beyond Defender, none of them are even remotely close. My post will explain what the issue really is though. [/COLOR]

Microsoft Defender still runs, and I cannot select Trend Micro as the primary AV, nor is Windows security recognizing Trend Micro's web protection.

Thankfully Trend Micro still runs, but having two solutions run at the same time is not a good situation. IObit is not a problem here at present, as I don't have the continuous monitoring enabled on it. I do want to however, but cannot as long as Defender is running.

Defender then eats up a large quantity of RAM.

I have tried disabling Tamper protection, and have turned off Real-time protection as well as Cloud delivered protection. Set the group policy in W10 pro, and Defender undid my settings.

Then tried using a batch script, and no luck. Changed the "run in protected space" registry key--STILL no luck. Defender STILL runs, and will not respect my settings.

FWIW I have no problems with Defender being there if it respects my other AV software. I don't want to remove it, I want it to work. But as long as it doesn't work I'd be grateful to receive instructions for how to rip it out of the registry once and for all. I'd prefer instructions on how to get it to work though.

I'd upload the batch file but see no way to upload anything here. Perhaps I am missing it.

Version of Windows, W10 Pro, 10.0.19041 Build 19041. I'm on stable release distro w/a year delay. I prefer to manage my Windows updates with careful eyes.

Machine: ASUS ROG G752VL. 8-core processor, 12G RAM.

Last two security updates installed: KB4598242, KB4598481

I noticed the change a few days back so I don't think the problem are these updates. I could be wrong though. No newer update is showing in my system. It is also virus and malware free btw.

PS: I see I can do screenshots so I will try that.

It is also maddening that the property settings in services for Windows Defender & Security are greyed out; even when services is run as administrator.

Screenshot 1: Windows Security property settings greyed out entirely. Running as administrator.

Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus 63762e54-6738-4d45-b74d-026c48f41496?upload=true.jpg

Screenshot 2: Windows Defender settings. Service is stopped at the moment; so I think something in the batch file worked, but I cannot disable it. Nor can I start it manually--it tells me "some programs start and stop when they are not in use by a program on this computer".
    Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus 75873858-3c6b-4a8f-aed3-bb6f154ba430?upload=true.jpg

Screenshot 3: Access denied when attempting to stop service while in administrator.

Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus eda02839-1a1f-44c9-89a6-e2ba5ffa5a11?upload=true.jpg

Screenshot 4: Windows Defender firewall settings greyed out in services also. BTW, I do have another firewall configured for the network. And I don't mind this one locally on the machine, as long as it lets me control it.

Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus 33f24893-055b-4374-a5d9-3d3b28678b50?upload=true.jpg

Screenshot 5: Windows Defender AV settings: No matter how many times I try to select Trend Micro, it won't let me.
    Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus e5133319-01c7-430e-be40-34ba812949f3?upload=true.jpg

I am not a child, and have been using Windows OS since 1992. This "for my own good" stuff really smacks of W95 and Internet explorer. I'm hoping the real explanation is something simple instead.

I have not updated to the latest W10 version as I hear it will take policy manager away from me. I will update when I have verified this to be untrue, and verified that all bugs in the newest release are dealt with. If an update fully fixes this issue I will definitely consider it. As I update via the catalog please give me the KB number for the update which remedies the problem.

If anyone has powershell commands for getting around this issue I'm all ears.

Thank you all so much for your help, I appreciate it.

EDIT:
    Took out batch script as the link to the solution is located in the comment below. Also took out links in this post, as only that one is necessary.
    Please mark as closed, as I found my solution.

:)

TheOldGeek, Apr 15, 2021
  2. Owen 2222 Win User

Windows Defender interfering with my antivirus program

I have Trend Micro Antivirus software on my computer which I recently renewed for another year, but I keep getting messages that tell me either Trend Micro is out of date, or that 'Windows Defender and Trend Micro antivirus are both turned off.'

I have turned Trend Micro back on, and connected to the internet to verify it, and allow the program to install the newest update, but it's not working; I still get the same notifications. This seems to have started after I downloaded Windows 10. Does anyone
    if the OS is interfering with updates from my antivirus program? Is Windows Defender somehow blocking Trend Micro?

Thank you very much for any input (pun intended)

Owen2222

Owen 2222, Apr 15, 2021
  3. trend micro

how do I install trend micro titanium antivirus on windows 10 help

GEORGE DBROWN JR, Apr 15, 2021
  4. McNuttie Win User

Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus

Windows Defender will not work, with TRENDS MICRO running.

My Windows Defender will not work, with TRENDS MICRO running.

Why not..??

Original title: Windows Deender

McNuttie, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus

1. Windows Defender Turned off Trend Micro Antivirus - Similar Threads - Defender Turned off

2. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off: I don't have the option to enable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in my Windows Security settings.I've poked around on the internet and nothing has yielded results. I've gone through and given it a scan with Malwarebytes, made sure that security settings are enabled in the...
  3. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off: I don't have the option to enable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in my Windows Security settings.I've poked around on the internet and nothing has yielded results. I've gone through and given it a scan with Malwarebytes, made sure that security settings are enabled in the...
  4. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trend Micro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trend Micro: So I have a laptop I'm using right now, and i recently just got Trend Micro, but this thing SUCKS. Now I thought don't judge a book by it's cover. BUT THIS THING TAKES UP OVER 330,000 KB. Not only that, it comes with 4 others. So at the start I had 4 GB left but now I barely...
  6. Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off.: I just got a notifications that says "Windows defender antivirus and AVG Antivirus are both turned off. " When I go into Virus & threat protection its says that my virus and threat protection is managed by my organization. Which is not possible cause its my pc at home which...
  7. Trend Micro Blocking Powershell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trend Micro Blocking Powershell: I have trend Micro installed . I am getting this message. Should I unblock it so that it would install? [ATTACH] [Original Title: Powershell] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trend-micro-blocking-powershell/3918a820-cfd3-492f-b753-840da82ef030
  8. Trend Micro installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trend Micro installation: Trend micro says its been installed, however I can't locate it on my laptop ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trend-micro-installation/76483158-09f8-4583-a9ab-05e9c59df522
  9. Trend Micro only

Trend Micro only: recently did a clean install of W10. A whole new experience. Advice from a "knowledgable" was to leave all the AVs etc out and get the paid version of Trend Micro which would give me complete cover. I think I should have Ccleaner & Malwarebytes though. Any thoughts on this?...
  10. Trend Micro...

Trend Micro...: Think I'm going to give Trend Micro a try is it a good buy as I've never used it before it does look good and they say it works on all my devices which is great news. 8635