Windows 10: Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird

Discus and support Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Every now and then I like to run a full scan of all the drives in my computer (Windows 10). Lately I am unable to complete this task. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TomM1249, Jun 26, 2019.

1. TomM1249 Win User

Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird

Hi,

Every now and then I like to run a full scan of all the drives in my computer (Windows 10). Lately I am unable to complete this task. The symptoms are a little weird. When I kick off either a full or custom scan I see the CPU utilization ramp up ultimately to the point (after a few minutes) where all 8 cores are running at 100%. I hear the CPU fan accelerate. After a short time the computer shuts itself off. Now, I am guessing that I have a BIOS setting somewhere that detects the CPU temperature and shuts everything off to keep things from melting, and I suppose I could turn this off. However, this is new behavior for the machine, and I would prefer not to turn off the "please don't melt my CPU" bios setting. I am unable to set the affinity for MsMpEng.exe (Access is denied). I have also tried to set the group policy for Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender Antivirus --> Scan --> Specify the maximum percentage of CPU utilization during a scan to 20% but this has no effect. I am able to fully scan all disks with Malwarebytes without a problem. I ran sfc /scannow -- which recently reported and repaired some file permissions errors, but otherwise the machine works as always. Has anyone seen something like this? Seems like if I could just set the affinity to only use 1 or 2 cores I would be all set, but so far I've had no success getting Task Manager to allow me to do this. Is there a way to force the affinity somewhere else?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

:)

TomM1249, Jun 26, 2019

2. Windows Defender not completing scans

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing issues using Windows Defender.

I would suggest you to go through the below methods:

Method 1: Set Windows Defender to Automatic

You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.

2. Search for Windows defender.

3. Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.

Method 2: Run SFC scan, it will check, if there is any kind of corruption on the operating system.

• Press WIN+X.

• Click on command prompt with admin.

• Type sfc /scannow and press enter.

• Reboot the computer once finished.

Method 3: Try the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/931849

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Sahil Bali, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Windows 10 is unable to complete shut down

We suggest doing these troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1. Hard Reset

• Shut down your computer.
    • Remove the cable and wires connected to your computer.
    • Press the Power button for 10 seconds to completely drain your device.
    • Check if there's any changes.
    Method 2. Shutdown trick.

• Press Windows key.
    • Press and hold Shift.
    • Click the Power icon.
    • Select and click Shutdown.
    Let us know the outcome.

Ernie San, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird

Defender won't complete a scan

Once again I draw your attention to the link I gave earlier:

Particularly these words:

Scan could not complete
    If scans are taking too long or appear to be progressing very slowly, consider the following solutions:

• Ensure you have sufficient disk space
    • Run focused scans while your PC is idle

Ensure you have sufficient disk space
    Windows Defender Antivirus requires disk space to remove and quarantine malware files. It might be prevented from completely removing a threat if there isn't enough space on your PC, particularly on your system drive (commonly drive C). See the following
    to help free up space:

After you've freed up some space, update and then
    run a scan again.

Speed up scans
    In general, full scans can take a long time if you have a large disk with lots of files. Large files, especially archives such as ZIP files, take longer to scan.

Quick scans complete much faster than full scans and are
    designed to check areas that most often harbor threats. To speed up scans, close other applications and run scans while your computer is idle. Advanced users can also

try running scans with special switches

Windows Defender Antivirus encounters errors
    If Windows Defender Antivirus continually encounters errors during scans or during malware removal, try the following solutions:

7ff2a89d-4617-4f57-9a1a-ca8dc82d7e88, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird

1. Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird - Similar Threads - Defender unable complete

2. My computer shut down itself during defender full scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer shut down itself during defender full scan: I just bought a full set of computer and did all the test, including the stress test and I don't think shutting itself is related with the heat.I tested for few times, whenever I hit fullscan, at the exact 35th seconds both computer and monitor shut itself....
  3. My computer shut down itself during defender full scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer shut down itself during defender full scan: I just bought a full set of computer and did all the test, including the stress test and I don't think shutting itself is related with the heat.I tested for few times, whenever I hit fullscan, at the exact 35th seconds both computer and monitor shut itself....
  4. My computer shut down itself during defender full scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Defender Full Scan causes PC to shut down once completed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Full Scan causes PC to shut down once completed: I have scheduled a weekly full scan via the Task Scheduler which has been working well for months but for the last two weeks my PC shuts down following completion of the scan, the task scheduler shows the scan has compIeted but the results do not show in the Windows Defender...
  6. Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan: Twice now I have attempted to run a full scan and both times I return to check on the computer and it has shut down. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-10-defender-shuts-down-computer-when/35a5674d-782c-4143-87ea-03a1aec22d58
  7. Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan: Twice now I have attempted to run a full scan and both times I return to check on the computer and it has shut down. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-defender-shuts-down-computer-when/35a5674d-782c-4143-87ea-03a1aec22d58
  8. Windows Defender unable to complete "Full Scan"

Windows Defender unable to complete "Full Scan": Windows Defender is unable to complete a full scan or a custom scan that includes everything in the main drive. It is able to successfully complete a quick scan. When the program stops working correctly I have to restart the service through Windows Services. The problem...
  9. Windows Defender Full Scan Complete- 16 items scanned?

Windows Defender Full Scan Complete- 16 items scanned?: Tried to do a full scan after recent update. Scan completed after only scanning 16 files elapsed time 00:00:01? Only way to actually scan the PC was to choose custom and choose C drive. Is this a faulty update?[ATTACH]...
  10. computer not completely shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer not completely shutting down: Hi, I recent got a new Dell Inspiron 3670 Desktop with windows 10 Aug 30th and I have had five crashes involving hours on the phone with Dell Tech support and hours reinstalling my programs. I think I know what the problems is. When I turn off the computer the power light...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender full scan not completing

2. windows defender will not complete full scan

3. windows defender full scan causes shutdown

4. computer shut off when full scan windows 10,
  5. windows to shutdown after windows defender scan,
  6. windows defender scan stopped before completing,
  7. windows defender offline scan shuts off,
  8. why running windows defender full scan crashing pc,
  9. windows defender full scan not available,
  10. windows defender full scan keeps closing,
  11. windows defender full scan freeze,