Windows 10: Windows Defender Unable to Work

Discus and support Windows Defender Unable to Work in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently having an issue on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 where I am unable to run any of Window Defender's services including quick/full... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mattatatat, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Windows Defender Unable to Work

Hi, I'm currently having an issue on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 where I am unable to run any of Window Defender's services including quick/full scans, real time protection, cloud protection, etc.. I've attempted a couple of solutions listed below, though none have seemed to fix the issues:

• Restarting Computer
    • Modifying the System Registry added DisableAntiSpyware and set its value to 0, was not present beforehand
    • Installing, running, and uninstalling an Avast antivirus quick scan
    • Running Microsoft's Safety Scanner on a quick scan also including my secondary drive, and although I cannot remember the specific name of thevirus, there was one that it "fixed" that, upon lookup, disables Windows Defender features. I assumed the problem would be fixed then, but it was not the case.
    • Running Microsoft's Safety Scanner full scan and and SFC scan... at the same time. The Safety Scanner managed to find20 more instances of viruses which I was never able to view and was searching through the last couple files progress bar was completely filled, and the SFC scan was at around 60% when I received a BSOD. Upon its restart I received acritical issue before booting error code 151, harddrive error

None of these methods seemed to fix the issues as I still cannot use any of the services. I've scanned through Task Manager, nothing looks fishy and no processes are taking up a ton of resources. I attempted to check for updates it was last check yesterday, but I received an error when trying to do so. Another thing I noticed that I thought was a bit odd was clicking on a window on the taskbar didn't bring it to the front like it normally would, not sure if it's related to this issue but it hasn't been a problem before this. I'm really stuck; I believe something infected my computer and needed to disable the Windows Defender to do so, but I just can't seem to figure out what is causing it and how to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For reference:

Computer Name: Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1

OS Version: Windows 10 Home version 10.0.17763

Drives: I have three drives two physical; one boot drive, and one storage drive. The storage drive is split off into Windows files C: and my downloads D:

Previous Infections: I had a crypto miner once that was removed by Microsoft's Safety Scanner I was aware it was to be installed however I really needed the application that delivered it

:)

Mattatatat, Apr 22, 2020
  2. davidhk Win User

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Windows Defender Unable to Work [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Windows Defender Unable to Work

Unable to Remove Exclusions from Windows Defender

Thank you for posting back. If you trust a file, file type, folder, or a process that Windows Defender Antivirus has detected as malicious, you can stop Windows Defender Antivirus from alerting you or blocking the program by adding the file to
    the exclusion list. It seems that it was added automatically. We suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and select Update & security.
    • Click Windows Defender.
    • Look for Exclusions and select Add an exclusion.
    • Navigate to the file, folder, or process, and select Exclude this file.

If the steps provided did not work, we recommend that you boot your device to
    Safe Mode
    and redo the process.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Unable to Work

1. Windows Defender Unable to Work - Similar Threads - Defender Unable

2. Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset: Hi there. Four days ago, running a Full Scan, Windows Defender caught a trojan, Script/Wacatac.H!ml, which was apparently hanging out in Mozilla/Firefox. But then the Security "Protection History" said "Remediation Incomplete" and listed four folders of...
  3. Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset: Hi there. Four days ago, running a Full Scan, Windows Defender caught a trojan, Script/Wacatac.H!ml, which was apparently hanging out in Mozilla/Firefox. But then the Security "Protection History" said "Remediation Incomplete" and listed four folders of...
  4. Windows 10 Defender still unable to complete full scan after trojan detected and factory reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...: I can't the update and have a download error - 0x80070002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-security-intelligence-update/add704d4-2999-4231-89af-320230679300
  6. Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...

Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...: I can't the update and have a download error - 0x80070002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-security-intelligence-update/add704d4-2999-4231-89af-320230679300
  7. Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...: So, apparently out of nowhere, Windows decided not to allow me to change my defender anti virus settings.When I got a popup saying that a dangerous file was found, as usual I knew the file was safe, I clicked the pop up so I could override the file deletion, to my surprise I...
  8. Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...

Windows 11 - Unable to disable Windows Defender "Page not available, your IT administrator...: So, apparently out of nowhere, Windows decided not to allow me to change my defender anti virus settings.When I got a popup saying that a dangerous file was found, as usual I knew the file was safe, I clicked the pop up so I could override the file deletion, to my surprise I...
  9. Unable to scan files with Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to scan files with Microsoft Defender: This among some other issues:Action needed warning under App & browser control- but when clicking on it, the window will show for a couple of seconds and then crash never loading fully.Getting an error message in Windows Security- "Your IT administrator has limited the access...
  10. Unable to scan files with Microsoft Defender

Unable to scan files with Microsoft Defender: This among some other issues:Action needed warning under App & browser control- but when clicking on it, the window will show for a couple of seconds and then crash never loading fully.Getting an error message in Windows Security- "Your IT administrator has limited the access...