Windows 10: Windows Defender Unwanted Apps

Discus and support Windows Defender Unwanted Apps in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender has flagged an application it says is potentially unwanted app. Windows does not tell me what that app is so I can determine whether... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by johnhleopard, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Windows Defender Unwanted Apps

Windows Defender has flagged an application it says is potentially unwanted app. Windows does not tell me what that app is so I can determine whether to leave it or uninstall it.

Certainly there must be a way to see what app is being flagged.

:)

johnhleopard, Feb 18, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Windows Defender Blocking Installations of Downloaded Apps

Pictures

edouardlesly1, Feb 18, 2021
  4. John Sarc Win User

Windows Defender Unwanted Apps

Windows Defender Blocking Installations of Downloaded Apps

Hi Craig,

There's a possibility that the SmartScreen option is on that's why you're unable to install downloaded apps. Let's try to turn it off and see if it helps. See the steps below:

• Open Windows Defender Security Center from your Start menu, desktop, or taskbar.
    • Click on the App and browser control button on the left side of the window.
    • Click on Off in the Check apps and files section.

Let us know if the suggestion helps you out.

John Sarc, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender Unwanted Apps

1. Windows Defender Unwanted Apps - Similar Threads - Defender Unwanted Apps

2. Windows Defender can't delete a Potentially Unwanted App

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender can't delete a Potentially Unwanted App: I have Deleted the files. from download folder and the temp folder but still the status is showing active. and in actions there is no option to delete it....
  3. Windows defender running unwanted scans

Windows defender running unwanted scans: So I scheduled all of my scans for windows defender, as far as I can tell, to happen when my laptop is plugged in at night and when I am not using it. However, despite my best efforts to stop them, it runs scans all of the time during the middle of the day, managing to take...
  4. Unwanted apps !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted apps !: Good morning,after getting two replies about "unwanted apps" yesterday thankyouthe question is how do I install something I consider safe ? Will I have to turn off the protection while I download it and then add it to exclusions ? I tried to download it as a file this morning...
  5. Unwanted apps !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted apps !: Good morning,after getting two replies about "unwanted apps" yesterday thankyouthe question is how do I install something I consider safe ? Will I have to turn off the protection while I download it and then add it to exclusions ? I tried to download it as a file this morning...
  6. Unwanted apps !

7. Unwanted apps !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted apps !: After posting a question regarding unwanted apps, a few minutes ago I found this ! I guess it answers my question ! I am still unsure whether to turn this off or not ? I have used the Viddly downloader for a long time now so unsure what to do !BrianFound this !"Starting in...
  8. Microsoft Defender smartscreen unwanted blocking of app

Microsoft Defender smartscreen unwanted blocking of app: "microsoft defender smartscreen tagged an app as an unwanted app and wife accepted it and deleted it I need that app but cant get it back as its blocked"how do i get it unblocked* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  9. Unwanted Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted Apps: I have about 40 apps that automatically downloaded from the MS Store according to the Store without any request or action from me sometime after I installed Win 10. Many of these appear in the Start menu’s scrolling list of shortcuts, making it difficult to find what I’m...
  10. Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Defender flags CCleaner as Potentially Unwanted App: CCleaner, one of the enormously popular free PC optimization suites for Windows, is now being detected as Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) on Windows 10 after a recent update to Windows Defender platform. CCleaner basically allows you to optimize your system using its...