Windows 10: Windows Defender unwarranted phrasing

Discus and support Windows Defender unwarranted phrasing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Instilling paranoia should not be (but apparently is) a priority with Windows Defender. While Defender generally works quite well, is easy to use... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mike33(2), Dec 18, 2018.

1. Mike33(2) Win User

Windows Defender unwarranted phrasing

Instilling paranoia should not be (but apparently is) a priority with Windows Defender. While Defender generally works quite well, is easy to use (actually, it demands nothing from the user), and is constantly updated, it does have a major fault - it flags everything it doesn't know with "Windows protected your PC", and "Running this app might put your PC at risk".

I am a software developer (12 years on), and why my digitally signed installers should be flagged this way irks me to no end. I might not be so upset if those involved in developing Defender (hello Michael Johnson) would put a bit more care and attention into the wording Defender uses. Firstly, it is a complete mistruth that Defender protected anyone's PC from my software, which is completely harmless and innocuous (from a Defender security standpoint), as no protection is needed. The second mistruth is that there isn't even a slight possibility that my app might put your PC at risk. So Mr. Johnson, you claim to "partner with the industry to minimize false positives", but you don't say who you partnered with, and you certainly didn't attempt to partner with me.

The two previously mentioned "red flag" warnings directly infer to the user that my software poises a security risk (i.e. is infected), yet they do so without a smidgen of evidence. Quite the contrary, while Defender recognizes my digital certificate exists, it completely ignores its significance, as though my software wasn't even signed. Oh sure, the current emphasis it to encourage every developer to purchase EV certificates (at exorbitant prices), but to what end? If current certificate authentication standards are not sufficient, make the issuers responsible for stricter verification (which of course was to exist from the get go). Submitting my software to Microsoft for validation (which it passed 100%) doesn't even phase Defender. There is apparently no publicly disclosed qualification for when Defender stops its "protection" against bona fide, signed and safe software.

So, what actions do I recommend Microsoft take on the Defender "wording" issue? Here are a few reasonable suggestions:

Use "Windows wants to protect your PC" NOT "Windows protected your PC" (let's keep things honest Microsoft)

Use "Apps from unknown or untrusted sources might put your PC at risk" NOT " Running this app might put your PC at risk"

Use "More info and options" NOT "More info" which in no way indicates that the option to "Run anyway" (again, a poor choice of words) even exists.

Microsoft, your current phrasing is not cast in stone, it can be changed, and for the better.

:)

Mike33(2), Dec 18, 2018
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Challenge phrase requested on every boot up

Hello,

Just to verify, can you tell us the build version of your Windows operating system? In the mean time, what we can suggest is to disable the log-in screen and re-enable it again. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R to launch the
      Run
      command.
    • Type netplwiz and press Enter.
    • On the User Accounts window, select your username and uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
    • Click Apply.
    • Type your Password twice and click OK.
    • Restart your PC and redo the steps in reverse to enable the sign in with password again.
    • Restart your PC again and see if the challenge phrase would still occur.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Dec 18, 2018
  3. window defender

• You will want to print these instructions for offline reference -
    IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP perform all Steps in one uninterrupted session - If a Step says to reboot
    reboot.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Pləase let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains.

• `~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Windows Defender unwarranted phrasing

Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender unwarranted phrasing

1. Windows Defender unwarranted phrasing - Similar Threads - Defender unwarranted phrasing

2. Challenge Phrase

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Challenge Phrase: How do I disable the ANNOYING Challenge Phrase? I've seen a dozen "fixes" on the Internet and none of them work. One option is to disable the PIN but the "Remove" button is grayed out. How do I enable this option?...
  3. Challenge Phrase

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Challenge Phrase: How do I disable the ANNOYING Challenge Phrase? I've seen a dozen "fixes" on the Internet and none of them work. One option is to disable the PIN but the "Remove" button is grayed out. How do I enable this option?...
  4. Challenge Phrase

Challenge Phrase: When I put the challenge phrase in and then my password it won’t allow me to sign in and it won’t allow me to do other sign in options https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/challenge-phrase/68f1f103-ecea-4b08-a5f5-81545c7e080a
  5. Challenge phrase

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Challenge phrase: I am trying to sign in my laptop but due to incorrect password now its asking for challenge phrase and I don't remember the challenge phrase. What should I do now, However I know the correct password....
  6. Challenge phrase

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Challenge phrase: It's been about a week and every time I boot up my PC, it says to enter the challenge phrase. It works, but its annoying. I looked it up and they all talk about windows + r but I don't have a button to unclick/click that makes me not have to enter a password? I just want it...
  7. Challenge phrase

Challenge phrase: It's been about a week and every time I boot up my PC, it says to enter the challenge phrase. It works, but its annoying. I looked it up and they all talk about windows + r but I don't have a button to unclick/click that makes me not have to enter a password? I just want it...
  8. Challenge phrase

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Challenge phrase: Bought a new computer so want to sell old computer and clear hard drive. Windows is asking for my challenge phrase before I can do this. How can I find this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/challenge-phrase/2498d313-f6d1-45fb-a562-ca29bdd407bd
  9. challenge phrase

in Windows 10 Customization
    challenge phrase: I am being prompted to enter a challenge phrase, but when I try to type in the box, nothing happens. Is there any way around this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/challenge-phrase/0161a5ce-89d7-419d-bf3f-70b96c2779ce
  10. Challenge Phrase

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Challenge Phrase: I keep getting the request for a challenge phrase and do not know it. How do I change the challenge phrase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/challenge-phrase/1aeb908d-cba5-42f7-9c41-76db3c622aea