Windows 10: Windows Defender update keeps causing problems

Discus and support Windows Defender update keeps causing problems in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A few days ago my laptop wasn't turning off/on properly. It would take really long to shut down like a minute or two, instead of the usual few short... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by catarlna, Apr 12, 2020.

1. catarlna Win User

Windows Defender update keeps causing problems

A few days ago my laptop wasn't turning off/on properly. It would take really long to shut down like a minute or two, instead of the usual few short seconds and then when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't - it would be stuck on a black screen. I had to force it to shut down by pressing the power button, then when I tried to turn it on a second time it would turn on properly with no issues. At first I thought it was a one time occurence, however, when I tried to shut it down again, same thing would happen all over again - it would take minutes to turn off, wouldn't boot when I tried to turn it on the first time, had to force it to turn off by pressing the power button and try a second time.

I hadn't installed or updated any program and the only difference was that there had been a windows defender update installed on that exact day, so I assumed that was the cause even though I wasn't sure. I did a system restore from a few days ago, and the problem was solved.

And today, it happened all over again, the exact same problem. And unsurprisingly, windows defender had updated today as well. So it is obvious it was the update's fault. I did a system restore a second time. Problem solved.

However, I can't keep doing system restores every few days every time that windows defender update messes up my PC. I wanted to avoid turning off automatic updates too because I don't wanna make my system vulnerable, but if the updates keep doing more harm than good, I guess that's what I'll have to do until the update gets fixed.

I can't find where I wrote down the update version the first time it happened, but I wrote it down again this time, and I suppose it is the same one. The update is: KB2267602 version 1.3131357.0

My laptop is: asus zenbook ux534ft-70d15ab1

Any help is appreciated, although I guess there's not much to be done except fixing the update on Microsoft's part - as I really can't think of anything else that might have caused it, and the fact that those updates were done on the exact same day the problem started to occur seems like too much of a coincidence.

:)

catarlna, Apr 12, 2020
  2. TC-man Win User

Windows Update keeps failing!

Hi,

I had once a similar issue like yours, i.e. not able to update Windows 7. What I did to solve the problems is:

- go to control panel, then to "Troubleshouting" > "System and Security" > "Fix problems with Windows update" > click "Advanced" > choose "Apply repairs automatically".

And Windows will start detecting the issues and will repair "Windows update components". The problems should be fixed now, close the program, restart the PC, and see if the mentioned steps have fixed the problems you mentioned.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck!

TC-man, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Windows defender is not updating

Hi Mahendar,

You might be experiencing this issue due to a corruption of files related to Windows Defender. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• Have you made any changes on your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Do you have other antivirus or security software installed on your system?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you
    use the System File Checker tool
    to repair missing or corrupted system files. This tool scans for corruptions in Windows system files and restores corrupted files.

We also suggest that you download any pending updates that need to be installed through

Windows Update
    and check if it helps resolve the problem.

Keep us updated with the status of the issue.

Gino Des, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Windows Defender update keeps causing problems

Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender update keeps causing problems

1. Windows Defender update keeps causing problems - Similar Threads - Defender update keeps

2. Windows Updates Cause Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Updates Cause Problems: Windows 10 updates prevent PC form starting. Any way to resolves this? MS Tech service is ignorant and of no help at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updates-cause-problems/e819e8ae-7372-4a82-8367-546dbc7b9f09
  3. Windows Updates Cause Problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates Cause Problems: Windows 10 updates prevent PC form starting. Any way to resolves this? MS Tech service is ignorant and of no help at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updates-cause-problems/e819e8ae-7372-4a82-8367-546dbc7b9f09
  4. Windows Updates Cause Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 Update keeps causing me problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update keeps causing me problems: I've gone through 4 Windows 10 for home updates, each one progressively more harmful. The 1st one took about 6 hours to fail and undo changes, the next one took about 8 hours to fail and undo changes, the next took 8 hours to fail and leave Windows broken, which I could fix...
  6. Update Causing Problems With Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Causing Problems With Windows Defender: Just read this on Google News. Luckly mine hadn't updated and I put it on a hold for 7 days. Security Intelligence 1.313.1638.0. Microsoft has just broken Windows 10’s antivirus protection – apply this fix straight away | TechRadar - - - Updated - - - Already replaced with...
  7. Windows Defender Update Problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Update Problem: i keep getting reminders my defender is out of date, however when trying to update it always fails, how do i solve this issue, thanks [Original Title: windows defender]...
  8. Problem Updating Windows Defender

Problem Updating Windows Defender: Split from this thread. I have the same problem where windows defender and everything around it is just demolished. I can't update anything, I can not do the simplest update & windows security. I am really worried I tried to look as you said about if there might be an extra...
  9. Problem Updating Windows Defender

Problem Updating Windows Defender: Virus protection is not up grading [Original Title: my PC is not upgrading] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-updating-windows-defender/e24f874d-3446-4285-8352-7e8c28151e71
  10. windows defender update problem

windows defender update problem: i can not update my windows defender plz help[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/windows-defender-update-problem/cc27c522-2641-4c94-a915-f44a4698c6c6

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb2267602 unable to connect to internet