Windows 10: Windows Defender Update reverse engineered to deliver attacks

Discus and support Windows Defender Update reverse engineered to deliver attacks in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 Home. I ran Windows Update recently and a Windows Defender update came with it. After it finishes, I went to Windows Defender to do a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SamaruZoka, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Windows Defender Update reverse engineered to deliver attacks

Hi,

Windows 10 Home. I ran Windows Update recently and a Windows Defender update came with it. After it finishes, I went to Windows Defender to do a scan and discovered that real time protection is grayed out and cannot be enabled again. There is the possibility that my machine was attacked prior to that event, but not likely because I only use the machine for surfing. And I use Sandboxie to protect anything coming from the browser Chrome from touching the OS. I re-imaged the machine to get Defender to work again.

:)

SamaruZoka, Sep 27, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

About Ransomware attack

Here is Microsoft's Customer Guidance on the Ransomware Attack:

• In March, we released a security update which addresses the vulnerability that these attacks are exploiting. Those who have Windows Update enabled are protected against attacks on this vulnerability. For those organizations who have not yet applied the
      security update, we suggest you immediately deploy Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.

• For customers using Windows Defender, we released an update earlier today which detects this threat as Ransom:Win32/WannaCrypt.
      As an additional “defense-in-depth” measure, keep up-to-date anti-malware software installed on your machines. Customers running anti-malware software from any number of security companies can confirm with their provider, that they are protected.

• This attack type may evolve over time, so any additional defense-in-depth strategies will provide additional protections. (For example, to further protect against SMBv1 attacks, customers
      should consider blocking legacy protocols on their networks).

For the full article,
    Click HERE

DaveM121, Sep 27, 2018
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Sep 27, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows Defender Update reverse engineered to deliver attacks

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender Update reverse engineered to deliver attacks

1. Windows Defender Update reverse engineered to deliver attacks - Similar Threads - Defender Update reverse

2. Are reverse RDP attacks fixed currently?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Are reverse RDP attacks fixed currently?: Recently I've been given credentials for a certain Windows Server and I would like to know, being aware of past reverse RDP attacks that came into scene last year, but got reportedly fixed, whether there currently remains any known form of remote code execution or generally,...
  3. Defender delivering useless messages

Defender delivering useless messages: Latest Defender scan found issues for 10 apps. Did it give the name of the apps? NO! Did it give any recommendations? NO? We've been putting up with this nonsense since day 1 of MSDOS. I guess it won't stop until a few of these idiot developers are boiled oil, obviously...
  4. Windows defender engine unavailable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender engine unavailable: I have recently reset my pc. There was some corrupted files in windows. After reset, I've done all the basic updated needed. I also uninstalled Norton security which is pre-installed in the system. I wanted to try windows defender. But I can't update it or do a quick scan...
  5. windows Defender engine unavailable problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows Defender engine unavailable problem: windows defender engine unavalible[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-engine-unavailable-problem/c9928a48-be8b-4ff9-911b-3ce152b9d56e
  6. Query on Defender versioning Details for Defender Security Update version or Engine Version

Query on Defender versioning Details for Defender Security Update version or Engine Version: Hi, Myself Aniket, I have started working recently on MS Defender. I would like to understand how the Security Update Version or Engine Versiondoes the versioning gets a name? AMProductVersion - 4.18.2003.8 EngineVersion - 1.1.16900.4 AVSignatureBaseVersion -...
  7. Windows Defender Engine Unavailable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender Engine Unavailable: We have two laptops at home, in both of them we had Avast but we decided to uninstall it and use Windows Defender (+ Malwarebytes and Ublock origin). In one laptop everything works just fine, but in the other in the virus & threath protection appears "Engine unavailable" and...
  8. Windows Defender Device Guard: Attack Surface Reduction

Windows Defender Device Guard: Attack Surface Reduction: Dear community, I am experiencing a relatively strange behavior using Attack Surface Reduction from the Defender Device Guard. As recommended in the baseline security 1809, I did activate the recommended ASR rules; one of them being "Block untrusted and unsigned processes...
  9. Windows Defender protection network attacks

Windows Defender protection network attacks: Good day, 1) Please inform which modules are responsible for protecting network attacks? What modules should be included? 2) A test simulation of a network attack on vulnerabilities was cited, and no events were found. Tell me where is the information about network attacks?...
  10. How will Creators Update be "delivered"?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How will Creators Update be "delivered"?: Just a question about Tomorrows possible Creators update release. How will it be delivered? I mean will a WU show a KB? Will it say it is the Creators Update? I wish to wait a bit...perhaps 4 weeks for it to allow for some bugs to get fixed. I have set defer feature updates,...