Windows 10: Windows Defender Update still keeps locking up my PC

Discus and support Windows Defender Update still keeps locking up my PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop freezes up periodically, and virtually 100% of the time, it's due to Windows Update trying to update Windows Defender. I know this because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NV Steve, Jan 8, 2020.

1. NV Steve Win User

Windows Defender Update still keeps locking up my PC

My laptop freezes up periodically, and virtually 100% of the time, it's due to Windows Update trying to update Windows Defender. I know this because after I reboot the frozen computer, if I go to Check for Updates, it almost always says there is a Defender security update available.

Windows Update slowing computers to a crawl using 99% of processor resources or locking them up entirely has been a problem since XP! Why won't MS fix this? Why does Update have to take over your entire system? Why can't it just pop up a message saying it wants to update, then let you choose when, instead of locking up your system when you're working?

:)

NV Steve, Jan 8, 2020
  2. TC-man Win User

Windows Update keeps failing!

Hi,

I had once a similar issue like yours, i.e. not able to update Windows 7. What I did to solve the problems is:

- go to control panel, then to "Troubleshouting" > "System and Security" > "Fix problems with Windows update" > click "Advanced" > choose "Apply repairs automatically".

And Windows will start detecting the issues and will repair "Windows update components". The problems should be fixed now, close the program, restart the PC, and see if the mentioned steps have fixed the problems you mentioned.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck!

TC-man, Jan 8, 2020
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Windows Defender Update still keeps locking up my PC

Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender Update still keeps locking up my PC

1. Windows Defender Update still keeps locking up my PC - Similar Threads - Defender Update still

2. Windows Keeps Locking Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Keeps Locking Up: I'll be browsing the internet or whatever and suddenly the mouse cursor locks up and then a moment later the whole PC does and I have to manually restart it. It happens at least once a day. I don't know what's causing this but it's a problem because sometimes it happens...
  3. Windows Keeps Locking Up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Keeps Locking Up: I'll be browsing the internet or whatever and suddenly the mouse cursor locks up and then a moment later the whole PC does and I have to manually restart it. It happens at least once a day. I don't know what's causing this but it's a problem because sometimes it happens...
  4. Windows Keeps Locking Up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. COMPUTER LOCKED UP by DEFENDER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COMPUTER LOCKED UP by DEFENDER: Hellow folks:The following message showed up on my screen: "Access to your computer has been blocked for security reasons and said to call this number: "Contact Windows Support 888-912-5691 Security Helpline"Additionally, there is a constant recording dialog loop "YOUR...
  6. COMPUTER LOCKED UP by DEFENDER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COMPUTER LOCKED UP by DEFENDER: Hellow folks:The following message showed up on my screen: "Access to your computer has been blocked for security reasons and said to call this number: "Contact Windows Support 888-912-5691 Security Helpline"Additionally, there is a constant recording dialog loop "YOUR...
  7. Computer still locking up

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer still locking up: PC locked up, sound still plays in the background but needs hard reset (my previous post from months ago) They are getting worse in frequency. Literally after 2 days they happen and im at a loss at to whats causing it. My PC Just locks up most of the time with audio still...
  8. After an update my system keeps locking up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After an update my system keeps locking up: After an update my computer keeps hard locking and the screen goes black, I know how to remove the update, but honestly I use my PC as an alarm and although it hasn't happened yet I could just not get up in the morning for work because of this. Before the update I could...
  9. Windows Update still locks up or slows down my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update still locks up or slows down my laptop: Every time my Windows 10 laptop freezes up or slows down to a crawl, rendering it unusable, 100% of the time I find it is Windows Update trying to do something in the background. 100% of the time, if and when I can regain control of the computer, if I click Check for Updates,...
  10. Windows 10 still locks up when checking for update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 still locks up when checking for update: I reported this problem in Nov 2016 and it still hasn't been fixed. Ever since I installed Windows 10, my Acer laptop locks up -- cursor freezes, then CPU fan spins in overdrive like it's about to burn up -- so I have to turn off computer to reboot. Couldn't figure out why at...