Windows 10: Windows Defender updates fail since Apr. 30 although intermittently they do work after...

Discus and support Windows Defender updates fail since Apr. 30 although intermittently they do work after... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; failed defender updates since april 30... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by daneiac, May 10, 2021.

1. daneiac Win User

Windows Defender updates fail since Apr. 30 although intermittently they do work after...

failed defender updates since april 30

:)

daneiac, May 10, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, May 10, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 10, 2021
  4. Windows Defender updates fail since Apr. 30 although intermittently they do work after...

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 10, 2021
Thema:

Windows Defender updates fail since Apr. 30 although intermittently they do work after...

1. Windows Defender updates fail since Apr. 30 although intermittently they do work after... - Similar Threads - Defender updates fail

2. Nothing from Windows Update since Apr 13, 2022

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Nothing from Windows Update since Apr 13, 2022: KB5012599 installed on my Windows 10 21H2 pc ok. But no updates received since it was loaded...Apr 13, 2022. Not even Defender updates coming in. They usually come at least every other day. What's happening??...
  3. Nothing from Windows Update since Apr 13, 2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nothing from Windows Update since Apr 13, 2022: KB5012599 installed on my Windows 10 21H1 pc ok. But no updates received since it was loaded...Apr 13, 2022. Not even Defender updates coming in. They usually come at least every other day. What's happening??...
  4. Nothing from Windows Update since Apr 13, 2022

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nothing from Windows Update since Apr 13, 2022: KB5012599 installed on my Windows 10 21H1 pc ok. But no updates received since it was loaded...Apr 13, 2022. Not even Defender updates coming in. They usually come at least every other day. What's happening??...
  5. Windows defender not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender not working after update: My computer pulled in updates a few days ago, and now windows defender isn't working. It says that the threat service has stopped. Restart it now. I clicked the button, and waited. it then threw an error. I ran a scan with another program, and came up clean. How can i fix...
  6. Working on updates 30%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Working on updates 30%: My laptop won't update no matter what I do. It restarts just fine several times, but after the last restart when it says "Working on updates 30%", the circle is just spinning, but it doesn't progress at all. I left it for the night, and it still didn't budge in the morning. I...
  7. Search bar not working since failed update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search bar not working since failed update: Hello; My laptop was apparently due for an update yesterday. I began the update around 5 pm and let it run. I went off for dinner and forgot about it. Hours later, I expected the thing to be all done and the laptop automatically shut down. Instead, it was reading just 84...
  8. Windows Mar. and Apr. 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Mar. and Apr. 2020 update: I don't have problems with making my computer updates. They all work and i don't want "how to update windows 10" answers. I had my computer update automatically in March. Then , I found my computer user-side administrative security settings, found in folder>properties to be...
  9. Windows Defender not working after update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not working after update: After I recently updated windows, I had a few problems like -a black screen after sign-in -80-100% cpu usage on idle -Windows Defender crashing when I open it -No sound from the speakers So i reset my PC keeping my personal files, which did absolutely nothing. I fixed...
  10. windows defender update fails after 16299.309 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows defender update fails after 16299.309 update: my system has updated to 16299.309 ok but i keep getting a failed Windows Defender update error it's says it's downloading, then installing, gets to 100% and then throws error message below: "Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition...