Windows 10: Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently

Discus and support Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, thank you for your time, my Windows Defender always is using 47% of CPU sometimes even more, it makes my PC fans louder and it worries... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ImWolftom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently

Hi everyone, thank you for your time, my Windows Defender always is using 47% of CPU sometimes even more, it makes my PC fans louder and it worries that can damage my CPU in a long-term situation, I tried almost everything, even reinstalled Windows, I truly don't know what to do Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently :(

submitted by /u/ImWolftom
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ImWolftom, Sep 24, 2020
  2. armycyrus Win User

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe consistently takes 50% of CPU usage.

Original title: An App. called AppleMobileDeviceService.exe consistently takes 50% of CPU usage. I am not using iTunes. Apple says iI should ask Microsoft. I use AX oper. sys.

An App. called AppleMobileDeviceService.exe consistently takes 50% of CPU usage. I am not logged on to iTunes, nor is my iPod connected to my PC when this .exe runs with 50% usage. Apple suggested I contact Microsoft. I use AX oper. sys. Apple suggested
    contacting Microsoft.

armycyrus, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade (form W7) is stuck at 47% overnight

Thank you for the list of suggestions. That did not work : it is stuck again at 47% .

Any other takes on that problem?

Thanks.

AlexDash57, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Jeroen HD Win User

Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently

Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently

1. Windows Defender using 47% of CPU consistently - Similar Threads - Defender using 47%

2. Is Windows Defender Suddenly Using Constant CPU for Anyone Else?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Windows Defender Suddenly Using Constant CPU for Anyone Else?: this has just started today, I don't know if it's because of one of the Definition Updates, but Windows Defender the Antimalware Service Executable process is suddenly using 12% CPU at all timesI noticed it after doing a Full Scan and it was at a constant 6%; when I did...
  3. windows defender is using high cpu and power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows defender is using high cpu and power: for the past 2 weeks i have been noticing that my cpu is always above 80-90% even if im not using any application at all in task manager first i found that windows defender real time protection was consuming the cpu then i turned it off and it kept renabling itself so i...
  4. windows defender is using high cpu and power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender is using high cpu and power: for the past 2 weeks i have been noticing that my cpu is always above 80-90% even if im not using any application at all in task manager first i found that windows defender real time protection was consuming the cpu then i turned it off and it kept renabling itself so i...
  5. windows defender is using high cpu and power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Defender Smartscreen Using Lots of CPU

Windows Defender Smartscreen Using Lots of CPU: Anytime I open Task Manager, the leading item is always Windows Defender Smartscreen using between 30 and 40 % CPU. Is that typical, or do I have some sort of conflict going on? If the latter, how to resolve it? Thanks....
  7. My CPU is being used 100% because of windows defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My CPU is being used 100% because of windows defender: so my computer was running slow so i got on task manager and low and behold Antimalware Service Executable keeps on using 10% - 90% of my CPU i tried ending the task i cant, i tried excluding it sometimes works but not always because iturn off my computer when not in use...
  8. Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU: This is not normal. The Windows Defender SmartScreen is using right 27% of the CPU capacity. How can i solve this? submitted by /u/versattes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/en9h1w/windows_defender_smartscreen_using_a_lot_of_cpu/
  9. windows consistency use disk 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows consistency use disk 100%: This is the second week and My computer still show the disk presentage at 100% pc stuck when i open two chrome tabs or two multiple applications . and its really irritating . im thinking moving to better ubuntu or a debian platform . Windows will show 3-2 updates for every...
  10. Windows Defender is using too much CPU

Windows Defender is using too much CPU: Antimalware Service Executable process is using way too much CPU (55-60%) and my total CPU usage never falls under 90% unless I stop it manually and everything's back to normal again. I really don't wanna keep disabling it, but I have no choice currently. Anything I can...