Windows 10: Windows defender virus definition bug

Discus and support Windows defender virus definition bug in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I develop a plug-in for Outlook, and the installer is digitally signed using a recognized EV signing certificate. Within the last three or four days,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Raythien, May 6, 2019.

1. Raythien Win User

Windows defender virus definition bug

I develop a plug-in for Outlook, and the installer is digitally signed using a recognized EV signing certificate. Within the last three or four days, Windows defender has started identifying the installer as Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl . This is true of previously published versions of the installer that were not in the past identified as a virus. This leads me to believe that Microsoft updated the algorithm for identifying this virus and introduced a bug.

Can somebody from Microsoft contact me so we can troubleshoot this bug? I'm sure I'm not the only one affected.

Thank you,

David Cohen

:)

Raythien, May 6, 2019
  2. Rhina Vib Win User

Virus and spyware definitions couldn't be updated.

Hi Ogunmola,

There are several possible reasons why you are unable to update your virus and spyware definitions in Windows 10. The most common cause is internet connectivity. If you are online, it can be caused by conflicts with the settings in Windows Internet Explorer.

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Were there any changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are there issues with the internet connection?
    • Are you getting any error messages? Can you send a screenshot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

For steps to help resolve this issue with updating the virus and spyware definitions, you can refer to
    Giridhar J's post on this
    link

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, May 6, 2019
  3. virus and spyware definition

I followed the steps as suggested, and hence the problem got solved that time. But now again the virus definition is not getting updated. Its showing the same problem again. Any long term solution?

AbhinavSrivastav_790, May 6, 2019
  4. Windows defender virus definition bug

Windows Defender won't update the virus and spyware definitions

Hi Tobin,

Based on the issue that you are experiencing when updating virus and spyware definitions of Windows Defender, there is a possibility that another third-party antivirus is preventing the update or there is a system file corruption that stops the update from
    being installed. For us to provide better assistance, kindly answer the following questions:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10 device? To check, type
      winver in the search bar then hit Enter.
    • Have you made any recent changes or installed other updates prior to this issue?
    • Do you have another antivirus running in the background?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, May 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows defender virus definition bug

1. Windows defender virus definition bug - Similar Threads - defender virus definition

2. Microsoft Defender Virus Definitions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Virus Definitions: Does Windows Defender contain virus definitions for Mac, so that if I scan a file on windows that has malware targeting Mac, it will detect it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-virus-definitions/3ecfc677-1756-4a54-be56-d0b7992b46ee
  3. Windows defender virus definitions update question

Windows defender virus definitions update question: I've been using Avast antivirus for a year, and I want to remove it and use Windows Defender, but I'm worried that my Windows Defender won't update its virus definitions because there's an Avast antivirus running. So before I am removing my previous AV and use WD, I want to...
  4. Windows Defender won't update virus definition

Windows Defender won't update virus definition: I received a Windows security alert saying that virus and threat protection definition is out of date. Clicking on the "update" button just turns endlessly. Tried a couple of different ways to manually update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates; running the...
  5. windows defender virus definition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows defender virus definition: Have upate from windows 7 to windows 10. When trying to update my Virus and spyware definitions it shows me internet or network security problems. However all other windows updates are working fine, except for which i suspect is part of the problem the following. Security...
  6. How to update the virus definition for the Defender?

How to update the virus definition for the Defender?: I am receiving the Win 10 alarm sounded while surfing the internet, saying my PC has virus, and led me to the process for virus update. I am wonder it was a fake message, I would appreciate someone can show me how to get the virus update by down load the virus definition...
  7. Can't update Defender virus definitions

Can't update Defender virus definitions: I keep getting the following error if I try to update the virus definitions in Microsoft Security Essentials "The virus and spyware definitions didn't update (Date and Time) because of an internet or network connectivity problem. If I try to update through windows update I...
  8. Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating

Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating: Windows Defender update stalling and then not completing. Message says 'Didn't update due to an internet or network connection problem'. Have tried many times over the last few days....
  9. Windows Defender not downloading virus definitions.

Windows Defender not downloading virus definitions.: Windows Defender is giving me the error code - 0x80240016.. Please help. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/windows-defender-not-downloading-virus-definitions/d37f3158-cc91-4efe-b8d6-99ffa06ba509
  10. window defender virus definition update error

window defender virus definition update error: every time i try to update the spyware and virus definitions its popup a message that it couldnt be updated and shows error code: 0x80004004. what should i do?...