Windows 10: Windows defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart

Discus and support Windows defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How does one fix this problem? Windows security virus and threat protection says it needs to be restarted. However, when an attempt is made to restart... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by smoketoxdoc, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Windows defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart

How does one fix this problem? Windows security virus and threat protection says it needs to be restarted. However, when an attempt is made to restart it, it reports, "Unexpected error. Sorry we ran into a problem. Please try again." Trying again and again gets the same error.

I do not get this error on four other PCs running Win 10 64 pro.

Thank you in advance.

John

:)

smoketoxdoc, Apr 15, 2019
  2. JCH54 Win User

virus and threat protection

Virus and threat protection has stopped and will not restart, Windows 10 ver 1709, antimalware client ver 4.12.16299.15 . SuperAntiSpyware installed.

I have tried most of the suggestions from the support pages, all have been ineffective. Any suggestions

Moved from: Virus and Malware / Windows Defender / Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions / Windows 10

JCH54, Apr 15, 2019
  3. sherinsam Win User
    windows defender virus and threat protection

i am not able to turn on the virus and threat protection function of windows defender in my windows 10 laptop....

while i was trying to download one key generator , an additional a software named KOMETA browser also installed without my knowledge.......

and it changed the startup menu , start icon , and a small gadget deck in my desktop. and i tried a lot to uninstall the kometa browser , atlast i found the solution in malware tips.com . by looking down the procedures, i downloaded Adwcleaner to remove
    adwares , at that time windows defender virus and threat protection went off.... i also downloaded Malwarebytes to remove the browser ads... and i uninstalled both software . and when tried to scan my laptop with windows defender , it asked me to restart
    virus and threat protection , but when i tried to restart it , showed a dialogue box reading "Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again". and now i am not able to scan with windows defender....

sherinsam, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Windows defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart

Window Defender's virus & threat protection service has stopped

There seems to have been a hiccup in the Patch Tuesday updates that might need to be resolved with some unconventional methods of restarting the Threat Service (Windows Defender Antivirus Service):

Windows Defender - Virus & Threat Protection - Restart Now

GreginMich, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

Windows defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart

1. Windows defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart - Similar Threads - defender virus threat

2. Virus threat protection will not restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus threat protection will not restart: I keep getting a warning that the virus protection mees attention. I go the settings, click on restart and I get the error message that "an error has occurred please restart." I have dome this several times with the same results....
  3. Virus threat protection will not restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virus threat protection will not restart: I keep getting a warning that the virus protection mees attention. I go the settings, click on restart and I get the error message that "an error has occurred please restart." I have dome this several times with the same results....
  4. Virus Threat & Protection will not restart?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus Threat & Protection will not restart?: Virus Threat & Protection will not restart? * Moved from Win 10/Settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-will-not-restart/879dfe47-d725-401a-a925-869218efba05
  5. Virus Threat & Protection will not restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virus Threat & Protection will not restart?: Virus Threat & Protection will not restart? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-will-not-restart/879dfe47-d725-401a-a925-869218efba05
  6. Windows Security - Virus & threat protection won't restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security - Virus & threat protection won't restart: [ATTACH] Hi team, It's been a couple of days now and I tried letting it fix itself but can't seem to restart my Virus & threat protection. If I restart it, it says it encountered a problem. Has anybody encountered the same thing?...
  7. Windos defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Windos defender -- virus threat protection -- won't restart: How does one fix this problem? Windows security virus and threat protection says it needs to be restarted. However, when an attempt is made to restart it, it reports, "Unexpected error. Sorry we ran into a problem. Please try again." Trying again and again gets the same...
  8. Virus & threat protection won't restart

Virus & threat protection won't restart: I am getting, "Threat service has stopped. Restart it now, Restart now gives, "Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again." DISM and SFC /scannow do not give error messages 122731
  9. Virus & threat protection won't restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Virus & threat protection won't restart: I am getting, "Threat service has stopped. Restart it now, Restart now gives, "Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again." DISM and SFC /scannow do not give error messages 122731
  10. Windows Virus & Threat Protection Won't Restart

Windows Virus & Threat Protection Won't Restart: I downloaded a few files today, and noticed that my virus and threat protection was turned off. There was also some random program called Chromium that I did not download. I pressed restart for the virus protection, and it kept loading for like 2-3 minutes. Then says...