Windows 10: Windows Defender "Windows Module Installer Worker"

Discus and support Windows Defender "Windows Module Installer Worker" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to use Windows Defender as my defense solution because I'd like to use the Controlled Folders feature, but am having a few problems.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by danannn, May 29, 2018.

1. danannn Win User

Windows Defender "Windows Module Installer Worker"

Hi,

I'm trying to use Windows Defender as my defense solution because I'd like to use the Controlled Folders feature, but am having a few problems.

System is on 1709 x64 16299.431. No other antivirus, firewall or anything of note running.

First, the most annoying one: after activating Windows Defender, my system often gets stuck with the "Windows Module Installer Worker" process consuming an entire core worth of processing (plus some disk usage) and it just won't finish what it is doing until a reboot or I kill the process. I understand Windows Defender might be trying to update, but it's getting stuck maybe. This happens more often when waking from sleep/hibernate.
    Note that I have Automatic Updates disabled via GPO, as well as automatic drivers updates disabled. The offending process never shows up arbitrarily like this when I have Defender disabled, and during normal Windows Updates it takes my system just a minute or two to finish its job. I'm confident this problem is related to Windows Defender, and only happens when it is activated.
    This would be a deal-breaker to using Windows Defender for me, so I hope to find a fix.

Second: I'm trying to protect some entire drives from the root (D:\, E:\, ...) but it doesn't seem to work (as in, protect them from writes). I have an unlisted program I'm using to try saving files, and the writes are successfully blocked if I add specific folders to the list of Protected Folders (e.g. D:\foldername), but have no effect on drive roots.

Third: I'd very much like to remove some of the default folders from the Protected Folders list. After some searching, I realize this is by design from MS, but it's a nuisance for my use case. Does anyone know of a way to hack them off?

Alternatively: does anyone know of a simpler solution to block read/write access from unlisted programs to specific folders? I'd rather not use Windows Defender at all, really.

:)

danannn, May 29, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, May 29, 2018
  3. Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, May 29, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender "Windows Module Installer Worker"

1. Windows Defender "Windows Module Installer Worker" - Similar Threads - Defender Module Installer

2. windows modules installer worker problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows modules installer worker problem: I am using wimdows 10 OS. running every time and usage my resourse highly.how to fix that problem? also have windows update problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-modules-installer-worker-problem/ea127e06-58bb-45c0-b162-30801579d139
  3. windows modules installer worker problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows modules installer worker problem: I am using wimdows 10 OS. running every time and usage my resourse highly.how to fix that problem? also have windows update problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-modules-installer-worker-problem/ea127e06-58bb-45c0-b162-30801579d139
  4. windows modules installer worker problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WINDOWS MODULES INSTALLER WORKER 2 PROCESSES

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS MODULES INSTALLER WORKER 2 PROCESSES: I CANT EVEN END THESE TWO TASKS AND THEY WERE RUNNING FOR LIKE 2 HOURS STRAIGHT I NEED A EXPLANATION NOW AND I NEED TO DISABLE THESE NOWWWW. I TRIED ENDING PORCESS TREE THEN ALSO IT SAYS ACESS DENIED I WANT TO DISABLE THIS...
  6. Windows Modules Installer Worker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Modules Installer Worker: Windows Modules Installer Worker has been constantly running and draining resources with no updates needed and no way to stop the program. What could I do to prevent the resource drain or stop the program temporarily?...
  7. windows modules installer worker cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows modules installer worker cpu: Is How to Geek a good resource on this topic? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-modules-installer-worker-cpu/41f3d188-1d25-4a61-9a24-519a4a0c785d
  8. Windows Modules Installer Worker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Modules Installer Worker: Windows 10 running very slow . Windows Modules Installer Worker is using a lot of resource. Can I change its settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-modules-installer-worker/727d4264-9406-476c-8461-1bc5f17b46f2
  9. Windows Modules Installer Worker

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Modules Installer Worker: I just noticed for the first time that my Windows 10 Task Manager is showing significant (~25-30%) CPU usage for the Windows Modules Installer Worker. The latest update I did was some Windows Defender updates this morning. I am running 14393.321. I did some research and...
  10. windows modules installer worker..what is it?

in Windows 10 Support
    windows modules installer worker..what is it?: so, what is the windows module installer? what does it do? 65580