Windows 10: Windows Defender won't Complete Scan

Discus and support Windows Defender won't Complete Scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender starts scan but doesn't finish and I have a scheduled scan flag that doesn't go away . I click on it and it wants to run a scan.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mikebardon, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Windows Defender won't Complete Scan

Windows Defender starts scan but doesn't finish and I have a scheduled scan flag that doesn't go away . I click on it and it wants to run a scan. Anyone have this issue?

[Original Title: Windows Defender]

:)

mikebardon, Dec 17, 2019

2. Windows Defender not completing scans

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing issues using Windows Defender.

I would suggest you to go through the below methods:

Method 1: Set Windows Defender to Automatic

You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.

2. Search for Windows defender.

3. Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.

Method 2: Run SFC scan, it will check, if there is any kind of corruption on the operating system.

• Press WIN+X.

• Click on command prompt with admin.

• Type sfc /scannow and press enter.

• Reboot the computer once finished.

Method 3: Try the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/931849

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Sahil Bali, Dec 17, 2019
  3. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Windows Defender won't Complete Scan

Windows Defender quick scan fails to complete

When I try to employ a "Quick Scan" procedure in Defender, the scan progress indicator, coloured green, stops half way and does not complete.

The files scanned number continues the count as if it is doing a full scan.

My Windows 10 updates are correct as our the virus definitions etc.

Any suggestions on why the "quick" scan fails to complete?

Thanks

[Original title: Windows 10 Defender]

Tony Lawrence, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender won't Complete Scan

1. Windows Defender won't Complete Scan - Similar Threads - Defender won't Complete

2. Windows Defender won't scan automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't scan automatically: I just ditched Norton 360, opting to use just Windows Security. I thought that Windows would automatically scan my computer at various times without me doing a thing. Instead, I can go over 24 hours, and find that Windows has not done any scans at all. I have to manually go...
  3. windows 10s defender quick scan never completes

windows 10s defender quick scan never completes: Hi all and tearing my not much left now hair out! New windows 10s laptop. Under "virus and threat protection" showing a yellow warning triangle I get a message saying "quick scan due" with a red dot with a white x in it, along with moving dots below it. This apparent scan...
  4. Windows Defender won't finish scan

Windows Defender won't finish scan: I hope I don't forget anything. I was watching NASA live on YouTube. One of my messages was deleted. I sent another but someone else's name appeared. I was frightened so I quickly closed YouTube and then went on to restart my pc. When it came back on I tried to run a scan...
  5. Windows Defender unable to complete "Full Scan"

Windows Defender unable to complete "Full Scan": Windows Defender is unable to complete a full scan or a custom scan that includes everything in the main drive. It is able to successfully complete a quick scan. When the program stops working correctly I have to restart the service through Windows Services. The problem...
  6. Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A Scan'

Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A Scan': Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A Scan For full scanning windows defender taking more than 72 hrs but still scan is not completed. Right click in any file and folder is not responding. Can anyone provide solution on this??...
  7. Windows Defender Full Scan Complete- 16 items scanned?

Windows Defender Full Scan Complete- 16 items scanned?: Tried to do a full scan after recent update. Scan completed after only scanning 16 files elapsed time 00:00:01? Only way to actually scan the PC was to choose custom and choose C drive. Is this a faulty update?[ATTACH]...
  8. Can’t complete windows defender offline scan

Can’t complete windows defender offline scan: I just bought my laptop a while ago, all the updates are up to date. Just a few weeks a go i got some scam message or maybe virus from a webpage. I did a full scan nothing hits so i tried to do an offline scan but everytime when it gets to 90 something percent it would stop,...
  9. Windows Defender won't scan

Windows Defender won't scan: Hello. These days Windows Defender won't scan. I'm clicking the quick scan button and nothing happens. I'm getting a little bit worried because of it. Please help. Thanks....
  10. Windows Defender keeps asking me to complete a scan?

Windows Defender keeps asking me to complete a scan?: I run a scan but as soon as I have rebooted and within an hour or so it asks me again? I receive the notification in the taskbar and Windows Defender turns orange and states I am unprotected. So far I have completed 3 clean scans today but after a reboot it is as if it does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows scan wont complete

2. windows defender quick scan doesnt finish 2020