Windows 10: Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion...

Discus and support Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender is slowing my computer startup by scanning every single font I have installed (over 1000 of them), and it takes several minutes,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Stargate38, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion...

Windows Defender is slowing my computer startup by scanning every single font I have installed (over 1000 of them), and it takes several minutes, during which my computer slows down considerably (takes 2 minutes for iTunes to start). I always scan my fonts with Defender and VirusTotal before I install them, so I want to add C:\Windows\Fonts to the exclusion list. I already tried Virus & Threat Protection Settings->Add an exclusion->Folder->type in "C:\Windows\Fonts", but it says this:

Code: Fonts The folder name is invalid.[/quote] How do I get it to add? I've already tried %WinDir%\Fonts, but that comes up with the exact same error. What's keeping it from adding that folder? *Confused Is there some workaround to get it added?

:)

Stargate38, Sep 6, 2017

2. System and Security

System and Security

Defender

Exclusions

Windows Defender Won't scan excluded files, making your PC more vulnerable to Malware

Add an exclusion

When I get to that page I see

C:\windows\system321\Sppextcomobj.Exc

C:\windows\system321\SppextcomobjHook.Dill

C:\windows\system321\SppetxcomobjPatcher.ext

What do I do next?

Also when I get a notification to run Defender .. do I have to wait till it's finished?

douglasbartonND, Sep 6, 2017
  3. Danish_al Win User
    Windows Defender won't complete a full scan

Thank you so much! This was excactly what was wrong. I removed the 'c:' from defender exclusion and all was ok again.

This saved me a reinstall of win 10 (1607 version). Again: Thanks !

Danish_al, Sep 6, 2017
  4. Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion...

Anyone? I want to increase my system performance as much as possible, and this crazy problem is preventing me from doing that. I tried adding in a DWORD value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths, but regedit said "Cannot create value: Error writing to the registry". I already tried taking ownership of the keys, and giving my user account (and Administrators) full control permissions, but I still get the same error. How do I unlock the Defender registry keys so I can add the Fonts folder to Paths? *Mad I also tried running a .bat file containing "REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths" /v "C:\Windows\Fonts" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f" as SYSTEM (via Task Scheduler), but got error 0x80070001.

Stargate38, Sep 17, 2017
Thema:

Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion...

1. Windows Defender won't let me add C:\Windows\Fonts as an exclusion... - Similar Threads - Defender won't let

2. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  3. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  4. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't add an Exclusion in Windows Defender

I can't add an Exclusion in Windows Defender: I'm trying to add an exclusion in windows defender but it always shows empty, no matter what I do. It never add the exclusions OS: Windows 10 May 2020 [ATTACH]...
  6. Windows Defender - I can't add exclusions

Windows Defender - I can't add exclusions: Hello!, When I add an exclusion in WD, the list of the added exclusions does not appear. Does it happen to someone else? Windows 10 Pro (2004) (19041.572), fully updated. Regards. 167114
  7. Windows Defender not letting me add exclusion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender not letting me add exclusion: This is driving me nuts and I can't find anything anywhere about it, so here goes nothing. My dad (despite me telling multiple times it is not necessary) decided to run a full defender scan on our main house PC. Problem is, one of the mounted drives is our Google Drive...
  8. windows defender- Unable to add exclusions

windows defender- Unable to add exclusions: I'm using windows 10. I find that my antimalware service executable uses 27-30% of my cpu resources in times when I need to use it for other purposes which are important to me. As everyone knows that we can't kill this service in task manager, please someone help me how to...
  9. Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender

Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender: I make programs to solve needs I have. Many of these programs are TINY as in 50kb or so. On every other machine, double clicking one of these programs spawns a window within a second or less. But I got one machine that has Windows Defender running, and it takes up to a...
  10. "Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender

"Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender: For many years, I have used a custom "Hosts" file. I have read that Windows Defender will occasionally find that custom file and reinstall original. When I log on as administrator, the "Add an exclusion" line is gray and not a clickable link. Please help. 70897

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender wont let me add exclusion