Windows 10: Windows Defender won't scan

Discus and support Windows Defender won't scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. These days Windows Defender won't scan. I'm clicking the quick scan button and nothing happens. I'm getting a little bit worried because of it.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Eman Kurtalić, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Windows Defender won't scan

Hello. These days Windows Defender won't scan. I'm clicking the quick scan button and nothing happens. I'm getting a little bit worried because of it. Please help. Thanks.

:)

Eman Kurtalić, Jan 8, 2019

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Brian Cab Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Jan 8, 2019
  4. avemaria Win User

Windows Defender won't scan

right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender won't scan

1. Windows Defender won't scan - Similar Threads - Defender won't scan

2. Windows defender offline scan won't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan won't work.: When the offline scan is set my laptop starts to reboot, the Samsung logo appears., but the n a CMD screen flashes up momentarily and then the screen goes blue for some seconds. After this the laptop reboots as normal but no scan has been performed? What's wrong? I have...
  3. Windows defender offline scan won't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan won't work.: When the offline scan is set my laptop starts to reboot, the Samsung logo appears., but the n a CMD screen flashes up momentarily and then the screen goes blue for some seconds. After this the laptop reboots as normal but no scan has been performed? What's wrong? I have...
  4. Windows Defender won't scan automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't scan automatically: I just ditched Norton 360, opting to use just Windows Security. I thought that Windows would automatically scan my computer at various times without me doing a thing. Instead, I can go over 24 hours, and find that Windows has not done any scans at all. I have to manually go...
  5. Windows Defender Offline scan won't work

Windows Defender Offline scan won't work: Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get Windows Defender to run an offline scan. It restarts the computer and I see the blue screen that says Windows Defender but it never runs the scan and the computer starts up after that. When I checked the Event Viewer it said...
  6. Windows Defender won't finish scan

Windows Defender won't finish scan: I hope I don't forget anything. I was watching NASA live on YouTube. One of my messages was deleted. I sent another but someone else's name appeared. I was frightened so I quickly closed YouTube and then went on to restart my pc. When it came back on I tried to run a scan...
  7. Windows Defender won't Complete Scan

Windows Defender won't Complete Scan: Windows Defender starts scan but doesn't finish and I have a scheduled scan flag that doesn't go away . I click on it and it wants to run a scan. Anyone have this issue? [Original Title: Windows Defender]...
  8. Windows Defender offline scan won't run

Windows Defender offline scan won't run: I try to run WDO from the GUI, I get the UAC message "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device", and when I click Yes, it goes back to the Windows Defender GUI without running the scan. 142622
  9. Windows Defender won't do a full scan

Windows Defender won't do a full scan: Split from this thread. I have thousands of files. I just tried to do a full and quick scan. It scanned about 50 files in a few seconds and the pop up for the scan results said things were fine. This was not a full or quick scan. Something is wrong....
  10. windows defender is not scanning

windows defender is not scanning: that shows a notification that group or resource is not in state https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-is-not-scanning/e77931e3-9d2d-402b-9172-11787928475d

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why wont my windows defender scan

2. windows defender not showing scan history wont run scan