Windows 10: Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed.

Discus and support Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 version 20H2. and all the windows updates are applied. I also have a 3rd party antivirus Heimdal Home Pro - Thor Vigilance.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Basp11, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Basp11 Win User

Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed.

I am running Windows 10 version 20H2. and all the windows updates are applied.

I also have a 3rd party antivirus Heimdal Home Pro - Thor Vigilance.

When I look in "Windows Security". I see that Windows defender is turned ON, and THOR Vigilance is turned OFF. When I try to turn THOR ON, nothing happens.

I have tried all suggestions from SUPPORT from Heimdal to no avail.

Yet I can open Heimdal interface and all the Heimdal services are running. and Windows defender firewall service is running, so is Sucurity Centre.

Any help as to how to have Heimdal - Thor Vigilance show up as my main AV and windows Defender in a passive mode, would be most welcome.

:)

Basp11, Nov 26, 2020
  2. mic1217 Win User

3rd party AV program

I'm trying to turn-on Windows Defender and I receive a message to uninstall 3rd party AV program. How do I identify the 3rd party AV program
    installed?

mic1217, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Le Boule Win User
    3rd party AV program

The message you are describing may be observed if another antivirus program is still installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

Turn Windows Security on or off
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in Windows Defender

You may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running SFC, scanning for malware with Malwarebytes and running the software removal tools for any security software (Avast,
    AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

And see Configure Windows Defender in Windows
    8, 8.1 and 10

If you can't resolve this issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed.

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender?

I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for managing Defender called SCEP.

win10freak, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed.

1. Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed. - Similar Threads - Defender won't turn

2. Windows 10 -- Defender and Total Av always turned off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 -- Defender and Total Av always turned off: Windows 10 - At login I always have to load Total Av as Windows security states Defender and Total AV .are turned off. Evan after loading Total Av again and I receive Total Av cover Windows Security stares they are BOTH off.Regards DG...
  3. 3rd party screen saver won't turn off when multiple displays connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3rd party screen saver won't turn off when multiple displays connected: HelloI am facing a problem with Windows 10 Enterprise. I downloaded multiple 3rd party screen savers one at a time. When the screen saver starts while I have 3 monitors connected to the computer, I notice that 3 copies of the screen saver starts, one for every screen. But...
  4. 3rd party screen saver won't turn off when multiple displays connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3rd party screen saver won't turn off when multiple displays connected: HelloI am facing a problem with Windows 10 Enterprise. I downloaded multiple 3rd party screen savers one at a time. When the screen saver starts while I have 3 monitors connected to the computer, I notice that 3 copies of the screen saver starts, one for every screen. But...
  5. 3rd party screen saver won't turn off when multiple displays connected

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. 3rd party antivirus is turned on but windows defender is turned on to.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    3rd party antivirus is turned on but windows defender is turned on to.: Hi Microsoft i have a problem with Windows defender that say microsoft defneder is turned on and my 3rd party antivirus is turned on. normally my 3rd party antivirus is turned on and microsoft defender is turned off but for some reason microsoft defender turns on when my 3rd...
  7. Windows Security/Defender Turns off with 3rd Party Antivirus

Windows Security/Defender Turns off with 3rd Party Antivirus: Basically the title, I was told that windows security doesn't even operate when you have a 3rd party anti virus installed. Is this true? I thought windows security and kaspersky for example worked back to back. Thanks :) Windows 20H2 179412
  8. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  9. WindowsDefender won't turn off even though a third party AV is install

WindowsDefender won't turn off even though a third party AV is install: Hi, I have F-secure installed on a Win 10 pro computer but even though F-secure is installed windows defender is still enabled. somehow the computer won't recognize F-secure and disable Windows Defender. I tried reinstalling F-secure same thing nothing changed and if I...
  10. Windows Defender or 3rd party?

Windows Defender or 3rd party?: Ordinary PC, running Windows 10 Professional ver 1803 I run some Adobe software. And it has a few performance issues. When I related the situation in the Adobe forum, they recommended completely shutting off whatever antivirus I'm using to see if that fixed the problem....