Windows 10: Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive).

Discus and support Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive). in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone, so yesterday i run a full scan with windows defender and after some time i noticed my disk usage was a bit high. I opened task manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Elanordir, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive).

Hello everyone, so yesterday i run a full scan with windows defender and after some time i noticed my disk usage was a bit high. I opened task manager and saw the disk writing speed around 80-90 MBps. From what i gathered online, Windows defender, when confronted with zip files, tries to unzip them and stores the data on the drive.

The problem is that after the scan (it did find something malicious inside the zip file and i deleted it through windows defender) the space was still occupied with that ~9gb of data but i can't find where it is.

I used TreeSize but nothing seems out of the ordinary. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/Elanordir
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Elanordir, Sep 26, 2020

2. Size of "C:/system volume information" file size jumping to +9Gb for no reasons on an SSD drive

In your subject line you said this:

Size of "C:/system volume information" file size jumping to +9Gb for no reasons on an SSD drive

This statement is incorrect. The TreeSize picture you posted says that this folder consumes 4.3 MBytes. This is 2,000 times less than what you think.

Here are the folders that consume the most disk space:

• 10.3 GBytes - Program files
    • 24.2 GBytes - Windows
    • 6.5 GBytes - Users
    This is very reasonable and represents no cause for concern.

Frederik Long, Sep 26, 2020
  3. System Restore takes 9GB on Drive C:

what happen is that my DTS wasn't detecting the driver installed after i updated through
    windows update then i tried system restore now the app is functioning the way it should be but now i lost 9GB of storage in my drive C.

this is how much system restore is taking.

Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive). 7edf0219-a996-4f54-8f67-3063b2bdd002?upload=true.png

I need to know how i can reclaim the 9GB space from my drive C:

markloisIbañez, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive).

No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive).

1. Windows defender wrote around 9gb of data to my ssd drive (c: drive). - Similar Threads - defender wrote around

2. My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?: its so annoying if i want to maybe download a game which is 35gb and if disk C has 20gb and D has 20 so that I have to delete something else to download it....
  3. My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?: its so annoying if i want to maybe download a game which is 35gb and if disk C has 20gb and D has 20 so that I have to delete something else to download it....
  4. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  5. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  6. C: drive and DATA drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive and DATA drive: So I have had my current computer for a little while now, and I just now... I know silly me. Discovered a 1.8TB hard drive and its called DATA and I really would like to shift my current install to that drive, but I do not now how, so I have decided to ask here. I have...
  7. System Restore takes 9GB on Drive C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Restore takes 9GB on Drive C:: what happen is that my DTS wasn't detecting the driver installed after i updated throughwindows update then i tried system restore now the app is functioning the way it should be but now i lost 9GB of storage in my drive C. this is how much system restore is taking....
  8. failed ssd c drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed ssd c drive: I installed a new video card and when I went to boot my system up I could not, ssd c drive had failed to boot. I tried a boot recovery disk, I tried laying a new version of windows 10, nothing worked. Can I create a disk image from my failed ssd drive and how?...
  9. Tiny C: drive, humungous 'Data' drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tiny C: drive, humungous 'Data' drive: Before the new update I started getting messages about low space, and I have a 1TB hard drive. So I started checking around, shocked that I was getting these messages. I found that my C: drive was less than 200GB and a 'Data' drive was over 900GB. How does this happen, and...
  10. Recovery Drive over 9gb ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recovery Drive over 9gb ?: Hello Everyone, My desktop Recovery drive (D) is showing over 9gb full on my desktop. but my laptop is extremely less. Any Idea's as to why and how to fix it? Thanks...