Windows 10: Windows defrag doesnt defrag

Discus and support Windows defrag doesnt defrag in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro defrag utility shows my HDD as needing "optimization" saying the defrag level is at 13%. I start the "optimization" defrag process and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by FrankStuart1, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Windows defrag doesnt defrag

Windows 10 Pro defrag utility shows my HDD as needing "optimization" saying the defrag level is at 13%.

I start the "optimization" defrag process and it goes through 5 passes of defragging,consolidating etc then stops and still says its defrag level is at 13% - in other words - it doesnt do a thing.

Ive run DISM, and then SFC - its says there were corrupt files and they have been repaired./

Ran defrag again with no chang - still at13%

Thoughts?

:)

FrankStuart1, Nov 23, 2020

2. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Nov 23, 2020
  3. defrag

Hi Kim,

It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders
    cannot defrag the hard disk drive. We would like to ask for additional information. Please provide the following:

• Which build of Windows 10 are you using? To know about it, hit
      Start, type Winver and then press
      Enter. You could also press Windows Key + R, type
      Winver into the
      Run dialog and press Enter.
    • Are you using the administrator account on your computer or a Microsoft/guest account?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Since you've mentioned that it refuses to defrag, can you please provide us with a screenshot of it? You may refer to this

link
      on how to include a screenshot in your post.

Moreover, we recommend that you use the administrator account registered on your computer the defrag it. To optimize them:

• Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.

• Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.

Windows defrag doesnt defrag ee353fc9-cd9e-4635-b255-8b796f80c528-en.png

• Select the disk drive you want to optimize.

• Select the Optimize button.

Looking forward to the requested information and the results of the recommended troubleshooting steps.

PreciousLeb, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Windows defrag doesnt defrag

defrag will not open up in windows 10

Hi Fionna,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• Do you received any error message?

• How are you exactly trying to open defragment? Please elaborate the steps.
    • Which drive are you trying to defrag?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open the defragment. Follow the below steps.

• Go to file explorer and right click on the drive select Properties.
    • Click on Tool tab and click on Optimize and check if you are able to open defragment.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows defrag doesnt defrag

1. Windows defrag doesnt defrag - Similar Threads - defrag doesnt defrag

2. Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag . . .: I used the defrag, built into Windows 10 & 11It did, a good job! But, I was wondering?Is is there a third party, version of defrag.That would, defragment. A Windows 10, & Windows 11.Dual partition hard drive? Hopefully it would go, a little further?Any suggestions, would be...
  3. Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag . . .: I used the defrag, built into Windows 10 & 11It did, a good job! But, I was wondering?Is is there a third party, version of defrag.That would, defragment. A Windows 10, & Windows 11.Dual partition hard drive? Hopefully it would go, a little further?Any suggestions, would be...
  4. defrag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    defrag: I have had defrag schedule set to defrag every week. Being end of year I cleaned up some file work and wanted to choose defrag now. Discovered defrag not working for some time. "Option not available" is showing in last defrag box. I see older similar questions however...
  5. defraging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    defraging: were I find download for defragging laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defraging/6806d2b6-23eb-4065-bd91-8689786fbb81"
  6. Defrag

Defrag: Can one keep on working on the Internet when defragging ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag/51fced14-24d1-41da-8fb2-3bc9f0f0ae4e
  7. defrag

defrag: Does defrag remove files that I have deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag/dd96aa2f-354e-4229-9ebc-230e5ead0cd0
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. Defrag

Defrag: How do I defrag my computer in Windows 10? The instructions say to choose the search bar on the taskbar but I don't have a search bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/defrag/9f747c8d-5d36-4c2c-b933-227488d99d2e
  10. Defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag: Having set win 10 defrag to work on a daily bases - it's not working. Gone three days now and no optimization. Anyone come across this? or know of a fix. Pete.*Sad 30186