Windows 10: Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query

Discus and support Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, As I posted in another thread (about another issue) a while back, I recently installed an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by alexncfc, Dec 2, 2016.

1. alexncfc Win User

Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query

Hi all,

As I posted in another thread (about another issue) a while back, I recently installed an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Being my first experience of using an SSD, I did a lot of reading up on it, mainly about maintenance, such as defragmentation etc, and most reading has told me that generally, you don't need to really do anything - Windows 8 and 10 is built with SSD in mind and TRIM and as such should take care of all of this automatically.

But I noticed that in Windows Defrag (the UI) I have the schedule setting to perform maintenance weekly, as you can see on the screenshot at the bottom (I took this screenshot the other day and have only now got around to posting this) However, note at the top that it says 8 days since last run (and that was by me, manually) So this is obviously over a week. I left it a bit longer, and it still said that it hadn't been run. So when does Windows do this TRIM maintenance? Is it a case of it is doing it and not updating the date info in the defrag app, or is it something I'm going to have to go in and do manually? If it's the latter, how often should I be running this?

Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query [​IMG]

Many thanks

:)

alexncfc, Dec 2, 2016
  2. Rob95610 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade says I have SSD but I have HDD.

I installed Windows 10 and after the upgrade it is reporting my HDD as SSD when I try to run optimize. The task is scheduled but the drive is not available for optimization because Windows thinks it is a SSD.

I was able to run a 3rd party defrag, (38% fragmented!), but would rather use the built in defrag on the scheduled maintenance.

Is there a registry fix or something to report the drive correctly?

Rob95610, Dec 2, 2016
  3. HJLBX Win User
    After KB3163018 & 3149135 Automatic Maintenance Defragments SSD instead of Optimizing

After KB3163018 and KB3149135 were installed, I noticed that manually starting Automatic Maintenance that an SSD is defragmented instead of sending only the trim command to the SSD (optimization).

It's easily verified: just manually start Automatic Maintenance with the Defragment & Optimize Drives GUI open.

You will notice in the GUI that Windows defragments the SSD using multiple passes - Pass 1, Pass 2,...

It's a screw-up...

HJLBX, Dec 2, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

If you click the 'Change settings' button you will see that Windows will notify you only when 3 consecutive runs have been missed. A run could be missed because the PC was not turned on, for example. Wait three weeks and look again. Or set it to 'Daily' if you don't want to wait that long to see if it works *Smile

Oh, and on checking my settings while posting this I noticed that it had inadvertently been set for 'all drives' (I could have sworn I'd set it for C: only, perhaps the AU changed it back). Defrag says all my drives were last run on the 19th November (not by me).

Bree, Dec 3, 2016
  5. CmmTch Win User
    TRIM is performed immediately as needed without any indication to the user.

Verify that TRIM is working using this small program from this site:

TRIMcheck: Does Your SSD Really have TRIM Working? | The SSD Review

I've used it for years, it works great, small program that only uses a command prompt window.

edit: defragmentation is not necessary on an SSD

CmmTch, Dec 5, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Glad to see you're happy with it but does not guarantee that TRIM is actually working though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 5, 2016
  7. CmmTch Win User
    Yes, it does show whether it's working or not. Try it and see how it works, or go to the site. I've quoted one of their forum members below with an excellent description of how it works and what it does.

CmmTch, Dec 5, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

I did try it and read a lot about it too.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...-tool.2302578/

The program uses heuristics and by the author's own admission, there's no way to be 100% certain of the returned result.
    Even the output of the program states ; "TRIM appears to be working"....

Either way, better that than nothing at all, right ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 5, 2016
  9. CmmTch Win User
    Sorry about that fdegrove *Redface I saw that too, it appears TRIM is working, to me it's a good sign TRIM is working even with the disclaimer "appears".

You're right, it's not a guarantee, but it beats the heck out of no indicators at all. *Smile

CmmTch, Dec 5, 2016
  10. Phone Man Win User
    Check all your settings and see if they are correct.

Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query [​IMG]

Phone Man, Dec 5, 2016
  11. I have mine turned off. I thought SSD's didn't need to be defragged at all. Is the optimize setting different than defrag? I'm confused.

stealth2920, Dec 5, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

No problem at all. The problem is that there's no way of predicting where a file's written on a SSD and so on.
    For all practical manners we can safely assume that when TRIM is enabled it also does its job.
    There are some more complex issues like optimizing UASP Win To Go drives but that's another topic entirely .

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 5, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Defragmentation and Optimization:

All drives suffer from files being split into different locations on a drive regardless what type of drive. This can become somewhat cumbersome on typical spinners because the heads need to travel to read these blocks causing latency.
    SSDs being so much faster, suffering hardly any latency at all, do not require defragmentation but do require garbage collection, i.e. cells that contain deleted or no longer used information need to be cleared and flagged as clean so these can be rewritten to.
    That's what "Optimization" does in Windows on an SSD. When on a HDD it will defrag instead.

While you can defrag an SSD it causes quite a lot of writes on the drive which reduces its life. No big deal as modern SSDs can sustain an enormous amount of writes.
    But, given the low inherent latency of these SSDs, why bother ?

Some people claim to never ever defrag their HDDs but instead restore an image of it. While this achieve the same end result it also rewrites everything on their drive instead of just reallocating the fragmented files. Not very disk friendly if you ask me even though they think otherwise....

There's loads of BS on the net so don't believe everything you read but try to understand how SSD and their controllers works. After that, decide what best suits your needs.
    I'll be dilapidated for it but, yes, I do defragment SSDs occasionally....

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 5, 2016
  14. Thanks for the info. I will just leave it turned on and let windows 10 do whatever. It is now set at default so it optimizes the SSD's once a week.

stealth2920, Dec 5, 2016
  15. Mooly Win User
    I clean installed W10 onto an SSD and can confirm that the weekly schedule doesn't update as expected. I deliberately left it once and found that one partition that stores Macrium images (and so gets filled/deleted/filled/deleted) did eventually auto run after something like 20 days despite the partition being used daily for storing very large files (20Gb at a time plus sets of 0.2 to 2Gb).

I consider it a bug in Windows operation in the same way the system reserved partition always reports as needing optimising.

Mooly, Dec 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query - Similar Threads - Defrag schedule SSD

2. Scheduled Maintenance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scheduled Maintenance: Do I have to start and enable scheduled maintenance to let old files in winsxs folder removed after 30 days automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-maintenance/48929010-137f-4213-83a8-8db3afa18d6c
  3. Scheduled Maintenance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduled Maintenance: Do I have to start and enable scheduled maintenance to let old files in winsxs folder removed after 30 days automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-maintenance/48929010-137f-4213-83a8-8db3afa18d6c
  4. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  5. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't: Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10 normally treats SSD and HDD seperately and will only trim SSDs instead of defragging them. Which is what happens when I try...
  6. Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘: I can't start Maintenance in Windows 10 Home it shows last ran 10/26/19 any time I try to run I get a popup "Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘" I have tried to run SFC/ scannow no problems found, I have run DISM Tool, all...
  7. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. SSD Maintenance

SSD Maintenance: What does everyone do about keeping a SSD at top performance? Found a program called Tweak SSD,does anyone use this?. Are you suppose to defrag a SSD? Thanks for any tips and info on this. Z 39060
  10. query re- my defrag

query re- my defrag: When I open my defrag I see these options. What exactly are the top two and what do they do? They are both pretty large file sizes. [img] 16789